Dr George Gibbings
Technical Manager - Teaching and Research
I support a talented technical team skilled in analytical chemistry and archaeology that provide teaching and research support to Archaeology, Geography, Environmental Sciences (SAGES) and the School of Agriculture, Policy and Development (SAPD). I co-ordinate aspects of technical support that encompasses undergraduate teaching, laboratory organisation and direct research across both Schools. I am based on the first floor of the agriculture building where I manage all aspects of the SAPD molecular biology facility.
I enjoy plant molecular biology method development and in particular gene expression profiling and detecting sequence variation in crops. I established and managed a busy DNA sequencing facility serving the University and taught sequencing technology on the short course in molecular systematics. I designed and project managed the new molecular biology facility in Agriculture and established a genetic profiling lab at the University of Debrecen.
- Ordidge, M., Kirdwichai, P., Baksh, M. F., Venison, E. P., Gibbings, J. G. and Dunwell, J. M. (2018) Genetic analysis of a major international collection of cultivated apple varieties reveals previously unknown historic heteroploid and inbred relationships. PLoS ONE, 13 (9). e0202405. ISSN 1932-6203 doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0202405
- Bandupriya, H. D. D., Gibbings, J. G. and Dunwell, J. M. (2014) Overexpression of coconut AINTEGUMENTA-like gene, CnANT, promotes in vitro regeneration in transgenic Arabidopsis. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture, 116 (1). pp. 67-79. ISSN 1573-5044 doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11240-013-0383-2
- Tricker, P. J., Rodríguez López, C. M., Gibbings, G., Hadley, P. and Wilkinson, M. J. (2013) Transgenerational, dynamic methylation of stomata genes in response to low relative humidity. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 14 (4). pp. 6674-6689. ISSN 1422-0067 doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms14046674
- Bandupriya, H. D. D., Gibbings, J. G. and Dunwell, J. M. (2013) Isolation and characterization of an AINTEGUMENTA-like gene in different coconut (Cocos nucifera L.) varieties from Sri Lanka. Tree Genetics & Genomes, 9 (3). pp. 813-827. ISSN 1614-2950 doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11295-013-0600-5
- Tricker, P., Gibbings, J.G., López, C. M. R., Hadley, P. and Wilkinson, M. J. (2012) Low relative humidity triggers RNA-directed de novo DNA methylation and suppression of genes controlling stomatal development. Journal of Experimental Botany, 63 (10). pp. 3799-3813. ISSN 0022-0957 doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/ers076
- Prescott, C. V., Buckle, A.P., Gibbings, J. G., Allan, N.W. and Stuart, A.M. (2011) Anticoagulant resistance in Norway rats (Rattus norvegicus Berk.) in Kent - a VKORC1 single nucleotide polymorphism, tyrosine139phenylalanine, new to the UK. International Journal of Pest Management, 57 (1). pp. 61-65. ISSN 0967-0874 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/09670874.2010.523124
- Poole, R. L., Barker, G. L. A., Werner, K., Biggi, G. F., Coghill, J., Gibbings, G., Berry, S., Dunwell, J. and Edwards, K. J. (2008) Analysis of wheat SAGE tags reveals evidence for widespread antisense transcription. BMC Genomics, 9. 475. ISSN 1471-2164 doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2164-9-475
- Dunwell, J., Gibbings, J. G., Mahmood, T. and Saqlan Naqvi, S.M. (2008) Germin and germin-like proteins: evolution, structure, and function. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences, 27 (5). pp. 342-375. ISSN 0735-2689 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/07352680802333938