What opportunities are there?
There are opportunities for everyone and you should be able to find something to match your interests, for example; sport, art, finance, mental health, research, teaching, campaigning or legal aid and justice, to name but a few. Some agencies have opportunities in a variety of sectors whereas others are more specific. In either case volunteers can be accommodated and you need to choose which project will allow you to make a difference.
The voluntary field is also known as the third sector and working for a not for profit organisation can be a very rewarding career choice. Charity work offers a chance to be employed in a vibrant, growing sector with a steady increase of jobs available each year. When looking for opportunities you could investigate locally, nationally or look further and consider volunteering abroad. When considering the long term there are graduate positions available and paid roles as charities are keen to recruit strong, passionate candidates.
Volunteering opportunities advertised to The Careers Centre in the last two weeks
The listings below show the latest (maximum) 50 jobs placed with The Careers Centre. Click on a job title link to go to the full listing in My Jobs Online where you can view further details and apply for the job. Once you've logged in to My Jobs Online, you'll also be able to view all vacancies (i.e. not just the most recently placed ones).
- Helpline Volunteer - Berkshire Carers Service
- Details: We are seeking Volunteers to assist with taking helpline calls, offering Carers and Professionals support with general queries, signposting Carers to organisations that may be able to offer them more specialist support if needed and offering Carers emotional support. As a Helpline [...] View full details »
- Agriculture & Forestry volunteer placements - Castle Ward - National Trust
- Details: What is a placement Volunteer A placement volunteer is a person who would like to work as part of a team on a full-time basis. What is a volunteer ranger? A Volunteer Ranger helps to deliver a variety of practical conservation duties. You will enable a broad range of visitors to have [...] View full details »
- Helpline Volunteer - Trust House Reading
- Details: Trust House Reading provides a confidential helpline service to victims/survivors of rape and sexual abuse aged 18 or above. Helpline volunteers are a key part of this service, and we value their contribution. Helpline volunteers aim to support victims/survivors of rape and sexual abuse by [...] View full details »
- Student Ambassador - TEACH - Time to Empower Africa's Children
- Details: TEACH Student Ambassadors are our eyes, ears and voices within universities. Your role is threefold. You will be responsible for maximising awareness of TEACH within your university, responsible for organising one international ‘Charity Challenge’ event, and ensuring TEACH have a continued [...] View full details »
- Volunteer Researcher - SEAP (Support Empower Advocate Promote)
- Details: Voluntary opportunity to research whether those from certain minority ethnic groups and specific age groups are making complaints about NHS services and accessing the support of advocacy services in similar numbers to the general population. The research would involve both a review of [...] View full details »
- Team Member or Team leader - Lattitude Global Volunteering
- Details: Lattitude Global Volunteering Lattitude Global Volunteering is a youth development charity that specialises in overseas volunteering placements. Since 1972, Lattitude Global Volunteering has sent over 40,000 young people to volunteer in over 17 countries around the world, where they’ve had [...] View full details »
- Operation Wallacea Publicity Agent (Postgraduate position) - Operation Wallacea
- Details: Duties: To put up posters advertising the Operation Wallacea presentation around all relevant departments in the University approximately 2 weeks in advance of the presentation. Operation Wallacea will provide the posters.To check weekly before the presentation that posters are still [...] View full details »
- Circle Member/Mentor - Circles South East
- Details: A sex offender moves into your community. What do you do? Research shows us that our approach is hugely effective in reducing the likelihood of a person re offending. Our goal is 'No More Victims'. Our project has been running for 11 years and evaluation surveys have shown significant [...] View full details »
- Volunteer Youth Worker - Adviza
- Details: Job Purpose To support the youth work team in the running of activities in open access youth centres. Main duties and responsibilities To assist in the running of the youth clubs.To communicate with the Club Leader and Youth Worker about the activities in the youth club.To supervise [...] View full details »
Older vacancies and full event details can be found at https://reading.targetconnect.net
Places to look for national voluntary work
- www.csv.org.uk is one of the largest volunteering providers, whose vision is to enrich lives and tackle real need. They place over 150 000 volunteers each year in top quality community projects
- www.volunteering.org.uk a network of organisations across England
- http://jobs.thirdsector.co.uk/ charity jobs across England, including paid and graduate work
- http://vinspired.com/ connects 16 â€“ 25 year olds with volunteering opportunities across England
- www.do-it.org.uk/ a search engine of roles covering voluntary sectors
Local volunteering work around Reading
- www.reading.ac.uk/redaward The Reading Experience and Development (RED) Award is a new university scheme that rewards students for undertaking extra-curricular activities as well as helping students get the most out of their experiences in terms of their professional and personal development.
- www.volunteercentrereading.org The Volunteer Centre Reading
- www.sportreading.co.uk has information about working with sports groups in Reading.
- www.rvadirectory.org.uk Reading Voluntary Action is a directory of charity work available in Reading.
- www.reading.ac.uk/studentrecruitment/StudentTutoring/sr-studenttutoringinschools.aspx This is the Universityâ€™s Community Service Volunteers "Learning Together" programme for tutoring in local schools.
- www.connectreading.co.uk is a link between businesses, voluntary organisations and charities who work towards addressing areas of need in Reading.
International volunteer programmes
You could volunteer abroad or combine it with travelling, the possibilities are endless once you research the roles out there. There are opportunities to teach, undertake conservation work, construction, cultural exchanges or work with animals. Sometimes organisations tailor their voluntary work to people taking a year out whilst others offer involvement for people who do not have that amount of time or who just want to work for a season. Terms and conditions vary as some organisations will charge including travel expenses and others will ask for a joining fee. Be thorough when exploring the possibilities.
- www.travellersworldwide.com offer voluntary placements in less advantaged countries
- www.ecoteer.com an agency for volunteering abroad opportunities
- www.vso.org.uk an independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries
- www.originalvolunteers.co.uk offer volunteering holidays and experiences abroad
You could also visit the The Careers Centre resource area or speak to your Placement and Development Officer to find out more.