BSc Mathematics with Finance and Investment Banking
Expand your mathematical knowledge, gain practical experience, and help prepare yourself for a professional career on our BSc Mathematics with Finance and Investment Banking course.
Study a wide range of topics from statistics to foreign exchange and experience the thrill of live markets. This flexible degree will help you to develop your skills - including how to code.
- Join a University ranked 1st in the UK for environmental and ethical performance (People and Planet University League 2023/24) and the first ever winner of the Times Higher Education (THE) award for Outstanding Contribution to Environmental Leadership in 2023.
- Your study will take place on our parkland campus at Whiteknights, which has been voted among the best and most popular green spaces in the UK for 13 consecutive years in the Green Flag awards.
- Ranked in the top 25 in the UK for Accounting and Finance (23rd in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide, 2024).
- 98% of our research is world leading or internationally excellent and 100% of our research impact has been classed outstanding or very considerable (REF 2021, combining 4* and 3* submissions – Mathematical Sciences).
Grow in confidence as a mathematician
Join the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, and become a part of a supportive, interactive, and accomplished learning community.
Taught by expert staff with extensive teaching and research experience, you’ll work collaboratively across a range of topics in pure and applied mathematics. You will study mathematics for approximately two thirds of the course, and our modules are informed by our world-leading research, in areas such as:
- numerical analysis
- linear algebra
- differential equations
Your second year will feature a skills module, designed to improve your transferrable skills and enhance your employability. In your final year, you will undertake some mathematics and/or statistics project work.
This course meets the educational requirements of the Chartered Mathematician designation, awarded by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, when followed by subsequent training and experience in employment in order to obtain equivalent competences to those specified by the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) for taught master's degrees.
Finance and investment banking
Finance and investment banking will make up the remaining third of your degree. Guided by the triple-accredited Henley Business School, you will have access to the latest investment management technology, including our three dealing rooms, equipped with Bloomberg and Thomsen Reuters Eikon terminals.
You will have the opportunity to manage the risk of a $50-100 million trading book, quote two-way prices, take positions, and immerse yourself in the financial industry.
We pride ourselves in our high-quality teaching, which will be delivered through a wide range of approaches, such as:
- group tutorials
- group presentations
- open debate.
Tailor your degree
In your final year, you will be able to explore areas of interest in greater depth.
Alongside your mathematical and/or statistical project work, you will choose from a range of optional modules such as:
- Fintech and cryptocurrencies
- Private equity and venture capital
- Partial differential equations and applications
- Number theory and cryptography
- Applied stochastic processes.
Support across your studies
Benefit from being a part of two departments who will support you throughout your degree.
Support for the transition to university-level mathematics will be provided through regular contact time with your lecturers, you'll receive plenty of support, including:
- small group problem-solving tutorials
- materials to help you manage the transition to university-level mathematics.
You will also be encouraged to get involved with the Department of Mathematics and Statistics' Student-Staff Partnership Group, enabling you to have a direct input into the student experience.
You can choose to undertake a summer placement to gain valuable insight and experience. Alternatively, you can opt for our four-year BSc Mathematics with Finance and Investment Banking with Placement Year course, which incorporates a year in industry. Students on our three-year course can choose to transfer if they wish.
With support and guidance from the University, you can choose to spend two weeks, a semester, or an academic year of your degree studying abroad. Visit the Study Abroad website for more information about the possibilities and benefits of studying abroad.