International Foundation Programme (IFP)
International Foundation Programme
Gain entry to degrees at the University of Reading and other leading UK Universities. You can choose to start in either September or January with options to study on campus or online. English language entry requirements begin at IELTS 5.0. With 35 years of experience as a university owned programme, the IFP gives you the highest quality preparation for your undergraduate studies.
If you don't have British A levels or equivalent qualifications, the IFP at Reading provides you with a pathway to an undergraduate degree course. While most of our IFP students continue their studies at Reading, you can also use our IFP qualification for entry on to degree courses at many other British and international universities.
Accepting applications for September 2020 - No deposit required
We are currently accepting applications for the IFP to start in September 2020 and no longer require a deposit before issuing the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
With the uncertainty caused by Covid-19 this means you can apply for a place on the IFP and receive and accept your offer without any financial commitment.
Students with IELTs 4.5
Due to Covid-19, our July and September courses called the 'International Foundation and Language Programme (IFLP)', for students with lower English levels (as low as IELTs 4.5), will not be running. Instead students whose English is below the entry requirement for the IFP can apply for a Pre-sessional English (PSE) course before then joining the IFP.
Applicants with IELTs 5.0 or higher (depending on programme) can join the IFP directly in September or January in the usual way (see below).
Teaching from September
The University of Reading will be open in September and the IFP is expecting to welcome students to our Whiteknights campus for the start of the autumn term on Monday 21 September for welcome week and Monday 28 September for the start of teaching.
If you are unable to travel to Reading in time for the start of term in most cases the university will support your studies remotely until you are able to join us on campus. Additionally, for the IFP we are now offering the option of studying a number of pathways remotely for the whole year with our Online IFP (link to the IFP Online programme details below).
To find out more about the teaching arrangements for students beginning their studies in September, whether on campus or starting remotely, please see our University information here about returning to campus .
Video message from your VC
The University of Reading Vice Chancellor Professor Robert Van De Noort speaks about the arrangements for students starting in September in the video below.
"While we hope you will be able to join us on campus, we also recognise that some students will be affected by travel restrictions or advised to isolate for health reasons. If you are in this position we will support your study remotely, initially at least until you can come to Reading."
New IFP Scholarships
New Online IFP
In addition to our campus based IFP, you can now study the IFP remotely from home for the whole academic year with our Online International Foundation Programme. You can start in September or January and upon successful completion, you are guaranteed a place on your chosen degree to study on campus at the University of Reading in September 2021. A wide of choice of non-science degrees are available through the IFP online and further details are below under 'Choosing the Right Programme For You'.
New student videos
Watch videos of IFP students sharing their experience of joining and studying on the IFP at the University of Reading. see our Resources page. Order your free IFP brochure and calendar - you can order printed copies of the IFP brochure and calendar with student testimonials and pictures of campus.
EU students, as well as international students, are eligible to apply for the IFP.
Successful completion of the International Foundation Programme guarantees you progression to your chosen degree at the University of Reading*. Whether you wish to study business, law, science, social science, construction or humanities the University of Reading has a wide choice of degrees. Popular degrees for students to progress onto from the IFP include:
- BSc Accounting and Finance
- BA Business and Management
- BSc Finance and Investment Banking
- BSc Real Estate
- LLB Law
- BA Economics
- MPharm Pharmacy
- BSc Food Science
- BSc Chemistry
- MSci Speech and Language Therapy
- BSc Psychology
- BSc Architecture
- BEng Architectural Engineering
- MEng Architectural Engineering
- BSc Construction Management and Engineering
- BSc Quantity Surveying
- BSc Building Surveying
- BSc Biological Sciences
- BEng Biomedical Engineering
- BSc Agriculture
- BSc Consumer Behaviour and Marketing
- BA International Development
- BSc Mathematics
- BSc Mathematics with Statistics
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc Meteorology and Climate
A full list of University or Reading undergraduate degrees is available by selecting "View courses" or "Great course options" on the University of Reading home page:
We offer variations of the International Foundation Programme to suit your circumstances and needs. They differ in terms of entry requirement, start date, mode of delivery (studying on campus or online) and choice of progression degree. For detailed programme descriptions, fees, dates and entry requirements, follow the links for each programme provided.
