Staff Profile:Professor Suzanne Graham
- Professor Suzanne Graham
- Job Title:
- Professor of Language and Education
- Research Division Leader.
- Prosperity & Resilience Implementation Group.
- Subject Leader, Secondary Modern Foreign Languages Initial Teacher Education.
- Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Science Board for Research.
- Steering Committee, Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism.
- FAHSS Language Teaching Committee.
- Subject Leader, MFL ITE.
- PhD and MA dissertation supervision.
- Areas of Interest:
Areas of Expertise and Research Interest:
- Second language learner strategies and their relationship with proficiency and self-efficacy.
- Motivation for language learning, particularly at points of educational transition.
- Reading and listening comprehension in a second language.
- Teacher cognition.
- Second language vocabulary development.
Masters, PhD and EdD Level Supervision offered in these areas:
In the areas outlined above.
- Emre Debreli. The impact of teacher training programs on pre-service teachers' beliefs about teaching and learning English.
- Tom Parkinson. How does canon formation impact upon Popular Music pedagogy at undergraduate level?
- Radhika De Silva. Learner strategy instruction in writing (English for Specific Purposes).
- Suttawan Sriwantaneeyakul. Factors influencing Critical Reading development in university EFL students.
- Jinghui Wang. Learner autonomy and computer assisted language learning for Chinese learners of English.
- Shahla Yassaei. Teachers' reflective practice
- David Arnold. L2 listening in the EAP context.
- Heike Bruton. An investigation into the subject of German in UK schools.
- Fang-I Chu. English learning motivation in a Taiwanese university context: A study of its dynamic nature from socio-dynamic perspectives.
- Barbara King. CLIL and speaking outcomes in MFL lessons in the UK context.
- Ruth Koro. Rethinking the Foreign Language curriculum through content and language integrated practice.
- Elizabeth Leitch. Exploring the lived experiences of young players in a wheelchair basketball club.
- Nantikarn Simasangyaporn. An investigation of the nature of and relationship between self-efficacy and English as a foreign language listening skill in Thai university students.
- Pengchong Zhang. Language teaching strategies and lexical acquisition in high school English as a foreign language (EFL) context in China.
Current and Rrecent Research Projects:
- The Language Magician. Funded by the European Commission and in collaboration with a range of European Partners, this project will build on our Nuffield Primary Modern Languages project in creating an assessment tool for use in primary languages classrooms throughout Europe.
- Professional Development Consortium in MFL. Supported by the ESRC Follow-on Fund, this joint project between the universities of Reading and Oxford aimed to close the divide between what research indicates are the principles of effective language teaching and learning, and current practice within the MFL curriculum. For more details see the project blog, http://pdcinmfl.com/tag/pdc/
- Primary Modern Languages: the impact of teaching approaches on attainment and preparedness for secondary school language learning. This project has been funded by the Nuffield Foundation and is joint with colleagues from Applied Linguistics and Clinical Language Sciences. It is a 2-year project (2012-2014) investigating the teaching of French in primary schools and its impact on learners' grammatical knowledge and preparedness for secondary school MFL learning. See wwwpmlresearch.com and http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/primary-modern-languages-impact-teaching-approaches
- Second language listening comprehension in England: from current practice to improved pedagogy. Funded by the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, this project investigated teachers' beliefs about and understanding of the teaching of second language listening comprehension in its first phase. The second phase of the research has been to develop and evaluate materials to improve teachers' ability to teach listening as a skill. These have been rolled out in workshops for teachers and ITE tutors. See http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/events/detail/2013/Seminars/Disciplines_AH/GEN296_Reading
- Strategy training in Year 12 French. This Economic and Social Research Council funded project investigated the impact of a programme of strategy training on the listening and writing of Year 12 learners of French. See http://www.esrc.ac.uk/my-esrc/grants/RES-000-23-0324/read
- Research groups / Centres:
Language and Literacy in Education: Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism.
YNumber of items: 37.
