International Foundation Programme (IFP)
Gain entry to degrees at the University of Reading and other leading UK Universities. You can choose to start in either July, September or January with options to study on campus or online. We also offer 4-year degrees with integrated International Foundation year (Year 0) in a wide range of subjects.
If you don't have British A levels or equivalent qualifications, the IFP at Reading provides you with a pathway to an undergraduate degree course.
As one of the first university owned programmes, with over 35 years of experience, the IFP gives you the highest quality preparation for your undergraduate studies and last year over 90% of IFP students were accepted onto degrees at Reading. You can also use our IFP qualification for entry on to degree courses at many other British and international universities.
We accept students with English scores from IELTs 4.5 and students can take a 1-year course followed by an undergraduate degree or one of our 4-year degrees with International Foundation Year.
International Foundation Programme Courses
Choose from our range of IFP Programmes:
IFP September Start - on-campus or online
IFP January Start - on-campus or online
If you need additional English, choose our International Foundation and Language Programme (IFLP)
IFLP July Start
We also offer
4-year Degrees with International Foundation Year
Find out more about IFP Programme options
After successfully completing the IFP and having met any relevant degree entry requirements, you will be guaranteed a place on your chosen undergraduate course at the University of Reading. Whether you wish to study business, law, science, social science, construction or humanities, the University of Reading has a wide choice of over 150 degrees. Popular degrees for students to progress onto from the IFP and those that can be taken as a 4-year degree with integrated foundation year include the following (* means they are available as 4-year integrated degrees):
- BSc Accounting and Finance
- BA Business and Management
- BSc Finance and Investment Banking
- BSc Real Estate
- LLB Law*
- BA Economics*
- BSc Economics with Finance*
- BA Politics and International Relations*
- MPharm Pharmacy
- BSc Food Science*
- BSc Chemistry
- MSci Speech and Language Therapy
- BSc Psychology*
- BSc Architecture*
- BEng Architectural Engineering*
- BSc Construction Management and Surveying*
- BSc Quantity Surveying*
- BSc Building Surveying*
- BSc Biological Sciences
- BEng Biomedical Engineering
- BSc Agriculture*
- BSc Agriculture Business Management*
- BSc Consumer Behaviour and Marketing*
- BSc Food Marketing and Business Economics*
- BSc Mathematics*
- BSc Mathematics with Finance and Investment Banking*
- BA Museum Studies and Archaeology*
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc Environmental Science*
- BSc Meteorology and Climate*
Most other degrees, not mentioned here can also be accessed from the IFP and a full list of University or Reading undergraduate degrees is available by selecting "View courses" or "Great course options" on the University of Reading home page:
- Among the top 30 UK universities in world rankings (University of Reading is 27th out of 84 UK universities featured in the QS World University Rankings 2021).
- University-owned international foundation programme with over 35 years of experience ensuring the highest quality of preparation for success on an undergraduate degree.
- 97% of students successfully met their entry requirements for University of Reading degrees last year (2019/20)
- Teaching by expert University of Reading lecturers who will help you develop the knowledge and skills required for success in your undergraduate studies.
- High level of student support. You will get a personal tutor who will monitor your progress throughout the year, meet with you twice a term and provide help and guidance whenever you need it.
- Studying and living on the award-winning main University of Reading Whiteknights campus with access to all the University facilities including the library, study areas, student support, clubs and societies. See a tour by IFP students.
- A diverse mix of nationalities and cultures enabling you to study, make friends and improve your English with students from across the world;
- Only 30 minutes from central London by train. Reading is a lovely British town with plenty of things to do in leisure time and is located close to London and Heathrow airport. See a video by IFP students.
- Guaranteed university accommodation including modern study rooms with bathroom facilities. See IFP student Almas give a tour of his room.
- A fantastic social programme including city visits to places like Oxford, Brighton and Bath and an Away Day that makes it easy to make friends and settle in to life at University.
"The IFP was a wonderful experience. I loved meeting international students from around the world, the campus was very serene and beautiful and the tutors were the most supportive I’ve ever had."
Find out more about the IFP
We offer a number of scholarships and discounts:
Moving to a new country is exciting - and we will help you settle in and feel at home. We offer a range of support, so there's always help if you need it.
And you'll get to make friends, have fun and develop your confidence on the IFP at Reading. We put on all sorts of activities and events to make sure you enjoy your time with us.
You can find out about our students' experience in their videos and their written testimonials:
There is plenty to do in Reading. Find out about University life including support, social activities, accommodation and more about Reading town centre:
The University of Reading also offers the International Foundation Programme at our Malaysia campus:
Find out how to apply to the IFP at Reading:
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
How to apply
Applications may be made through UCAS, or directly to the International Foundation Programme at the University of Reading. You should only apply through one route.