Dr Marcello De Maria
- Postdoctoral researcher working on the UKRI GCRF Trade Hub project
- SAPD lead for the Open Research Champions Programme
- Teaching assistant
Areas of interest
My eclectic and multidisciplinary research sits at the interface between science, policy, and decision-making, looking at practical solutions to some of the major socio-economic and environmental challenges of our time. I am interested in:
- Natural resource and environmental economics
- Sustainable trade and trade policy
- Development and institutional economics
- Fair and sustainable land governance
- Sustainable commodity supply chains
- Information, digital solutions, and open research
I am happy to explore potential PhD visiting and supervisory opportunities. I am currently co-supervising two PhD students in our School:
- Jurgen, working on ‘The Drivers of International Trade of Palm Oil from Indonesia’
- Mila, working on ‘Deforestation, Health and Indigenous People’
TeachingTeaching Assistant for APME76/77 – Natural Resource and Environmental Economics.
- UKRI GCRF Trade, Development and The Environment Hub – Trade Hub (2019-2024);
- GIZ-funded research: ‘The Role of Open Data in Fighting Land Corruption’ (2020-2021)
I am a Postdoctoral Researcher based at the School of Agriculture, Policy, and Development – University of Reading. In 2019, I defended my PhD thesis titled ‘Essays on the Economics of Large-Scale Land Acquisitions’ and joined the UKRI GCRF Trade Hub Project. I worked for over a decade as a researcher, freelance data analyst and advisor for a variety of NGOs, research institutes, national and international organisations.
De Maria, M., Zanello, G., Nakagawa, L., Sigles Robert, J., Visentin, J., Pavani, B., Branco, P. D., Fendrich, A., Giaroli de Oliveira, A., Rocha Junior, A. B. and Lima Ranieri, S. B., (2022) Moving towards a sustainable soybean supply chain – a sustainable policy toolbox for Brazilian stakeholders and other global actors. Report. UKRI GCRF Trade, Development and the Environment Hub. DOI: https://doi.org/10.34892/ha52-ma53
De Maria, M., Zanello, G., West, C., Dreoni, I., Brooks, S., Antoni, E., Uehara, T., (2022) How do we link local and national level measures with international policy and private sector initiatives on sustainable trade for agricultural commodities? Trade and Nature Discussion Paper Series, No. 2. UKRI GCRF Trade, Development and the Environment Hud, Chatham House, and UNEP-WCMC.
De Maria, M., Robinson, E. J., Kangile, J., Kadigi, R., Dreoni, I., Couto, M., Howai, N. and Peci, J., (2020) Global soybean trade – The geopolitics of a bean. Report. UKRI GCRF Trade, Development and the Environment Hub. https://doi.org/10.34892/7yn1-k494.
De Maria, M. (2019) Understanding land in the context of large-scale land acquisitions: A brief history of land in economics. Land, 8 (1). https://doi.org/10.3390/land8010015
- De Maria, M. ORCID: 0000-0003-1969-0251 , Zanello, G. ORCID: 0000-0002-0477-1385 , Nakagawa, L. , Sigles Robert, J. , Visentin, J. , Pavani, B. , Branco, P. , Fendrich, A. , Giaroli de Oliveira Pereira Barretto, A. , Rocha Junior, A. , Lima Ranieri, S. (2022) Moving towards a sustainable soybean supply chain: a sustainable policy toolbox for Brazilian stakeholders and other global actors. UK Research and Innovation Global Challenges Research Fund (UKRI GCRF) Trade, Development and the Environment Hub pp 28. | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.34892/ha52-ma53
- Kadigi, R. , Robinson, E. , Szabo, S. , Kangile, J. , Mgeni, C. , De Maria, M. ORCID: 0000-0003-1969-0251 , Tsusaka, T. , Nhau, B. (2022) Revisiting the Solow-Swan model of income convergence in the context of coffee producing and re-exporting countries in the world. Sustainable Futures , 4 ISSN: 26661888 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sftr.2022.100082
- De Maria, M. ORCID: 0000-0003-1969-0251 and Howai, N. (2021) The role of open data in fighting land corruption: evidence, opportunities and challenges. Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH , Bonn and Eschborn,.
- De Maria, M. ORCID: 0000-0003-1969-0251 , Robinson, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-4950-0183 , Kangile, J. , Kadigi, R. , Dreoni, I. , Couto, M. , Howai, N. , Peci, J. (2020) Global soybean trade - the geopolitics of a bean. UK Research and Innovation Global Challenges Research Fund (UKRI GCRF) Trade, Development and the Environment Hub | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.34892/7yn1-k494
- De Maria, M. (2020) Essays on the economics of large-scale land acquisitions. | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.48683/1926.00093450
- De Maria, M. (2020) Increasing research impact and visibility from day one: the benefits of Open Research for PhD students. University of Reading | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.17864/1926.89464
- De Maria, M. (2019) Understanding land in the context of large-scale land acquisitions: A brief history of land in economics. Land , 8 (1). ISSN: 2073-445X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/land8010015
- Tagliarino, N. , Bununu, Y. , Micheal, M. , De Maria, M. , Olusanmi, A. (2018) Compensation for expropriated community farmland in Nigeria: An in-depth analysis of the laws and practices related to land expropriation for the lekki free trade zone in lagos. Land , 7 (1). ISSN: 2073-445X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/land7010023