What opportunities are there?
There are opportunities for everyone and you should be able to find something to match your interests, for example; sport, art, finance, mental health, research, teaching, campaigning or legal aid and justice, to name but a few. Some agencies have opportunities in a variety of sectors whereas others are more specific. In either case volunteers can be accommodated and you need to choose which project will allow you to make a difference.
The voluntary field is also known as the third sector and working for a not for profit organisation can be a very rewarding career choice. Charity work offers a chance to be employed in a vibrant, growing sector with a steady increase of jobs available each year. When looking for opportunities you could investigate locally, nationally or look further and consider volunteering abroad. When considering the long term there are graduate positions available and paid roles as charities are keen to recruit strong, passionate candidates.
Volunteering opportunities advertised to The Careers Centre in the last two weeks
The listings below show the latest (maximum) 50 jobs placed with The Careers Centre. Click on a job title link to go to the full listing in My Jobs Online where you can view further details and apply for the job. Once you've logged in to My Jobs Online, you'll also be able to view all vacancies (i.e. not just the most recently placed ones).
- Volunteer Counsellor - Trust House Reading
- Details: Volunteer counsellors will provide therapeutic counselling to 2-3 clients per week and complete paperwork such as contracting, counselling notes and monitoring forms. Volunteers will also participate in clinical supervision, reviews with the Clinical Lead, induction courses and on-going [...] View full details »
- Helpline Volunteer - Trust House Reading
- Details: We urgently need volunteers for our helpline. Volunteers will provide emotional support for survivors of rape or sexual abuse, take referrals for our counselling service and provide information about the centre and its range of services. You will be provided with on-going, specialist [...] View full details »
- CARA Student Ambassador - CARA (Council for Assisting Refugee Academics)
- Details: CARA (the Council for Assisting Refugee Academics) is offering an exciting new opportunity for students to become a Student Ambassador for our charity. This opportunity would be perfect for a student with an interest in human rights, academic freedom and refugees. It will give students a [...] View full details »
- Voluntary IT Officer - Lifetime Learning
- Details: We currently need to fill IT Officer position in our office in Canary Wharf. Part time or Full time Job specs: • Google research • Website update (it’s very easy to update our website. We use WordPress, Joomla etc Content Management Systems similar editing facilities as Microsoft [...] View full details »
- Voluntary Graphic Designer / Internship - Lifetime Learning
- Details: We are currently seeking a graphic design intern to service our growing client base in our London office. This role is available part time or full time on a voluntary basis. Job spec: Producing business cards, brochure and other artworkPreparing training materials (activity booklets, [...] View full details »
- Voluntary Admin Officer - Lifetime Learning
- Details: We currently need to fill Admin Officer positions in our office in Canary Wharf - these are available part-time or full-time on a voluntray basis. Job spec: Dealing with enquiries and bookingsPreparing training materials (activity booklets, presentations)Travel arrangements for our [...] View full details »
- Team Leader - Street Child
- Details: Have you got an entrepreneurial ambition or are an aspiring philanthropist? We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual who can act as a team leader on the 50 Quid Challenge. We need someone to create and organise a team to compete in the challenge and hopefully make a huge [...] View full details »
- Events Co-Ordinator - Graft Thames Valley Limited
- Details: Graft Thames Valley is a small and dynamic charity that supports disadvantaged job seekers to improve their employment prospects. Our clients may have physical, mental or learning disability, or may have some other disadvantage such as being homeless or being an ex-offender. A large [...] View full details »
- Gap Year Social Care Volunteer - CSV
- Details: CSV (Community Service Volunteers) is a national voluntary charity providing volunteering placements for people wishing to gain skills and experience in social or health care fields, education and youth justice or for people looking for a challenging year out after university in the [...] View full details »
- Circle Member/Mentor - Circles South East
- Details: A sex offender moves into your community. What do you do? Research shows us that our approach is hugely effective in reducing the likelihood of a person re offending. Our goal is 'No More Victims'. Our project has been running for 11 years and evaluation surveys have shown significant [...] View full details »
- Me2 Volunteer - Me2 Club
- Details: Me2 volunteers are matched with a child with additional needs. They work 1:1 with that child each week at a mainstream activity, supporting them to join in and fully enjoy the group. This support could be anything from helping them communicate, building confidence or supporting them with [...] View full details »
Older vacancies and full event details can be found at https://reading.targetconnect.net
Places to look for national voluntary work
- www.csv.org.uk is one of the largest volunteering providers, whose vision is to enrich lives and tackle real need. They place over 150 000 volunteers each year in top quality community projects
- www.volunteering.org.uk a network of organisations across England
- http://jobs.thirdsector.co.uk/ charity jobs across England, including paid and graduate work
- http://vinspired.com/ connects 16 â€“ 25 year olds with volunteering opportunities across England
- www.do-it.org.uk/ a search engine of roles covering voluntary sectors
Local volunteering work around Reading
- www.reading.ac.uk/redaward The Reading Experience and Development (RED) Award is a new university scheme that rewards students for undertaking extra-curricular activities as well as helping students get the most out of their experiences in terms of their professional and personal development.
- www.volunteercentrereading.org The Volunteer Centre Reading
- www.sportreading.co.uk has information about working with sports groups in Reading.
- www.rvadirectory.org.uk Reading Voluntary Action is a directory of charity work available in Reading.
- www.reading.ac.uk/studentrecruitment/StudentTutoring/sr-studenttutoringinschools.aspx This is the Universityâ€™s Community Service Volunteers "Learning Together" programme for tutoring in local schools.
- www.connectreading.co.uk is a link between businesses, voluntary organisations and charities who work towards addressing areas of need in Reading.
International volunteer programmes
You could volunteer abroad or combine it with travelling, the possibilities are endless once you research the roles out there. There are opportunities to teach, undertake conservation work, construction, cultural exchanges or work with animals. Sometimes organisations tailor their voluntary work to people taking a year out whilst others offer involvement for people who do not have that amount of time or who just want to work for a season. Terms and conditions vary as some organisations will charge including travel expenses and others will ask for a joining fee. Be thorough when exploring the possibilities.
- www.travellersworldwide.com offer voluntary placements in less advantaged countries
- www.ecoteer.com an agency for volunteering abroad opportunities
- www.vso.org.uk an independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries
- www.originalvolunteers.co.uk offer volunteering holidays and experiences abroad
You could also visit the The Careers Centre resource area or speak to your Placement and Development Officer to find out more.