International Foundation Programme (IFP)
Gain entry to degrees at the University of Reading and other leading UK Universities. You can choose to start in either July, September or January and English language entry requirements begin at IELTS 4.5. With over 30 years of experience as a university owned programme the IFP gives you the highest quality preparation for your undergraduate studies.
If you don't have British A levels or equivalent qualifications, the IFP at Reading provides you with a pathway to an undergraduate degree course. While most of our IFP students continue their studies at Reading, you can also use our IFP qualification for entry on to degree courses at many other British and international universities.
Successful completion of the International Foundation Programme guarantees you progression to your chosen degree at the University of Reading*. Whether you wish to study business, law, science, social science, construction or humanities the University of Reading has a wide choice of degrees. Popular degrees for students to progress onto from the IFP include:
- BSc Accounting and Finance
- BA Business and Management
- BSc Finance and Investment Banking
- BSc Real Estate
- LLB Law
- BA Economics
- MPharm Pharmacy
- BSc Food Science
- BSc Chemistry
- BSc Speech and Language Therapy
- BSc Psychology
- BSc Architecture
- BEng Architectural Engineering
- MEng Architectural Engineering
- BSc Construction Management and Engineering
- BSc Quantity Surveying
- BSc Building Surveying
- BSc Biological Sciences
- BEng Biomedical Engineering
- BSc Agriculture
- BSc Consumer Behaviour and Marketing
- BA International Development
- BSc Mathematics
- BSc Mathematics with Statistics
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc Meteorology and Climate
A full list of University or Reading undergraduate degrees is available by selecting "View courses" or "Great course options" on the University of Reading home page:
Choosing the right programme for you
We offer 5 variations of the International Foundation Programme. They differ in terms of entry requirement, start date and choice of progression degree. For detailed programme descriptions, fees, dates and entry requirements, follow the links for each programme provided.
International Foundation Programme (IFP), September Start
The IFP September start is our standard International Foundation Programme, which runs from September and enables you to progress to any undergraduate degree at the University of Reading with the exception of arts and media degrees.
International Foundation and Language Programme (IFLP), July Start
The IFLP is a full-time programme running from July to June each year. This has our lowest English language entry requirements (IELTS 4.5, 5.0 or 6.0 depending on progression degree) and you will complete eight weeks of language training before then joining the Standard International Foundation Programme (IFP) in September.
International Foundation and Language Programme (IFLP), September Start
This programme provides 11 weeks of additional English language teaching before you join the January start IFP (details below). It is particularly suited for students with an English language level of IELTs 5.0 looking to study business, accounting and finance degrees in the Henley Business School.
International Foundation Programme (IFP), January Start
The IFP January start runs from January to August enabling you to start your undergraduate degree in September of the same year. Progression degrees include all of those in the Henley Business School, which include Business, Finance, Accounting, Real Estate, Entrepreneurship and Management, as well as Law, Economics, Construction Management and Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Consumer Behaviour and Marketing, International Development, History, Geography and many more. If you are a Science, Mathematics or Architecture student you should look to join the IFLP July Start or September IFP.
Integrated 4-Year Programme with LLB Law
This 4-year integrated programme includes a year of foundation studies before you begin your three-year law degree. By taking this programme you can apply for a four-year visa that covers the whole duration of your studies.
The fees, dates and entry requirements depend on the particular foundation programme. This information is found for each programme by following the links above.
10 Reasons to choose the IFP at the University of Reading
- Among the top 30 UK universities in world rankings (University of Reading is 29th out of 84 UK universities featured in the QS World University Rankings 2020).
- University-owned international foundation programme with over 30 years of experience ensuring the highest quality of preparation for success on an undergraduate degree.
- High progression rate of 79% of students progressing to their chosen degree at the University of Reading in the last 3 years. Students can also progress to other UK universities.
- Teaching by expert University of Reading lecturers who will help you develop the knowledge and skills required for success in your undergraduate studies.
- High level of student support. You will get a personal tutor who will monitor your progress throughout the year, meet with you twice a term and provide help and guidance whenever you need it.
- Studying and living on the award-winning main University of Reading Whiteknights campus with access to all the University facilities including the library, study areas, student support, clubs and societies. See a tour by IFP students.
- A diverse mix of nationalities and cultures enabling you to study, make friends and improve your English with students from across the world;
- Only 30 minutes from central London by train. Reading is a lovely British town with plenty of things to do in leisure time and is located close to London and Heathrow airport. See a video by IFP students.
- Guaranteed university accommodation including modern study rooms with bathroom facilities. See IFP student Almas give a tour of his room.
- A fantastic social programme including city visits to places like Oxford, Brighton and Bath and an Away Day that makes it easy to make friends and settle in to life at University.
"The IFP was a wonderful experience. I loved meeting international students from around the world, the campus was very serene and beautiful and the tutors were the most supportive I’ve ever had."
Moving to a new country is exciting - and we will help you settle in and feel at home. We offer a range of support, so there's always help if you need it.
And you'll get to make friends, have fun and develop your confidence on the IFP at Reading. We put on all sorts of activities and events to make sure you enjoy your time with us.
The IFP in Malaysia
You can also take the IFP at the University of Reading Malaysia, in Iskandar, where the following pathways are on offer:
* An undergraduate place at the University of Reading is guaranteed on successful completion of the IFP if you meet the progression requirements set out by the University departments for their degrees.
These vary from degree to degree. See Qualifying for your degree with the International Foundation Programme
In the past 3 years, 96% of students passed the IFP.
80% progressed to degrees at Reading while others used their IFP qualification to study at other high-ranking UK universities.
Discover more about the programme – how it's structured and how you'll learn, as well as the entry requirements and how you progress to your chosen degree.
How to apply
Applications may be made through UCAS, or directly to the International Foundation Programme at the University of Reading. You should only apply through one route.