Find out about how we'll be delivering our courses in 2020.
Engage in critical, current debates in education to develop skills for a wide range of educational careers with our BA Education Studies degree.
This flexible, full-time course is timetabled over three days each week, giving you time to balance your studies with other commitments.
Taught by leading researchers at the Institute of Education, you'll examine:
- educational debates with a strong focus on learning theories, sustainability and global education
- topical issues including the impact of inclusive practice, the reality of social justice, and the benefits of multilingualism
- education in its creative, cultural, political and sociological contexts.
Deepen your understanding of how children and adults learn by exploring everything from different learning environments to fundamental moral and social questions, such as the links between health and learning. You'll also investigate the existing and future opportunities – and challenges – in educational practice.
Choose BA Education Studies at the University of Reading
- Our Institute of Education is ranked 7th in the UK for Education in The Guardian University Guide 2021.
- Assessment is 100% coursework-based.
- Tailor the degree to your academic and professional interests with our wide range of optional modules.
This degree blends theory with practice to offer you a well-rounded, comprehensive education. Some of this valuable, real-life practice is acquired through a four-week placement in your second year.
Depending on your career aspirations, a variety of placement settings – for example, in a school, museum or gallery – could be arranged.
A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check may be required, depending on the type of placement setting you choose.
Depending on your course, you could spend two weeks, a term, or an academic year abroad. This can be part of a standard three-year degree, an extended four-year degree, or a shorter length of time such as a summer school.
We'll help you decide where to go and for how long, guide you through the application process, and support you when you're abroad.
To find out more about the benefits of studying abroad, and discover where you could go, visit the Study Abroad website.
What our BA Education Studies students say
- Olivia Beeston is a UK student who chose our BA Education Studies degree because it gives her the opportunity to study the impact of education in depth.
- Weitong Liu is an international student from China. She recommends taking full advantage of academic writing support.
- Aya Yaucat-Guendi worked in marketing and advertising before moving to the UK and pursuing her lifelong dream of working in education. She's found our lecturers to be supportive and passionate about education and student success.