Fairness in Recruitment
Financial Support for disabled employees
Deciding if you want to tell an employer about your disability
How to tell an employer about your physical or mental disability
Identifying disabled friendly employers
- Look for job adverts and application forms carrying the 'disability confident' symbol or 'positive about disability' symbol. These show that an employer has signed up to commitments on disability and long-term health conditions.
- Check the employers’ website for a policy statement on equal opportunities and profiles of employees with a disability, including staff networks.
- Members of the Business Disability Forum and supporters of the Mindful Employer ‘Charter for Employers who are Positive about Mental Health’ recognise the benefits of a diverse workforce. Both websites have a full list of supporting employers, including those from IT and telecoms, media, manufacturing, education, financial services and local government.
- Look out for employers with application forms that are available in alternative formats, and encourage applicants to say what adjustments can be made to help them during the recruitment process.
- Don't limit yourself to applying only to organisations that publicise their commitments to diversity. A lack of publicity doesn't mean they're not inclusive employers. Make your application based on the opportunities available and how those opportunities match your own skills and interests.