- Module convenor for Delivering Pharmacy Services 1 (PM2D)
- University Research and Ethics Committee member
- Health Humanities Research Centre steering committee member
- Main Teaching: MPharm Programme (including PM1C, PM2D, PM3C, PM4A and PM4B)
Areas of interest
My research is about enhancing and creating safe use of medications in healthcare settings and peoples' homes. Informed by my experience and training in pharmacy and human factors, I lead and collaborate in research on medication management in dementia, insulin infusions and antimicrobial resistance.
My work is largely collaborative, interdisciplinary and co-produced with users, an approach that I believe is key to generating meaningful and sustainable impact in applied research. A range of competitive funders including the Wellcome Trust, Arts and Humanities Research Council, Global Challenges Research Fund pump-priming funds, fund my recent and current research.
Research highlights include:
- Medication safety in care homes: systems analysis of the medication system, developed a new method to analyse medication errors, error analysis.
- Methodological development: 1. Prospective Hazard Analysis - developed a toolkit of methods suitable for use in healthcare 2. Cognitive Work Analysis - application of methodology in care homes and in-patient diabetes management 3. Video-reflexive Ethnography - part of a wider feasibility study to explore Resilient Healthcare in a hospital in-patient setting on the use of intravenous insulin infusions
- Medication management in dementia: peoples' experiences of managing medication in dementia at home, wider systems issues
- Antimicrobial resistance: the development of a UK antimicrobial stewardship framework for undergraduate healthcare students, developing, implementing and evaluating healthcare interventions to improve antibiotic prescribing by non-medical prescribers and designing and communicating antimicrobial resistance messages to community pharmacy users in the UK (https://amrpharmacy.org) and in a Rwandan setting.
- Associate Editor BMC Health Services Research
- Chartered Institute of Human Factors and Ergonomics Pharmaceutical Human Factors Education and Training sub-team member
- Q Co-Production Special Interest Group co-convenor
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the General Pharmaceutical Council
- Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Associate member of the Chartered Institute of Human Factors and Ergonomics
Lim R (2012) An evaluation of the King's NIHR Patient Safety and Service Quality Research Centre's NHS Staff Secondment Programme. Report to the NIHR PSSQ Research Centre, King's College London, UK.
Ross AJ, Anderson JE, Kodate N, Thompson K, Lim R (2012) Evaluation of a training intervention to improve care of older people, June and July 2011.
Anderson, J., Ross, A.J., Lim. R., Thompson, K. & Kodate, N. (2012) Understanding team processes in nursing care of older people using the Health Care Team (HCT) model. Organisational Behaviour in Health Care (OBHC) 15-18 April 2012 Dublin, Ireland
Buckle, P., Ward, J., Anderson, J., Lim, R., Berman, J., & Clarkson, P. (2011). Developing Prospective Hazard Analysis in Healthcare: Evaluating the operating theatre environment using a new toolkit. Proceedings of the Healthcare Ergonomics Systems and Patient Safety (HEPS) conference, 22-24 June, Oviedo, Spain.
Courtenay M. and Lim R. (2010) Non-Medical Prescribing Lead. Report to the South East Coast Strategic Health Authority, UK.
Ward J., Clarkson P., Buckle P., Berman J., Lim R. & Jun G. (2010) Prospective hazard analysis: Tailoring prospective methods to a healthcare context. Report to the Patient Safety Research Portfolio, Department of Health, UK.
Buckle P., Hanna G. & Lim R. (2010) The design of the physical environment and the influence on patient safety during the peri-operative process. Report to the National Patient Safety Agency, UK.
Alldred D., Barber N., Buckle P., Carpenter J., Dean-Franklin B., Dickinson R., Garfield S., Jesson B., Lim R., Raynor D., Savage I., Standage C., Wadsworth P., Woloshynowych M. & Zermansky A. (2009) Care Home Use of Medicines Study (CHUMS) Medication errors in nursing and residential care homes - prevalence, consequences, causes and solutions. Report to the Patient Safety Research Portfolio, Department of Health, UK. Available on http://www.haps.bham.ac.uk/publichealth/psrp/PS025_Project_Summary.shtml
Lim R (2009) A new method for analysing and improving complex systems in healthcare. Festival of Research, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey. Selected oral presentation.
