Dr Rachael Neal
- School Director of Recruitment and Admissions
- Animal Sciences Teaching Forum Leader
- Supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Module convenor
Areas of interest
- Enthusiastic teacher with diverse experience across the animal sciences, covering livestock, companion animals and equine.
- Particular interest in helping undergraduate students enhance their employability and develop strong self-reflection and self-awareness regarding career progression and recruitment potential.
- Distance learning experience of students enrolled on our sustainable livestock modules.
- Teaching mentoring and teaching projects
- Leadership of Department of Animal Sciences teaching strategy through our regular ‘Teaching Forum’, including new programme development, embedding transferrable skills, authentic assessment, and implementing the Reading curriculum framework.
Primary PhD supervisor: Holly Vickery (UoR GTA studentship) – Goat kid behaviour and welfare in the weaning transition
Module convenor for:
- AP2A68 Mini Placement and Professional Development for Animal Scientists
- APMA114 Contemporary Issues in Animal Science
- APMA115 Sustainable Livestock Production Systems
- BSc, PhD (2009)
- PGCert Academic Practice (2014)
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2019)
- Vickery, H. ORCID: 0000-0001-7533-1136 , Meagher, R. , Stergiadis, S. ORCID: 0000-0002-7293-182X , Neal, R. (2023) A preliminary investigation of the feeding behaviour of dairy goat kids reared away from their dams on a computerised ad libitum milk feeding system. Applied Animal Behaviour Science , In press ISSN: 0168-1591
- Vickery, H. ORCID: 0000-0001-7533-1136 , Neal, R. , Meagher, R. (2022) Rearing goat kids away from their dams 2. Understanding farmers’ views on changing management practices. Animal , 16 (6). ISSN: 1751-7311 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.animal.2022.100548
- Vickery, H. ORCID: 0000-0001-7533-1136 , Neal, R. , Meagher, R. (2022) Rearing goat kids away from their dams 1. A survey to understand rearing methods. Animal , 16 (6). ISSN: 1751-7311 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.animal.2022.100547
- Gibbs, R. , Rymer, C. , Givens, I. (2013) Fatty acid composition of cooked chicken meat and chicken meat products as influenced by price range at retail . Food Chemistry , 138 (2-3). pp. 1749-1756. ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.11.002
- Gibbs, R. , Rymer, C. , Givens, I. (2011) Meat and other animal-derived foods as sources of omega-3 fatty acids. In: Wood, J. and Rowlings, C. , (eds.) Nutrition and Climate Change: Major Issues Confronting the Meat Industry. Nottingham University Press pp. 105-121. ISBN: 9781907284779
- Givens, D. , Gibbs, R. , Rymer, C. , Brown, R. (2011) Effect of intensive vs. free range production on the fat and fatty acid composition of whole birds and edible portions of retail chickens in the UK. Food Chemistry , 127 (4). pp. 1549-1554. ISSN: 0308-8146 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.02.016
- Gibbs, R. , Rymer, C. , Givens, D. (2010) Fat content and fatty acid composition of chicken meat portions and manufactured chicken products . British Poultry Abstracts , 6 (1). pp. 41-42. ISSN: 1746-6202 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17466202.2010.501142
- Givens, D. , Rymer, C. , Gibbs, R. (2010) Long-chain n-3 PUFA: intakes in the UK and the potential of a chicken meat prototype to increase them. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society , 69 (1). pp. 144-155. ISSN: 0029-6651 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0029665109991716
- Rymer, C. , Gibbs, R. , Givens, D. (2010) Comparison of algal and fish sources on the oxidative stability of poultry meat and its enrichment with omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Poultry Science , 89 (1). pp. 150-159. ISSN: 0032-5791 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3382/ps.2009-00232
- Minihane, . , Givens, . , Gibbs, . (2008) The health benefits of n-3 fatty acids and their concentrations in organic and conventional animal-derived foods. In: Givens, . , Baxter, . , Minihane, . , Shaw, . , (eds.) Organic food and health: Effects of the environment. CABI Publishing Ltd , Wallingford. pp. 19-49. ISBN: 9781845934590
- Givens, . and Gibbs, . (2008) Current intakes of EPA and DHA in European populations and the potential of animal-derived foods to increase them. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society , 67 (3). pp. 273-280. ISSN: 0029-6651 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/s0029665108007167
- Givens, D. , Kliem, K. , Gibbs, R. (2006) The role of meat as a source of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the human diet. Meat Science , 74 (1). pp. 209-218. ISSN: 0309-1740 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.008
- Givens, D. , Kliem, K. , Gibbs, R. (2006) The role of meat as a source of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the human diet. pp. 209-218. | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.008
- Givens, . and Gibbs, . (2006) Very long chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the food chain in the UK and the potential of animal-derived foods to increase intake. Nutrition Bulletin , 31 pp. 104-110. ISSN: 0141-9684 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-3010.2006.00554.x