Dr Elena Millan
Marketing Subject Area Leader
PhD Admissions Lead, Department of Agri-Food Economics and Marketing
Areas of interest
Elena conducts research on consumer behaviour and marketing, with three areas of particular focus: fashion and luxury brands, food consumption, and digital marketing.
Elena applies both quantitative and qualitative methods in her work, and her studies are often of mixed-method design. The results of her research have been published in academic journals of international standing. She is also reviewer for several academic journals in the field of marketing and consumer behaviour.
In her publications, she has explored issues such as status consumption, experiential shopping, cross-cultural variations in consumer behaviour, market segmentation, and consumer attitudes towards advertising. Within the food theme, she is interested in issues such as consumer food preferences and eating habits, consumer responses to food innovations, and the role of consumer co-creation in new food product development. Her interests in the digital marketing area include consumer adoption of IT innovations and online consumer behaviour.
Postgraduate supervisionElena welcomes PhD applications from strongly motivated candidates with research proposals on any contemporary issues in Consumer Behaviour (especially related to Fashion or Food), Digital Marketing, International Marketing, Advertising, and Retailing.
- Module convenor of Consumer Behaviour
- Module convenor of Qualitative Research Methods
- Module convenor of Consumer Research Group Project 1
- Module convenor of Consumer Research Group Project 2
- Module convenor of Consumer Behaviour and Food Marketing
Prior to joining the University of Reading as Lecturer in Consumer Research and Marketing, Elena has held academic posts as Lecturer in Marketing at the Universities of Essex and Surrey, and was Tutor and Research Officer at the University of Oxford, as well as Researcher at the College of Europe, Bruges, Belgium. She has also carried out consultancy work, and welcomes enquiries for potential consultancy projects, such as Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP).
Academic qualificationsElena obtained her DPhil in Management Studies (Marketing) from the Saïd Business School, University of Oxford. She is Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA). She is also common room member of Wolfson College, University of Oxford, and member of the Institute of Food, Nutrition and Health (IFNH), University of Reading.
- Association for Consumer Research
- European Marketing Academy
- European Association for Education and Research in Commercial Distribution
- Stone, H. , Fitzgibbon, L. ORCID: 0000-0002-8563-391X , Millan, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-2421-2855 , Murayama, K. (2023) Encouraging willingness to try insect foods with a utility-value intervention. Appetite , 190 ISSN: 1095-8304 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2023.107002
- Meral, H. and Millan, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-2421-2855 (2023) Factors influencing conventional hazelnut farmers to transition to organic production: the case of Türkiye. Erwerbs-Obstbau ISSN: 1439-0302 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10341-023-00922-8
- Lovegrove, J. ORCID: 0000-0001-7633-9455 , O'Sullivan, D. ORCID: 0000-0003-4889-056X , Tosi, P. , Millan, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-2421-2855 , Todman, L. , Bishop, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-2114-230X , Chatzifragkou, A. ORCID: 0000-0002-9255-7871 , Clegg, M. , Hammond, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-6241-3551 , Jackson, K. ORCID: 0000-0002-0070-3203 , Jones, P. ORCID: 0000-0003-3464-5424 , Lignou, S. ORCID: 0000-0001-6971-2258 , Macready, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-0368-9336 , McMeel, Y. , Parker, J. ORCID: 0000-0003-4121-5481 , Rodriguez-Garcia, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-4986-3144 , Sharp, P. , Shaw, L. , Smith, L. ORCID: 0000-0002-9898-9288 , Tebbit, M. (2023) 'Raising the pulse': the environmental, nutritional and health benefits of pulse-enhanced foods. Nutrition Bulletin , 48 (1). pp. 134-143. ISSN: 1471-9827 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nbu.12601
- Pieterse, E. , Millan, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-2421-2855 , Schonfeldt, H. (2023) Consumption of edible flowers in South Africa: nutritional benefits, stakeholders’ views, policy and practice implications. British Food Journal , 125 (6). pp. 2099-2122. ISSN: 0007-070X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/BFJ-10-2021-1091
- Stone, H. , Fitzgibbon, L. , Millan, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-2421-2855 , Murayama, K. (2022) Curious to eat insects? Curiosity as a key predictor of willingness to try novel food. Appetite , 168 ISSN: 0195-6663 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2021.105790