Anderson J., Lim R. & Buckle P. (2009). Healthcare users' requirements for proactive hazard analysis tools: A systems view. Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Europe Chapter Annual Meeting, 14-16 October 2009, Sweden.
Lim R., Anderson J. & Buckle P. (2008) Analysing care home medication errors: A comparison of The London Protocol and Work Domain Analysis. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 52nd Annual Meeting 22-26 September 2008, New York, USA.
Lim R., Anderson J. & Buckle P. (2008) Analysing care home medication errors using work domain analysis. In Hignett et al. (Eds) Improving Patient Safety 2008 'From Safe Design to Safe Practice'. Proceedings of the Improving Patient Safety
Conference 16-18 July 2008, Cambridge, UK. Loughborough, The Ergonomics Society, pp. 147-151
Lim R (2008) A systems approach to medication safety in care homes: Understanding the medication system, investigating medication errors and identifying the requirements of a safe medication system. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Surrey, Guildford, UK.
Anderson J., Buckle P. & Lim R. (2008) Cognitive Work Analysis: A systems approach to patient safety. Proceedings of the Healthcare Systems Ergonomics and Patient Safety 25-27 June 2008, Strasbourg, France.
Wadsworth P, Buckle P, Lim R, Anderson J and the CHUMS Team (2008) Ergonomics of the medication round in care homes. In: Improving Patient Safety 2008 'From Safe Design to Safe Practice'. Eds Hignett S, Norris B, Catchpole K, Hutchinson A and Tapley S. Publ Ergonomics Society, England ISBN 978-0-9554225-2-2 pp 159-163
Lim R., Anderson J. & Buckle P. (2007) Using Work Domain Analysis to understand the Care Home Medication System. Proceedings of the Patient Safety Research Conference, 24-26 September, Porto, Portugal. Poster.
Lim R., Anderson J., Buckle P. & Watkinson J. (2007) Developing Healthcare Process Models: An example from the care home system. In Bust, P (Ed) Contemporary Ergonomics 2007. Proceedings of the Ergonomics Society Annual Conference 17-19 April 2007, Nottingham, UK. Wiltshire, Taylor & Francis, pp. 475-480.
Wadsworth P., Lim R., Anderson J. & Buckle P. (2007) Can ergonomics help care for us in our twilight years? In Bust, P (Ed) Contemporary Ergonomics 2007. Proceedings of the Ergonomics Society Annual Conference 17-19 April 2007, Nottingham, UK. Wiltshire, Taylor & Francis, pp. 481- 486.
Buckle P., Anderson J., Ward J., Jeffcott S., Snadden C., Gleeson A., Lim R. & Wadsworth P. (2007) Patient safety: An ergonomics study of innovative design in pharmaceutical packaging. In Bust, P (Ed) Contemporary Ergonomics 2007. Proceedings of the Ergonomics Society Annual Conference 17-19 April 2007, Nottingham, UK. Wiltshire, Taylor & Francis, pp.457-462.