International Foundation Programme (IFP), September Start
The IFP September start is our standard International Foundation Programme, which runs from September and enables you to progress to any undergraduate degree at the University of Reading with the exception of arts and media degrees.
International Foundation Programme (IFP), January Start
The IFP January start runs from January to August enabling you to start your undergraduate degree in September of the same year. Progression degrees include all of those in the Henley Business School, which include Business, Finance, Accounting, Real Estate, Entrepreneurship and Management, as well as Law, Economics, Construction Management and Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Consumer Behaviour and Marketing, International Development, History, Geography and many more. If you are a Science, Mathematics or Architecture student you should look to join the IFLP July Start or September IFP.
Online International Foundation Programme
Study on the Online IFP at the University of Reading from anywhere in the world. You can start in either September or January and will be taught by university academics through a mix of recorded lectures, bespoke online resources and live interactive online seminars and tutorials. Through these sessions you will get to know your tutors and classmates, building relationships, which will support you throughout your studies. Progression degrees include all of those in the Henley Business School, which include Business, Finance, Accounting, Real Estate, Entrepreneurship and Management, as well as Law, Economics, Construction Management and Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Consumer Behaviour and Marketing, International Development, History and Geography. A more comprehensive list of degrees is available here. If you are a Science, Mathematics or Architecture student you will need to take the campus-based September IFP shown above.
January Online International Foundation Programme
INTEGRATED 4-YEAR PROGRAMMES WITH FOUNDATION YEAR
These 4-year programmes begin in September and combine a foundation year (Year 0) with your chosen 3-year undergraduate degree. This enables you to apply for a single four-year visa that covers the whole duration of your studies.
LLB Law with International Foundation Year
The entry requirements for this 4-year programme are the same as the 1-year IFP for Law: you can join with an English Language score of IELTs 5.5 with no skill below 4.5.
4-year programmes in Science, Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
These programmes require students to have already met the English language requirements for the associated undergraduate degree. If you have not met the requirement then you can take the 1-year IFP, and on successful completion, progress to your chosen degree.
The fees, dates and entry requirements depend on the particular foundation programme. This information is found for each programme by following the links above.
- Among the top 30 UK universities in world rankings (University of Reading is 29th out of 84 UK universities featured in the QS World University Rankings 2020).
- University-owned international foundation programme with over 30 years of experience ensuring the highest quality of preparation for success on an undergraduate degree.
- High progression rate of 79% of students progressing to their chosen degree at the University of Reading in the last 4 years. Students can also progress to other UK universities.
- Teaching by expert University of Reading lecturers who will help you develop the knowledge and skills required for success in your undergraduate studies.
- High level of student support. You will get a personal tutor who will monitor your progress throughout the year, meet with you twice a term and provide help and guidance whenever you need it.
- Studying and living on the award-winning main University of Reading Whiteknights campus with access to all the University facilities including the library, study areas, student support, clubs and societies. See a tour by IFP students.
- A diverse mix of nationalities and cultures enabling you to study, make friends and improve your English with students from across the world;
- Only 30 minutes from central London by train. Reading is a lovely British town with plenty of things to do in leisure time and is located close to London and Heathrow airport. See a video by IFP students.
- Guaranteed university accommodation including modern study rooms with bathroom facilities. See IFP student Almas give a tour of his room.
- A fantastic social programme including city visits to places like Oxford, Brighton and Bath and an Away Day that makes it easy to make friends and settle in to life at University.
"The IFP was a wonderful experience. I loved meeting international students from around the world, the campus was very serene and beautiful and the tutors were the most supportive I’ve ever had."
Moving to a new country is exciting - and we will help you settle in and feel at home. We offer a range of support, so there's always help if you need it.
And you'll get to make friends, have fun and develop your confidence on the IFP at Reading. We put on all sorts of activities and events to make sure you enjoy your time with us.