- Rondoni, A. , Millan, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-2421-2855 , Asioli, D. ORCID: 0000-0003-2274-8450 (2022) Plant-based eggs: views of industry practitioners and experts. Journal of International Food & Agribusiness Marketing , 34 (5). pp. 564-587. ISSN: 1528-6983 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08974438.2021.1915222
- Rondoni, A. , Grebitus, C. , Millan, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-2421-2855 , Asioli, D. ORCID: 0000-0003-2274-8450 (2021) Exploring consumers’ perceptions of plant-based eggs using concept mapping and semantic network analysis. Food Quality and Preference , 94 ISSN: 0950-3293 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2021.104327
- Rondoni, A. , Millan, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-2421-2855 , Asioli, D. ORCID: 0000-0003-2274-8450 (2021) Consumers’ preferences for intrinsic and extrinsic product attributes of plant-based eggs: an exploratory study in the United Kingdom and Italy. British Food Journal , 123 (11). pp. 3704-3725. ISSN: 0007-070X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/BFJ-11-2020-1054
- Mew, J. and Millan, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-2421-2855 (2021) Mobile wallets: key drivers and deterrents of consumers' intention to adopt. International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research , 31 (2). pp. 182-210. ISSN: 1466-4402 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09593969.2021.1879208
- Rondoni, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-1514-1247 , Asioli, D. ORCID: 0000-0003-2274-8450 , Millan, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-2421-2855 (2020) Consumer behaviour, perceptions, and preferences towards eggs: a review of the literature and discussion of industry implications. Trends in Food Science & Technology , 106 pp. 391-401. ISSN: 0924-2244 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2020.10.038
- Lombart, C. , Millan, E. ORCID: 0000-0002-2421-2855 , Normand, J. , Verhulst, A. , Labbe-Pinlon, B. , Moreau, G. (2020) Effects of physical, non-immersive virtual, and immersive virtual store environments on consumers’ perceptions and purchase behavior. Computers in Human Behavior , 110 ISSN: 0747-5632 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2020.106374
- Lombart, C. , Millan, E. , Normand, J. , Verhulst, A. , Labbé-Pinlon, B. , Moreau, G. (2019) Consumer perceptions and purchase behavior toward imperfect fruits and vegetables in an immersive virtual reality grocery store. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services , 48 pp. 28-40. ISSN: 0969-6989 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2019.01.010
- Millan, E. and Wright, L. (2018) Gender effects on consumers’ symbolic and hedonic preferences and actual clothing consumption in the Czech Republic. International Journal of Consumer Studies , 42 (5). pp. 478-488. ISSN: 1470-6423 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12447
- Millan, E. and Mittal, B. (2017) Consumer preference for status symbolism of clothing: the case of the Czech Republic. Psychology & Marketing , 34 (3). pp. 309-322. ISSN: 1520-6793 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mar.20990
- Millan, E. and Reynolds, J. (2014) Self-construals, Symbolic and Hedonic Preferences, and Actual Purchase Behavior. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services , 21 (4). pp. 550-560. ISSN: 0969-6989 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2014.03.012
- Trigwell, K. , Ashwin, P. , Millan, E. (2013) Evoked prior learning experience and approach to learning as predictors of academic achievement. British Journal of Educational Psychology , 83 (3). pp. 363-378. ISSN: 2044-8279 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8279.2012.02066.x
- Millan, E. , De Pelsmacker, P. , Wright, L. (2013) Clothing consumption in two recent EU Member States: a cross-cultural study . Journal of Business Research , 66 (8). pp. 975-982. ISSN: 0148-2963 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.12.020
- Millan, E. and Reynolds, J. (2011) Independent and interdependent self-views and their influence on clothing consumption. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management , 39 (3). pp. 162-182. ISSN: 0959-0552 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09590551111115015 (special issue 'Individualism in Retailing')
- Millan, E. and Howard, E. (2008) Retailing in Bulgaria: key developments and trends. Retail Digest , Winter 200 pp. 54-61. ISSN: 1352-9633
- Millan, E. and Howard, E. (2007) Shopping for pleasure? Shopping experiences of Hungarian consumers. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management , 35 (6). pp. 474-487. ISSN: 0959-0552 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09590550710750340
- Millan, E. and Elliott, R. (2004) Offensive advertising, public policy, and the law: the rulings on the Zagorka case. Journal of Consumer Policy , 27 (4). pp. 475-493. ISSN: 1573-0700 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10603-004-2719-0