Information for PGCE primary interview candidates
PGCE Primary Interviews
We are pleased to be inviting you to interview for the Primary PGCE course at the University of Reading. We are looking forward to meeting you.
We want this to be a stress-free process to enable you to perform to your potential and hope, therefore, that the following information will be helpful to you.
Please read the information below carefully in order to prepare for your interview.
Prior to the interview
- Begin to become familiar with the Teachers' Standards
- Be aware of the current issues facing teaching, particularly in the area for which you have applied
- Please watch the films linked below.
Transforming Lives Film
Presentation by the Programme Director
KS1 Maths Lesson
- How does the teacher encourage good learning behaviour?
- What would the teacher have had to consider when planning this lesson?
- How does the teacher use voice and body language to support the learning?
- How does the teacher assess the understanding of the children?
Your notes should include:
During the interview you will be prompted to discuss your responses to these points and reflect on what you saw in the video. Please make notes and come to the interview with questions prepared.
Interviews will be conducted via Teams and you will receive an invitation to a Teams meeting in the week before your interview.
Your interview will take the following structure:
- A brief informal discussion focused on the Teachers TV video linked above.
- A more formal interview with questions that will enable you to demonstrate the following:
- Your motivations for beginning a career in primary teaching
- An understanding of safeguarding
- Your own values and ethics in regards to primary teaching
- The ability to reflect on and analyse your own experience in the context of your development as a trainee teacher
- Awareness of the Teachers' Standards and relevance to your own development
There will also be an opportunity for you to ask any questions you might have at the end of this interview.
The written task
Prior to your interview you will be sent a written task to complete. You will need to return this to your interviewer prior to your interview by replying to your Teams invite.
We look forward to meeting you at your remote interview and, if you have any further queries or if you require any specialist assistance in relation to your remote interview, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org