Terms and conditions for advertising vacancies with the Careers Centre
The Careers Centre (The Careers Centre) asserts full editorial control over the vacancies submitted to its website and reserves the right to refuse to advertise a vacancy without giving a specific reason (a list of some common reasons for rejection is provided below).
The Careers Centre will try to establish that organisations registering with us are legitimate organisations offering genuine work opportunities for our students and graduates; if we are unable to gather sufficient evidence for this purpose the organisation and its vacancies will not be processed.
- Full Ts & Cs
- Guidelines for submitting vacancies
- Note to recruitment agencies
- Common grounds for rejecting an organisation
- Adherence to current legislation - it is the responsibility of the organisation submitting the vacancy to ensure that each advertisement placed is fully compliant with current employment legislation.
- Key restrictions - The Careers Centre will not advertise the following:
- vacancies that pay below the adult minimum wage
- vacancies that pay commission only
- vacancies that require an individual to be self-employed
- vacancies where students are employed by a private individual or household (with the exception of opportunities under point 6, below)
- vacancies that require students to make any form of payment
- unpaid vacancies where there is no genuine exemption from paying the national minimum wage (* - see 4 below)
- You must comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and only process personal data in accordance with the eight Data Protection Principles.
- You must not pass students' details to third parties unless you have explicitly stated in your vacancy advertisement that you are planning to do so. To pass on a student's personal data without their consent will most likely breach Principle 1 of the Data Protection Act 1998.
- You must not use students' details for any purpose other than recruitment, as to do so will breach Principles 1, 2 and 3 of the Data Protection Act 1998.
- The Careers Centre will respond to any reports that the privacy rights of users have been infringed and will remove access to the system if necessary.
- promoted by anyone other than registered charities or voluntary groups
- actual job vacancies which would normally be filled by a permanent or temporary member of staff (e.g. data input, telesales, administrative work, filing, market research)
- ongoing (e.g. 20 hours a week for 3 months or longer term)
- require students to make any form of payment
* We understand that specific sectors traditionally offer unpaid experience in order for students to gain a foothold in the industry, e.g. media and arts, however, we review each unpaid opportunity on a case by case basis.
The roles advertised by Direct Payment holders may include personal assistants, carers, tutors, cleaners and gardeners, for example.
If you cannot provide evidence, unfortunately we will not be able to advertise your position. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text limit - My Jobs Online limits the text for opportunity descriptions to 1000 words; the system will generate an error message if you exceed this word count. If you have further documents and text, please consider hosting these on your organisation's website and linking back to it.
- Closing dates - Please provide a closing date for your vacancy. If there is no closing date, we will advertise the vacancy on the website for 12 weeks. This can be extended if required via the My Jobs Online login. Please note that we operate a minimum advertising period of nine working days from the date the vacancy is submitted to us - to provide you with the best prospect of attracting interest in your opportunity and to allow applicants appropriate time to view it and prepare a proper application.
- Contact details - Please provide full contact details including postal address, email address and phone number. You can specify admin only contact details and student application details with your My Jobs Online profile.
- Editing your opportunities - Vacancies are listed on a closed access website - ie are accessible only by University of Reading students and recent graduates. You are able to update your vacancy listings via the My Jobs Online login. Please ensure that you provide contact details or a link to your website for full job descriptions, person specifications and application forms.
Please do not submit vacancies in capital letters.
The Careers Centre will only post adverts for specific vacancies. We do not run generic adverts for recruitment agencies. If you wish to advertise a vacancy but do not want to publicise the name of your client, we are happy to run adverts without this information. However, you must divulge the name of your client to the Careers Centre when you submit a vacancy.
Common grounds for rejecting an organisation
- no business email address is provided (e.g. gmail or Windows Live address is given)
- no website address is provided (this makes it difficult for the University and its students to research and verify the organisation)
- the closing date supplied (ie the minimum advertising period) is less than nine working days from the date of the vacancy submission
Continue to our vacancy submission page.