- Khan, X. , Rymer, C. , Ray, P. ORCID: 0000-0001-8375-8279 , Lim, R. ORCID: 0000-0003-1705-1480 (2021) Quantification of antimicrobial use in Fijian livestock farms. One Health , 13 ISSN: 2352-7714 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.onehlt.2021.100326
- Iflaifel, M. , Lim, R. ORCID: 0000-0003-1705-1480 , Crowley, C. , Greco, F. , Ryan, K. , Iedema, R. (2021) Modelling the use of variable rate intravenous insulin infusions in hospitals by comparing Work as Done with Work as Imagined. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy ISSN: 1934-8150 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2021.06.008
- Iflaifel, M. , Lim, R. ORCID: 0000-0003-1705-1480 , Crowley, C. , Ryan, K. , Greco, F. (2021) A detailed analysis of ‘Work As Imagined’ in the use of intravenous insulin infusions in a hospital: a hierarchical task analysis. BMJ Open , 11 (3). ISSN: 2044-6055 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2020-041848
- Lim, R. , Shalhoub, R. , Sridharan, B. (2021) The experiences of the community pharmacy team in supporting people with dementia and family carers with medication management during the COVID-19 pandemic. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy , 17 (1). pp. 1825-1831. ISSN: 1934-8150 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2020.10.005
- Kalantari, M. , Hollywood, A. , Lim, R. , Hashemi, M. (2020) Mapping the experiences of people with achalasia from initial symptoms to long-term management. Health Expectations ISSN: 1369-7625 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/hex.13160
- Chater, A. , Family, H. , Lim, R. , Courtenay, M. (2020) Influences on antibiotic prescribing by non-medical prescribers for respiratory tract infections: a systematic review using the Theoretical Domains Framework. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy , 75 (12). ISSN: 0305-7453 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkaa335
- Lim, R. , Courtenay, M. , Deslandes, R. , Ferriday, R. , Gillespie, D. , Hodson, K. , Reid, N. , Thomas, N. , Chater, A. (2020) Theory-based electronic learning intervention to support appropriate antibiotic prescribing by nurse and pharmacist independent prescribers: an acceptability and feasibility experimental study using mixed methods. BMJ Open , 10 (6). ISSN: 2044-6055 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2019-036181
- Iflaifel, M. , Lim, R. , Ryan, K. , Crowley, C. (2020) Resilient health care: a systematic review of conceptualisations, study methods and factors that develop resilience. BMC Health Services Research , 20 ISSN: 1472-6963 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12913-020-05208-3
- Walker, S. , Hignett, S. , Lim, R. , Parkhurst, C. , Samuel, F. (2020) Explaining drug-resistant infection in community pharmacies through effective information design. Design for Health , 4 (1). pp. 82-104. ISSN: 2473-5132 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/24735132.2020.1731201
- Courtenay, M. , Lim, R. , Deslandes, R. , Ferriday, R. , Gillespie, D. , Hodson, K. , Reid, N. , Thomas, N. , Chater, A. (2019) A theory-based electronic learning intervention to support appropriate antibiotic prescribing by nurses and pharmacists: intervention development and feasibility study protocol. BMJ Open , 9 ISSN: 2044-6055 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-028326
- Iflaifel, M. , Lim, R. , Ryan, K. , Crowley, C. , Iedema, R. (2019) Understanding safety differently: developing a model of resilience in the use of intravenous insulin infusions in hospital in-patients - a feasibility study protocol. BMJ Open , 9 (7). ISSN: 2044-6055 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2019-029997
- Courtenay, M. , Rowbotham, S. , Lim, R. , Peters, S. , Yates, K. , Chater, A. (2019) Examining influences on antibiotic prescribing by nurse and pharmacist prescribers: a qualitative study using the Theoretical Domains Framework and COM-B. BMJ Open , 9 (6). ISSN: 2044-6055 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2019-029177
- Anderson, J. , Ross, A. , Lim, R. , Kodate, N. , Thompson, K. , Jensen, H. , Cooney, K. (2019) Nursing teamwork in the care of older people: a mixed methods study. Applied Ergonomics , 80 pp. 119-129. ISSN: 0003-6870 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2019.05.012
- Courtenay, M. , Castro-Sanchez, E. , Fitzpatrick, M. , Gallagher, R. , Lim, R. , Morris, G. (2019) Tackling antimicrobial resistance 2019-2024 – the UK’s five-year national action plan. The Journal of Hospital Infection , 101 (4). pp. 426-427. ISSN: 0195-6701 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2019.02.019
