Due to the current public health situation the Library is closed and the registration of new External borrowers has been suspended until further notice.
As a graduate of the University of Reading, if Reading is still your local University, you can join the Library as an External borrower at the discounted rate of £45 per year. Membership will confer borrowing rights only, it will not allow automatic access to e-resources.
If you have just successfully completed a course with the University, and will be beginning a new course at the start of the next Session, you can apply for membership over the summer for a reduced charge of £20.
Applying for borrowing rights
- Download the External borrowers application form (PDF).
Printed copies are also available from the Welcome Desk on the Ground Floor of the Library.
- Send the completed form to the Library User Services Team (see contact us for our postal address) or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If eligible, you will be invited to register and to pay the appropriate fee detailed above.
- Registration in person is only available at the Welcome Desk 09:00 - 17:00, Monday to Thursday or 10:00 - 17:00 on Fridays. If you cannot visit during these hours please contact the Library User Services Team (email: email@example.com or telephone: (0118) 378 8770) to make alternative arrangements.
See our Privacy notice (PDF) for information on what personal information we collect, hold and share in order to provide Library services to you and your rights in respect of the data we hold about you.
You will be given an External borrowers card which gives you access to the Library and enables you to borrow:
- five standard or term loan items
- these can be borrowed for up to three weeks unless recalled by another person
- you will be fined 80p per day for late returns
Using self-service features on the catalogue
When you register you will be given a PIN which you can use to access the self-service features on the catalogue system, such as renewing your loans, placing holds (on Standard loan items only), and viewing your account.
If you forget your PIN, just contact us for a reminder, but please be prepared to quote your Library card number.
For further information on access to the Library please contact us.