Accessibility navigation

HumSS Building to become Edith Morley Building in 2017

HumSS Building to become Edith Morley Building in 2017

The name serves as a fitting memorial to one of the University’s most influential academics.

The HumSS Building will be renamed the Edith Morley Building next year following a decision taken by the University Executive Board (UEB). 

The change honours Edith Morley, who was appointed Professor of English Language at Reading in 1908 and is believed to be the first woman awarded the title of professor in a British university. 

Professor Morley believed that women should have an equal place in academia and society, and was an inspiring and motivating force for the young people around her. The University holds a special lecture in her memory every year.

The HumSS Building is home to our Humanities and Social Sciences programmes and the Ure Museum of Greek Archaeology. UEB strongly felt that the change of name would serve as a fitting memorial to one of the University’s most influential academics.   

A renaming event will be arranged to coincide with the 2017 Edith Morley Lecture, which will take place in February. University signage and wayfinding will also be updated in due course, with exact timings to be confirmed at a later date. 

Page navigation

Search Form

Main navigation