- Walker, S. , Hignett, S. , Lim, R. , Parkhurst, C. , Samuel, F. , Mole, M. (2018) Design, architecture, pharmacy: making a difference to understanding anti-microbial resistance (AMR). (ISBN: 9781843874218)
- Lim, R. and Sharmeen, T. (2018) Medicines management issues in dementia and coping strategies used by people living with dementia and family carers: a systematic review. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry , 33 (12). pp. 1562-1581. ISSN: 0885-6230 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/gps.4985
- Courtenay, M. , Lim, R. , Castro-Sanchez, E. , Deslandes, R. , Hodson, K. , Morris, G. , Reeves, S. , Weiss, M. , Ashiru-Oredope, D. , Bain, H. , Black, A. , Bosanquet, J. , Cockburn, A. , Duggan, C. , Fitzpatrick, M. , Gallagher, R. , Grant, D. , McEwan, J. , Reid, N. , Sneddon, J. , Stewart, D. , Tonna, A. , White, P. (2018) Development of consensus based national antimicrobial stewardship competencies for UK undergraduate healthcare professional education. The Journal of Hospital Infection , 100 (3). pp. 245-256. ISSN: 0195-6701 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2018.06.022
- Courtenay, M. , Castro-Sanchez, E. , Deslandes, R. , Hodson, K. , Lim, R. , Morris, G. , Reeves, S. , Weiss, M. (2018) Defining antimicrobial stewardship competencies for undergraduate health professional education in the United Kingdom: a study protocol. Journal of Interprofessional Care , 32 (5). pp. 638-640. ISSN: 1469-9567 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13561820.2018.1463200
- Axon, D. , Lim, R. , Lewis, P. , Sandher, S. , Thondee, J. , Edwards, K. , Howard, R. (2018) Junior doctors’ communication with hospital pharmacists about prescribing: findings from a qualitative interview study. European Journal of Hospital Pharmacy , 25 pp. 257-261. ISSN: 2047-9956 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/ejhpharm-2017-001449
- Courtenay, M. , Gillespie, D. , Lim, R. (2017) Patterns of dispensed non-medical prescriber prescriptions for antibiotics in primary care across England: a retrospective analysis. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy , 72 (10). pp. 2915-2920. ISSN: 0305-7453 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkx230
- Courtenay, M. , Rowbotham, S. , Lim, R. , Deslandes, R. , Hodson, K. , MacLure, K. , Peters, S. , Stewart, D. (2017) Antibiotics for acute respiratory tract infections: a mixed methods study of patient experiences of non-medical prescriber management. BMJ Open , 7 (3). ISSN: 2044-6055 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013515
- Poonthananiwatkul, B. , Howard, R. , Williamson, E. , Lim, R. (2016) Why cancer patients choose in-patient complementary therapy in palliative care: a qualitative study at Arokhayasala Hospice in Thailand. European Journal of Integrative Medicine , 8 (3). pp. 260-265. ISSN: 1876-3820 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eujim.2016.02.002
- Lim, R. , Anderson, J. , Buckle, P. (2016) Work Domain Analysis for understanding medication safety in care homes in England: an exploratory study. Ergonomics , 59 (1). pp. 15-26. ISSN: 0014-0139 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00140139.2015.1057542
- Poonthananiwatkul, B. , Howard, R. , Williamson, E. , Lim, R. (2015) Cancer patients taking herbal medicines: a review of clinical purposes, associated factors, and perceptions of benefit or harm. Journal of Ethnopharmacology , 175 pp. 58-66. ISSN: 0378-8741 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2015.08.052
- Poonthananiwatkul, B. , Lim, R. , Howard, R. , Pibanpaknitee, P. , Williamson, E. (2015) Traditional medicine use by cancer patients in Thailand. Journal of Ethnopharmacology , 168 pp. 100-107. ISSN: 0378-8741 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2015.03.057
- Lim, R. , Courtenay, M. , Fleming, G. (2013) Roles of the non-medical prescribing leads within organisations across a Strategic Health Authority: perceived functions and factors supporting the role. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice , 21 (2). pp. 82-91. ISSN: 0961-7671 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-7174.2012.00224.x
- Barber, N. , Alldred, D. , Raynor, D. , Dickinson, R. , Garfield, S. , Jesson, B. , Lim, R. , Savage, I. , Standage, C. , Buckle, P. , Carpenter, J. , Franklin, B. , Woloshynowych, M. , Zermansky, A. (2009) Care homes’ use of medicines study: prevalence, causes and potential harm of medication errors in care homes for older people. Quality and Safety in Health Care , 18 (5). pp. 341-346. ISSN: 1475-3898 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2009.034231