Work with one of our experienced academic English tutors on a one-to-one basis to improve your speaking and writing skills.
As an international or EU student at the University of Reading, you can book individual writing tutorials or speaking tutorials to get advice and input on your academic English. These tutorials allow you to ask specific questions and receive feedback on a particular piece of work from one of our highly qualified academic English tutors.
"The AEP is very helpful for our international students, and the teachers are all so nice and helpful! Thank you all so much!"
What support is available?
- apply for a maximum of two tutorials per term
- receive feedback on your writing or speaking
- ask for help with your language, grammar and academic writing – for example, in preparing a written assignment or presentation.
During each 30-minute tutorial, your tutor can answer your questions about language, grammar and your academic writing style. You can submit two to three pages of your work to be reviewed in the tutorial.
Although we do not provide a proof-reading or language correction service, if you need these services, we can also provide a list of private proofreaders.
How to apply
To apply for an individual tutorial, email firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief description of the help you need, using the subject line: Tutorial request.
In your email provide your:
- Family name
- First name
- Student number
- University of Reading email address
- Your current degree course
- Whether you require a Written or Spoken Tutorial. A brief description of the help you require. (If it is writing advice, please attach the 2-3 pages of writing you wish to discuss. Name your document with your name and the name of the 2-3 pages of your assignment before you attach it)
- Your availability.
A tutor will email you to arrange a tutorial time. Please note that we may not be able to see you immediately, so try to plan ahead if you know that you will need a tutorial.
Other English language support available to you
You can also sign up to a range of courses at any time during your studies, as part of the Academic English Programme (AEP) at Reading.