FAQs for staff

The following questions relate to issued raised by staff on a regular basis. If you have a question that is not covered on here or on the FAQs for current students page please contact the Graduate School Office.

Does the Graduate School deliver training for staff?

Yes, the Graduate School collaborates with CSTD to deliver a number of sessions throughout the year that are pertinent to staff who are involved in doctoral supervision or providing other support to doctoral researchers (including those acting as internal examiners).

The courses for this academic year are listed on the Graduate School’s Staff Training page. These should be booked via Self Service.

The Graduate School has also produced several good practice guides for staff on specific topics.

Who do I need to speak to for advice on matters pertaining to the registration of research students (including suspensions, extensions and withdrawals)?

The Graduate School’s Doctoral Research Office can provide advice on the process that should be followed in relation to suspensions, extensions and withdrawals. They can be contacted via email(dro@reading.ac.uk) or by phone. You can also view the University’s Guidance on research students' suspensions and extensions.

What is Learning Needs Analysis (LNA) and what are the responsibilities of staff in relation to it?

Learning Needs Analysis (LNA) is a tool designed to help doctoral researchers reflect on the skills they will need to succeed with their PhD and ongoing career, the skills they already have, and the skills they lack or have but require further development.

All incoming doctoral researchers will be expected to carry out a Learning Needs Analysis at the start of their programme, which will help them to decide which training sessions in the Reading Researcher Development Programme (RRDP) they will need to take. The template is designed to be a ‘living document’ that can be updated as the needs develop throughout their programme.

Doctoral researchers will need to discuss and agree with their Supervisor/s what their learning needs are and they will need to identify relevant sessions within the RRDP to help them address these needs.

A copy of a student’s completed LNA will need to be signed off by the relevant School/Department Director of PGR Studies. At each stage within a student’s formal reviews of progress, both they and their Supervisor will be asked to comment in their (separate) written report on the extent to which the training undertaken has met the needs identified in the LNA.

View the Graduate School's page on the process of Learning Needs Analysis

Can I book Graduate School rooms (including those in Old Whiteknights House) for events?

Due to significant demand, the Graduate School’s common rooms (seminar rooms, meeting room) can be booked for events relating primarily to research students and organised by them.

Such requests should be emailed to the Graduate School Office (gradschool@reading.ac.uk) for consideration, giving details of the event and the primary audience. Guidance and a form for making booking requests will be provided.

What is the procedure for the allocation of desks in Old Whiteknights House?

Research students belonging to Schools/Departments eligible for desk space within Old Whiteknights House will be sent an email by the Graduate School in mid-October. This email will invite them to make a case if they wish to be allocated desk space.

Input on the case will then be sought from the applicant’s home School or Department (via the School Director of PGR Studies). Using this information, cases will then assessed, on the basis of need and student numbers, by the Graduate School.

Students who are not allocated a desk via this process are still eligible to book a desk - on a more short-term basis - in the Graduate School’s hot-desking facility.

What fee will a student be required to pay after they pass their Minimum Registration Period?

Information on fees for all continuing students (i.e. students who will have completed one year or more of study in the forthcoming academic year), including those who have passed their minimum registration period, can be accessed via our page Tuition fees for continuing postgraduate research students.

Things to do now

Contact us:

Page navigation


Search Form

A-Z lists