- Therapeutics and medicines optimization A2: Molecules and Medicines (PM2A2) module convener
- Student development portfolio lead
- Personal capture champion
- Teaching on MPharm and Foundation in Pharmaceutical and Health Sciences Programmes (split across all department subdivisions)
Areas of interest
With a background in hospital pharmacy, pharmaceutical formulation and veterinary medicine, I am an interdisciplinary researcher with a focus on teaching.
My main research area is in the design of topical and oral formulation for the delivery of drugs in both human and veterinary healthcare. My research develops new or modified drug delivery formulations based on encapsulation, interpolymer complexes, microneedle and gelation, focusing on the delivery of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs.
The aim of this research is to improve the efficiency for current medicines, with a drive towards personalization of treatments in both humans and animals.
Alongside this I have a keen interest in developing enhanced Teaching and Learning strategies, programming new electronic platforms for either the support or delivery of course material. This has led to work on the incorporation of sensor-based technologies using the Internet of Things (IoT) and how these can be applied in pharmacy.
- Associate Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Member of the Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Bizley, S. , Branson, A. , Fletcher, K. , Ho, A. ORCID: 0000-0002-2581-126X , Millmore, A. ORCID: 0000-0002-8626-0713 , Sinclair-Graham, S. (2023) Multidisciplinary approaches to reflective practices supporting student transitions into employment. In: Willison, D. and Henderson, E. , (eds.) Perspectives on Enhancing Student Transition Into Higher Education and Beyond. IGI Global , Hershey, Pennsylvania. pp. 212-237. ISBN: 9781668481981 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4018/978-1-6684-8198-1.ch010
- Bizley, S. , Dudhia, J. , Smith, R. , Williams, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-3654-7916 (2023) Transdermal drug delivery in horses: an in vitro comparison of skin structure and permeation of two model drugs at various anatomical sites. Veterinary Dermatology , 34 (3). pp. 235-245. ISSN: 1365-3164 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/vde.13162
- Diep, T. , Needs, S. , Bizley, S. , Edwards, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-2369-989X (2022) Rapid bacterial motility monitoring using inexpensive 3D-printed openflexure microscopy allows microfluidic antibiotic susceptibility testing. Micromachines , 13 (11). ISSN: 2072-666X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/mi13111974
- Diep, T. ORCID: 0000-0001-7166-6369 , Bizley, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-4971-777X , Edwards, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-2369-989X (2022) 3D-printed dip slides miniaturize bacterial identification and antibiotic susceptibility tests allowing direct mastitis sample analysis. Micromachines , 13 (6). pp. 941. ISSN: 2072-666X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/mi13060941
- Diep, T. , Bizley, S. , Ray, P. ORCID: 0000-0001-8375-8279 , Edwards, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-2369-989X (2021) MicroMI: a portable microbiological mobile incubator that uses inexpensive lithium power banks for field microbiology. HardwareX , 10 ISSN: 24680672 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ohx.2021.e00242
- Bizley, S. , Williams, A. , Khutoryanskiy, V. (2014) Thermodynamic and kinetic properties of interpolymer complexes assessed by isothermal titration calorimetry and surface plasmon resonance. Soft Matter , 10 pp. 8254-8260. ISSN: 1744-683X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1039/C4SM01138D