- Graham, S., Courtney, L., Tonkyn, A. and Marinis, T. (2016) Motivational trajectories for early language learning across the primary-secondary school transition. British Educational Research Journal, 42 (4). pp. 682-702. ISSN 1469-3518 doi: 10.1002/berj.3230
- Graham, S. (2016) Teaching listening strategies. In: TESOL Encyclopedia of English Language Teaching. Wiley-Blackwell. (In Press)
- Courtney, L., Graham, S., Tonkyn, A. and Marinis, T. (2015) Individual differences in early language learning: a study of English learners of French. Applied Linguistics. ISSN 1477-450X doi: 10.1093/applin/amv071
- Macaro, E., Graham, S. and Woore, R. (2015) Improving foreign language teaching: towards a research-based curriculum and pedagogy. Routledge, Abingdon, pp216. ISBN 9781138779495
- Graham, S. and Santos, D. (2015) Strategies for second language listening: current scenarios and improved pedagogy. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, pp208. ISBN 9781137410511
- De Silva, R. and Graham, S. (2015) The effects of strategy instruction on writing strategy use for students of different proficiency levels. System, 53. pp. 47-59. ISSN 0346-251X doi: 10.1016/j.system.2015.06.009
- Graham, S. (2015) Listening strategies in an instructed classroom setting. Language Teaching. ISSN 1475-3049 (In Press)
- Graham, S. and Santos, D. (2015) Language learning in the public eye: an analysis of newspapers and official documents in England. Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching, 9 (1). pp. 72-85. ISSN 1750-1229 doi: 10.1080/17501229.2014.995766
- Graham, S., Courtney, L., Marinis, T. and Tonkyn, A., (2014) Primary Modern Languages: the impact of teaching approaches on attainment and preparedness for secondary school language learning. Project Report. University of Reading (Unpublished)
- Graham, S., Santos, D. and Francis-Brophy, E. (2014) Teacher beliefs about listening in a foreign language. Teaching and Teacher Education, 40. pp. 44-60. ISSN 0742-051X doi: 10.1016/j.tate.2014.01.007
- Graham, S. and Santos, D. (2013) Selective listening in L2 learners of French. Language Awareness, 22 (1). pp. 56-75. ISSN 1747-7565 doi: 10.1080/09658416.2011.652634
- Graham, S., MacFadyen, T. and Richards, B. (2012) Learners’ perceptions of being identified as very able: insights from Modern Foreign Languages and Physical Education. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 44 (3). pp. 323-348. ISSN 1366-5839 doi: 10.1080/00220272.2012.662525
- Graham, S. (2011) Self-efficacy and academic listening. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 10 (2). pp. 113-117. ISSN 1475-1585 doi: 10.1016/j.jeap.2011.04.001
- Graham, S., Santos, D. and Vanderplank, R. (2011) Exploring the relationship between listening development and strategy use. Language Teaching Research, 15 (4). pp. 435-456. ISSN 1477-0954 doi: 10.1177/1362168811412026
- Burrell, D., Graham, S., Medley, D., Richards, B. and Roberts, J. (2011) The development and application of a diagnostic test for trainee foreign language teachers. In: O'Sullivan, B. (ed.) Language testing: theory and practice. Palgrave, Oxford, pp. 208-227. ISBN 9780230230620
- Graham, S. J., Santos, D. and Vanderplank, R. (2010) Strategy clusters and sources of knowledge in French L2 listening comprehension. Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching, 4 (1). pp. 1-20. ISSN 1750-1229 doi: 10.1080/17501220802385866
- Graham, S. (2009) French applied linguistics. Journal of French Language Studies, 19 (3). pp. 409-410. ISSN 0959-2695 doi: 10.1017/s0959269509990263
- Marsden, E. and Graham, S. J. (2009) Review of doctoral research in second-language teaching and learning in England (2006). Language Teaching, 42 (3). pp. 369-396. ISSN 0261-4448 doi: 10.1017/s0261444809005783
- Graham, S., Santos, D. and Vanderplank, R. (2008) Listening comprehension and strategy use: a longitudinal exploration. System, 36 (1). pp. 52-68. ISSN 0346-251X doi: 10.1016/j.system.2007.11.001
- Roberts, J. and Graham, S. (2008) Agency and conformity in school-based teacher training. Teaching and Teacher Education, 24 (6). pp. 1401-1412. ISSN 0742-051X doi: 10.1016/j.tate.2008.01.003
- Graham, S. J., Richards, B. J. and Malvern, D. D. (2008) Progress in learning French vocabulary in a one-year advanced course at school. Journal of French Language Studies, 18 (3). pp. 349-364. ISSN 0959-2695 doi: 10.1017/S0959269508003499
- Santos, D., Graham, S. and Vanderplank, R. (2008) Second language listening strategy research: methodological challenges and perspectives. Evaluation and Research in Education, 21 (2). pp. 111-133. ISSN 1747-7514 doi: 10.1080/09500790802152183
- Graham, S. J. and Macaro, E. (2008) Strategy instruction in listening for lower-intermediate learners of French. Language Learning, 58 (4). 747-783 . ISSN 0023-8333 doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9922.2008.00478.x
- Richards, B. J., Malvern, D. D. and Graham, S. J. (2008) Word frequency and trends in the development of French vocabulary in lower intermediate students during Year 12 in English schools. Language Learning Journal, 36 (2). pp. 199-213. ISSN 0957-1736 doi: 10.1080/09571730802390098
- Macaro, E. and Graham, S. J. (2008) The development of the passé composé in lower-intermediate learners of French as a second language. Language Learning Journal, 36 (1). pp. 5-19. ISSN 1753-2167 doi: 10.1080/09571730801988454
- Graham, S. and Macaro, E. (2007) Designing Year 12 strategy training in listening and writing: from theory to practice. Language Learning Journal, 35 (2). pp. 153-173. ISSN 1753-2167 doi: 10.1080/09571730701599203
