Prospects Planner is an online job matching tool which asks you questions to find out your abilities, interests and motivations.
Developed by Graduate Prospects, Prospects Planner includes the AGCAS (Association of Graduate Careers, Placement and Experience Centres) database of profiles covering a wide range of graduate occupations. Profiles include brief information about, work activities, entry requirements, the availability of jobs, any age barriers, the sex balance, lifestyle implications/salaries and possible career development.
What it can do
- Identify what you want out of a job
- Generate and evaluate job ideas
- Identify what you can offer to the job/employer
- Compare options and identify the right types of jobs to apply for
- Provide useful and relevant information sources
What it can't do
- Tell you what you should do - choosing a job or career is a complex and personal process.
- Make sense out of nonsense - you need to clarify your thinking about what you want. This may take time and effort but Prospects Planner can help you get there.
- Come up with a list of "the Top 10 best graduate jobs" - your list will be a personal one. Your preferred job may not be a widely popular choice but it is the right one for you.
- Get you a job - finding vacancies and marketing yourself effectively is another vital part of the process. Prospects Planner provides a sound basis for convincing yourself and an employer that you have made the right choice.
It is designed to be used without supervision or direct support but we recommend you discuss the results with a Careers Adviser. Of course, it can't produce an absolutely accurate picture, so you should use the results as a source of ideas and discussion - Prospects Planner is part of the process of discovering what you want to do, the suggestions it gives are unlikely to be definitive.
To use Prospects Planner, you will need a My Prospects account. This is so that your results can be saved and you can resume your analyses without having to start Planner again.