Dr Sarah Cardey
- Director, Graduate Institute for International Development, Agriculture and Economics
- Programme Director for MSc Applied International Development
- Programme Director for MSc Communication for Development
- Teaching: Gender and Development, Communication for Innovation and Development, Principles of Communication Design for Development, Concepts and practices of communication
- Lead educator on Hungry Planet: People, food and agriculture Online Open Course (FutureLearn)
Areas of interest
Her primary research interests are in:
- Gender and development
- Development communication
- Farmer innovation
- Livelihoods and governance.
She is also interested in policy-practice linkages, research into practice, and multidisciplinary approaches to development challenges
Dr Cardey will consider PhD applications in the research areas:
- Gender and development
- Development communication, including communication and social change, innovation systems, gender and communication and critical health communication in development
- Extension systems and innovation systems in smallholder agriculture
- Rural livelihoods
Research centres and groups
- Walker Institute for Climate Systems Research
- Research Centre for the study of Developing Economies and Emerging Markets
- Global Development Research Division
She is currently involved in projects with colleagues in:
- The Sahel Region
These projects include looking at innovation systems in smallholder farming from a gendered perspective and monitoring and evaluation of participatory communication methodologies in development contexts. Past work includes experience in:
- South Africa
- The UK.
She works with both qualitative and quantitative methodologies and bring a gendered lens to the implementation, analysis and conduct of research.
BackgroundSarah is an interdisciplinary social scientist who specialises in gender and development, development communication and rural livelihoods.
Prior to joining Reading, she worked in development communication in the field.
In her role as GIIDAE director, she works on developing postgraduate teaching in the School. She works on international partnership building, student recruitment, alumni engagement, and outreach activities.
She is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, and has served as external examiner for programmes and PhD examinations across the UK and Europe.
Academic qualificationsPhD from the University of Reading
MSc from the University of Guelph
BA from Mount Allison University.
Professional bodies/affiliationsMember of the Global Research Initiative on Rural Communication, a consortium of academics from the University of Guelph, Wageningen University, University of Queensland, and the University of the Philippines Los Banos, in conjunction with the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations.
She has been invited to present at a range of global meetings and symposia about communication and development, including the World Congress on Communication for Development in 2007 and the Forum on Communication for Development & Community Media for Family Farming hosted by the FAO in 2014.
In 2011, she was the lead organizer of the symposium entitled "Food Security and Poverty Alleviation Under Changing Environmental Conditions" held in Khartoum, Sudan.
- Roberts, T. , Cardey, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-8504-8027 , den Brock, P. (2023) Developing a framework for using local knowledge systems to enhance capacity building in agricultural development. Advancements in Agricultural Development , 4 (2). pp. 1-19. ISSN: 2690-5078 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.37433/aad.v4i2.305
- Strong, R. , Sprayberry, S. , Dooley, K. , Ahn, J. , Richards, J. , Kinsella, J. , Lee, C. , Ray, N. , Cardey, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-8504-8027 , Benson, C. , Ettekal, A. (2023) Sustaining global food systems with youth digital livestock production curricula interventions and adoption to professionally develop agents of change. Sustainability , 15 (18). ISSN: 2071-1050 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su151813896
- Imburgia, L. , Osbahr, H. ORCID: 0000-0002-0130-2313 , Cardey, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-8504-8027 , Momsen, J. (2021) Irrigation in agriculture: a driver of social differentiation and an empowering livelihood option for rural women. wH2O: Journal of Gender and Water , 8 pp. 27-39. ISSN: 2167-2830
- Walker, G. ORCID: 0000-0002-2176-8604 , Osbahr, H. ORCID: 0000-0002-0130-2313 , Cardey, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-8504-8027 (2021) Thematic collages in participatory photography: a process for understanding the adoption of Zero Budget Natural Farming in India. International Journal of Qualitative Methods , 20 ISSN: 1609-4069 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1609406920980956
