- Supplied antibodies and POMC peptides to various labs around the world.
- Purified snake venom proteins that are potential therapeutic targets.
- Various outreach activities for A-level students.
- School Director of Teaching and Learning
- Admissions tutor for BSc Biomedical Sciences
Areas of interest
- Role of POMC derived and tachykinins peptides in the regulation of adrenal, adipocyte and platelet function.
- Purification of peptide and protein hormones.
- Development and purification of antibodies.
- Part 1: Genes and Chromosomes, Pathology: Introduction to Human Disease
- Part 2: Immunology, Endocrinology, Recombinant DNA exercise
- Part 3: Selected topics in Endocrinology and Endocrine Disease, Mammalian Reproduction, Therapeutics 3
- Masters: MRes in Biomedical Research.
Research centres and groupsInternational Collaborators
- Dr. Hugh Bennett, Montreal, Canada.
- Dr Patrick McDonough, Vala Biosciences, San Diego, USA.
- Dr Peter King, William Harvey Research Institute, London
- Dr Dominic Cavlan, William Harvey Research Institute, London.
Bicknell AB (2002) Identification of a receptor for N-POMC peptides Endo Res 28 309-314.
Bicknell AB and Lowry PJ (2002) Adrenal growth is controlled by expression of specific proopiomelanocortin serine protease in the outer adrenal cortex. Endo Res 28 589-595.
Omer S, Lomthaisong K and Bicknell AB (2002) Identification of two alternate splice variants of a novel serine protease expressed in steroidogenic tissues Endo Res 28 339-348.
Neville SE, Baigent SM, Bicknell AB, Lowry PJ and Gladwell RT (2002) Hox gene expression in adult tissues with particular reference to the adrenal gland. Endo Res 28 669-673.
Bicknell AB (2002) Identification of the protease that cleaves pro-gamma-MSH: the dawning of a new era in adrenal physiology. J Endocrinology 172 405-410.
Bicknell AB, Lomthaisong K, Woods RJ, Hutchinson EG, Bennett HPJ, Gladwell RT, and Lowry PJ (2001) Characterization of a serine protease that cleaves pro-g-melanotropin at the adrenal to stimulate growth. Cell 105 903-912
Bicknell AB, Lomthaisong K, Gladwell RT, and Lowry PJ (2000) Agouti related protein expression in the adrenal cortex. implications for novel autocrine mechanisms modulating the actions of pro-opiomelanocortin peptides. J Neuroend 12 977-982.
Bicknell AB and Lowry PJ (2000) Pro-opiomelanocortin (POMC). In: Fink, G ed. Encyclopedia of Stress San Diego:Academic Press pp 257-265.
Bicknell AB, Savva D and Lowry PJ (1996) POMC and adrenal function. Endo Res 22 385-393.