- Graham, S. (2007) Learner strategies and self-efficacy: making the connection. Language Learning Journal, 35 (1). pp. 81-93. ISSN 1753-2167 doi: 10.1080/09571730701315832
- Graham, S. and Roberts, J. (2007) Student-teachers' perspectives on positive and negative social processes in schools. Teachers and Teaching: theory and practice, 13 (4). pp. 399-410. ISSN 1354-0602 doi: 10.1080/13540600701391952
- Graham, S., Macaro, E. and Vanderplank, R. (2007) A review of listening strategies: focus on sources of knowledge and on success. In: Cohen, A.D. and Macaro, E. (eds.) Language Learner Strategies: 30 Years of Research and Practice. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 165-185. ISBN 9780194422543
- Graham, S. (2006) Developing Speaking Skills in the Modern Foreign Language. In: Pachler, N. and Redondo, A. (eds.) A practical guide to teaching modern foreign languages in the secondary school. Routledge, London, pp. 58-66. ISBN 978-0415393287
- Graham, S. (2006) Listening comprehension: the learners' perspective. System, 34 (2). pp. 165-182. ISSN 0346-251X doi: 10.1016/j.system.2005.11.001
- Graham, S. (2006) A study of students' metacognitive beliefs about foreign language study and their impact on learning. Foreign Language Annals, 39 (2). pp. 296-309. ISSN 0015-718X doi: 10.1111/j.1944-9720.2006.tb02267.x
- Macaro, E. , Vanderplank, R. and Graham, S. (2005) A systematic review of the role of prior knowledge in unidirectional listening comprehension. In: Research Evidence in Education Library. EPPI-Centre, Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London, London.
- Graham, S. J. (2004) Giving up on modern foreign languages? Students' perceptions of learning French. Modern Language Journal, 88 (2). pp. 171-191. ISSN 0026-7902
- Graham, S. (2003) Learner strategies and advanced level listening comprehension. Language Learning Journal, 28 (1). pp. 64-69. ISSN 0957-1736 doi: 10.1080/09571730385200221
- Graham, S. (2003) Learners' metacognitive beliefs: a Modern Foreign Languages case study. Research in Education, 70 (2). pp. 11-29. ISSN 0034 5237
- Graham, S. (2002) Experiences of learning French: a snapshot at Years 11, 12 and 13. Language Learning Journal, 25 (1). pp. 15-20. ISSN 1753-2167 doi: 10.1080/09571730285200051
Recent Conference Presentations:
- 2015, July (with L Courtney). Primary Modern Languages: The impact of teaching approaches on attainment and preparedness for secondary school language learning. National Association of Language Advisors Annual Conference, Stratford upon Avon.
- 2015, July. Motivational trajectories for early language learning across the primary-secondary school transition. Paper presented at the BAAL Language Learning and Teaching SIG Conference, University of Edinburgh.
- 2014, August (with D Santos). Listening in MFL textbooks: An exploration of textual content, teachers' beliefs and classroom practice. Paper presented at the 17thWorld Congress, International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA), Brisbane, Australia.
- 2014, June. Primary Modern Languages: the impact of teaching approaches on attainment and preparedness for secondary school language learning. Paper presented at the Early language learning: Theory and practice in 2013 conference, Umeǻ University, Sweden.
- 2014, June. Progress and preparedness in primary language learning: Research insights for classroom practice. Paper presented at the dissemination conference for the Nuffield Primary Project, University of Reading.
- 2013, July (with E.Macaro). The consortium model as an instrument for Language Teacher Development: Condensing research evidence into shared principles. Invited paper presentation, University of York 50th Anniversary conference: Relations between Research and Practice.
- 2013, March (with D. Santos). Rethinking the teaching of listening: from a focus on product to a focus on processes. Language World, Nottingham Trent University.
- 2013, January. Secondary students' beliefs and motivations: implications for teacher development. Invited paper presentation, the Open University.
- 2012, NovemberSecond language listening comprehension in England: strategy instruction and teacher understanding. Invited paper presentation, University of Southampton.
- 2012, September (with D. Santos and E. Francis-Brophy). Understanding teachers' beliefs with a view to improving classroom practice: methodological perspectives for second language listening. Paper presented at the BAAL Annual Conference, University of Southampton.
- 2011, November. Second language listening comprehension in England: strategy instruction and teacher understanding. Invited paper presentation at the Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge.
- 2011, August (with D. Santos). Foreign language listening comprehension in England: from current practice to improved pedagogy. Paper presented at the16thWorld Congress, International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA), Beijing.
Any Further Information:
- Department for Education: Funding to provide CPD to introduce the new National Curriculum for MFL (primary and secondary schools).
External Roles and Consultancy:
- Member of the Expert Subject Advisory Group for MFL.
- Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Language Learning Journal and System.
- Reviewer for Applied Linguistics, Language Awareness, The Modern Language Journal, System and The Journal of French Language Studies.
- External Examiner, MA ELT, MA Applied Linguistics, MA Applied Linguistics (Research Methods) and the integrated PhD Applied Linguistics/ELT, University of Southampton.
- Member of the ESRC Peer Review College.