As a graduate of the University of Reading, if Reading is still your local University, you can join the Library as an External borrower at the discounted rate of £45 per year. Membership will confer borrowing rights only, it will not allow automatic access to e-resources.
If you have just successfully completed a course with the University, and will be beginning a new course at the start of the next Session, you can apply for membership over the summer for a reduced charge of £20.
Applying for borrowing rights
- Download the External borrowers application form (PDF).
Printed copies are also available from the Ground Floor Information Desk in the URS Building.
- Send the completed form to the Library User Services Team (see contact us for our postal address) or email it to email@example.com
- If eligible, you will be invited to register and to pay the appropriate fee detailed above.
- Registration in person is only available at the Ground Floor Information Desk in the URS Building from 09:00 - 17:00, Monday to Thursday or 10:00 - 17:00 on Fridays. If you cannot visit during these hours please contact the Library User Services Team (email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: (0118) 378 8770) to make alternative arrangements.
You will be given an External borrowers card which enables you to borrow:
- five standard or term loan items
- these can be borrowed for up to three weeks unless recalled by another person
- you will be fined 80p per day for late returns
Using self-service features on the catalogue
When you register you will be given a PIN which you can use to access the self-service features on the catalogue system, such as renewing your loans, placing holds (on Standard loan items only), and viewing your account.
If you forget your PIN, just contact us for a reminder, but please be prepared to quote your Library card number.
Restrictions on access during the University summer Examinations period
Please note that during the summer University Examinations period from the beginning of April until mid-June, you will need your External borrower card to access the Library and URS buildings after 17:00 on weekdays and throughout the weekends.
During the Library Refurbishment Project you can borrow and return books from the Library Building during Library Opening hours. Return items via the external book drop to the right of the Library entrance outside of these hours.
For further information on access to the Library please contact us.