BSc Mathematics with International Foundation Year - September Entry
Develop core skills and knowledge, and tailor your learning to the areas of maths you're most passionate about, with our flexible BSc Mathematics with International Foundation Year degree.
This programme is designed for international students. If you want to study maths at a British university but don’t have the correct qualifications, our four-year BSc Mathematics with International Foundation Year programme enables you to undertake an undergraduate mathematics degree.You will complete a foundation year (called Year 0) before progressing onto our three-year BSc Mathematics degree. This means you can apply for a single four-year visa that covers the whole duration of your studies.
The foundation year is designed to equip you with the subject-specific and general study skills needed to cope with the demands of undergraduate study. Our high-quality teaching is geared towards the needs of students from a wide range of educational backgrounds. 97% of students in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics said our teaching staff were good or very good at explaining things (National Student Survey, 2023).
For more information, visit the International Foundation Programme website.
A supportive learning community
In the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, we are passionate about creating a friendly, inclusive learning environment.
You'll be taught by academics with a wealth of experience in industry, who are actively contributing to relevant research in a wide range of areas. Our real-world expertise will enhance your learning and understanding, keeping you updated with the latest developments in mathematics.
We aim to:
- deliver high-quality, interactive teaching
- collaborate with students to create an exceptional learning environment
- develop your knowledge and skills through varied teaching and assessment methods
- boost your confidence in mathematics and preparing you for employment.
In addition to regular contact time with your lecturers, you'll receive plenty of support, including:
- small group problem-solving tutorials
- materials to help you manage the transition to university-level mathematics.
You'll also be encouraged to join our Department's Student Staff Partnership Group, enabling you to have a direct input into the student experience.
97% of students in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics said our teaching staff were good or very good at explaining things (National Student Survey, 2023).
Professional placements with BSc Mathematics
We offer a variety of summer placements – in areas such as finance, statistics or modelling – to provide you with valuable experience and insight into industry.
Our dedicated placements officer can offer advice and support to find your ideal placement, as well as developing your CV and interview skills.
Alternatively, we can choose BSc Mathematics with Placement Year, a four-year version of this course with an integrated work placement between your second and final year.
Hear from our BSc Mathematics students
- Alice Winduss took full advantage of the opportunities available during her degree, including a work placement, using her skills to land a role working at the University of Reading.
- Sally Cockayne completed a placement as a student statistician at GSK, allowing her to gain valuable experience and helping her decide on a future career.
- Gwen Perry had a positive experience during her placement with Thames Water, supporting her aspirations in statistics.