- Imburgia, L. , Osbahr, H. , Cardey, S. , Momsen, J. (2021) Inclusive participation, self-governance and sustainability: current challenges and opportunities for women in leadership of communal irrigation systems. Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space , 4 (3). pp. 886-914. ISSN: 2514-8486 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/2514848620934717
- Dowsing, M. and Cardey, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-8504-8027 (2020) Smallholder farmers’ perspectives on advisory extension services: a case study of the Gamo Communities of Southern Ethiopia. Social Sciences , 9 (9). ISSN: 2076-0760 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/socsci9090159
- Shibata, R. , Cardey, S. , Dorward, P. (2020) Gendered intra‐household decision‐making dynamics in agricultural innovation processes: assets, norms and bargaining power. Journal of International Development , 32 (7). pp. 1101-1125. ISSN: 1099-1328 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jid.3497
- Chimgonda-Nkhoma, J. , Garforth, C. , Cardey, S. , Aderinoye-Abdulwahab, S. , Fawole, O. (2019) Perception of concept and practice of social power in development interventions in Malawi. Journal of Agricultural Extension , 23 (3). pp. 147-155. ISSN: 1119-944X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4314/jae.v23i3.13
- Lamontagne-Godwin, J. , Dorward, P. , Aslam, N. , Cardey, S. (2019) Analysing support towards inclusive and integrated rural advisory systems. Social Sciences , 8 (10). ISSN: 2076-0760 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/socsci8100295
- Lamontagne-Godwin, J. , Dorward, P. , Ali, I. , Aslam, N. , Cardey, S. (2019) An approach to understand rural advisory services in a decentralised setting. Social Sciences , 8 (3). ISSN: 2076-0760 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/socsci8030103
- Lamontagne-Godwin, J. , Cardey, S. , Williams, F. , Dorward, P. , Aslam, N. , Almas, M. (2019) Identifying gender-responsive approaches in rural advisory services that contribute to the institutionalisation of gender in Pakistan. Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension , 25 (3). pp. 267-288. ISSN: 1750-8622 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1389224X.2019.1604392
- Sacchi, G. , Cei, L. , Stefani, G. , Lombardi, G. , Rocchi, B. , Belletti, G. , Padel, S. , Sellars, A. , Gagliardi, E. , Nocella, G. , Cardey, S. , Mikkola, M. , Ala-Karvia, U. , Macken-Walsh, À. , McIntyre, B. , Hyland, J. , Henchion, M. , Bocci, R. , Bussi, B. , De Santis, G. , Rodriguez y Hurtado, I. , de Kochko, P. , Riviere, P. , Carrascosa-García, M. , Martínez, I. , Pearce, B. , Pearce, B. , Lampkin, N. , Vindras, C. , Rey, F. , Chable, V. , Cormery, A. , Vasvar, G. (2018) A multi-actor literature review on alternative and sustainable food systems for the promotion of cereal biodiversity. Agriculture , 8 (11). ISSN: 2077-0472 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/agriculture8110173
- Lamontagne-Godwin, J. , Williams, F. , Aslam, N. , Cardey, S. , Dorward, P. , Almas, M. (2018) Gender differences in use and preferences of agricultural information sources in Pakistan. Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension , 24 (5). pp. 419-434. ISSN: 1750-8622 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1389224X.2018.1491870
- van de Fliert, E. , Cooper, T. , Sam, S. , Cardey, S. , Lie, R. , Witteveen, L. , Torres, C. , Tirol, S. , Dagli, W. , Hambly, H. , Perez, M. (2017) Inclusive rural communication services: building evidence, informing policy. Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations , Rome. pp 101. ISBN: 9789251095379
- Cardey, S. and Horsfield, G. (2013) Problematizing the construction of gender and sexuality in development communication: a queer theory analysis.
- Cardey, S. , Garforth, C. , Clarkson, G. , Dorward, P. (2013) Dynamics of farmer innovation and communication systems in agricultural growth in East Africa.
- Cardey, S. and Horsfield, G. (2013) Challenging assumptions of heterosexuality in development communication: queering development communication theory and practice.
- Cardey, S. and Garforth, C. (2013) Incorporating gender in innovation systems research in sub-Saharan Africa. Agriculture for Development , Spring pp. 18-20. ISSN: 1759-0604
- Cardey, S. , Garforth, C. , Govender, E. , Dyll-Myklebust, L. (2013) Entertainment education theory and practice in HIV/AIDS communication: a South Africa / United Kingdom comparison. Critical Arts , 27 (3). pp. 288-310. ISSN: 1992-6049 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02560046.2013.800665
- Chowa, C. , Garforth, C. , Cardey, S. (2013) Farmer experience of pluralistic agricultural extension, Malawi. Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension , 19 (2). pp. 147-166. ISSN: 1750-8622 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1389224X.2012.735620