Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are a form of government funded support. They are aimed at helping disabled people to study on an equal basis with other students. The support you are given is not based on income, but depends on your individual needs.You can apply for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) if you are studying:
- a full-time course that lasts at least one year (including distance-learning)
- a part-time course that lasts at least one year and doesn't take more than twice as long to complete as an equivalent full-time course (including a distance-learning course)
- you are ordinarily resident in the UK for at least three years before any period of study in higher education
- read the full UK Government information on eligibility
It may take a couple of months to process your claim, so we recommend applying for your DSA as soon as possible. If you are not eligible for DSA please contact the disability office to discuss your support needs.If you would like to find out more about the DSA process, see the resources we have put together below:
Funded supportIf you have issues with your funded support please click on the links below for more information:
Financial assistance with Halls costs
If a standard (wash basin) room in halls cannot meet your disability related needs, you may be eligible for financial assistance towards the additional costs of an adapted room or an en-suite room.
Halls Contribution Eligibility Criteria. Please note that this form cannot be used for students staying in private halls of residence or private accommodation.
You may be eligible for a halls contribution if you meet the three conditions below:
- You have evidence of a disability or long term medical condition
- Standard (wash basin) halls do not meet your disability needs or you are able to provide evidence that you would be placed at a substantial disadvantage in standard halls
- Your needs cannot be accommodated in other ways
See further information on how to apply for halls contribution, and how much you may be entitled to, complete the form.