"Outreach provides a sense of achievement in seeing people hear something for the first time or find they understand what they may have previously thought of as complex 'science stuff'."
"Students said they had felt 'inspired' and I know it will be a pivotal moment in the lives of many who attended."
The School Of Pharmacy consists of a diverse range of academic staff. These range from Practicing Pharmacists and Medicinal Chemists to Pharmacologists. They all contribute to the teaching of our Pharmacy students and are keen to share their expertise with bright young minds and the general public. Here are the range of activities that the School of Pharmacy undertake to inspire budding scientists. If you would like to know more, get in touch with us via email.
- Our academics in the School of Pharmacy offer a range of inspiring talks that can be delivered at secondary schools. We are happy to deliver to a wide range of year groups, but these titles are aimed at Years 10-12.
- Bright Sparks - Ever wondered about the right and left side of your brain? Neuroscientist Dr Dallas teamed up with a theatre company to produce an award winning production.
- Wonder where a career in Pharmacy could take you? Information about our Taster Days, for students who are interested in studying Pharmacy, will be posted here as details are confirmed.
If you're currently taking science-based A Levels and are interested in studying a science subject at university, our Alternatives to Medicine Day will help you explore various degree options. Further information will be posted here as details are confirmed.
- The University of Reading regularly hosts Public Lectures to which the School of Pharmacy have contributed.
- Reading Science Slam - Watch Reading School of Pharmacy researchers performing to a diverse, non-expert audience in an entertaining, engaging way.
- We helped to bring the internationally acclaimed Pint of Science Festival to Reading in May 2018.
We work with industry
The close link between the science underpinning pharmacy, the pharmacy profession, and the pharmaceutical industry are reflected in our many links with industry. In addition to traditional links with "big pharma" and multinational pharmacy chains, we have links with many other industrial partners such as biotechnology firms, technology SMEs and other high-tech groups.
We work with tech start ups
Innovation in healthcare, whether developing new drugs, novel formulations, or innovative technology, is often commercially driven by the formation of a new company. Reading School of Pharmacy has links with entrepreneurship experts at the Henley Business School to ensure these opportunities are spotted early, and to guarantee that some of our research can be translated into real patient benefit.
We work with patients and the public
Our research is often focussed directly at the interface between healthcare provider (e.g. the pharmacist) and the patient or public. This clinical practice research is highly collaborative and takes a wide range of forms, ranging from student research projects (e.g. audits in local hospitals) through to longer research projects sponsored by the NHS or industrial partners.