Planning your own event can seem like a daunting task, so we have put together a simple, step by step, guide:
Step 1 - Why
It is important to consider why you want to hold this event because this will help you to decide on key details. Ask yourself these questions:
- Who might want to attend?
- Do fellow alumni seem interested in this type of event?
- Where is the best location to hold it?
Check out the alumni calendar and find out what is going on; there might be an event with which you can combine your event to increase the appeal, for example a Public Lecture or Music Concert.
Step 2 - Who
When planning your reunion or event, it is important to think about who you would like to be there: Your class year? A sports club? A society? Fellow residents of a hall? It is also worth considering whether you would also like to invite guests. These decisions might in turn affect your plans for the event.
We can help you get back in touch with your friends from Reading, but we are unable to send you a list of contact details due to the Data Protection Act. However, there are other ways we can help: You can either register for our online community where you can search for names of your friends, or you can take the following steps to help us get in touch with alumni on your behalf:
- First make a list of the contemporaries with whom you are trying to get in touch and email it to the Alumni Relations Team. Make sure you include information such as full name (including maiden name where applicable), subject, year of graduation, and halls of residence (if you remember). The more information, the better!
- We will then search our database and let you know how many people we have contact details for. As long as your contemporaries have kept in touch with the University, we will be able to contact them.
- Please send sufficient letters in stamped envelopes to the Alumni Relations Team at the Campaigns and Supporter Engagement Office. We will then send the information out on your behalf. If you would like us to send an email instead of a letter, please forward the text and any relevant links to email@example.com. We will then forward it on to your friends.
Step 3 - What, where and how much
In order to consider where to hold the event, you will need to think about the style, format, budget and date of the event as these factors will impact which venue you choose. There are a number of venues on Campus that can be used for an event; however you might prefer to hold the event elsewhere in the town or even elsewhere in the country.
We can give you advice on venues, catering and accommodation on Campus and can even arrange a guided tour of the Campus and, depending on availability, tours of your departments and halls.
Step 4 - When
You should also consider when you would like to hold the event; some times of the year are busier than others.
The Alumni Office is happy to advise on and discuss your proposed dates. You can also check details of events on the Alumni Events Calendar as well as the University Events Calendar.
Step 5 - How
Organising an event can be relatively straightforward; however, it can take up a lot of time and effort. The more people you can get to help out, the easier it will feel.
Consider creating a checklist of all the points you need to cover when organising an event: from who you want to invite, how you want to make contact, how many people have accepted, deadline you need to stick to, all the way through to creating a budget for the event.
Remember, we can help you to promote your event on the Alumni Events Calendar, in the e-newsletter, alumni publications, and through our social media channels (Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn).
Step 6 - After the event
We love to hear about all events and reunions organised by our alumni. After the event, let us know how it went; we would love to see a write up and some photos to put in our magazine and on our website!
Finally, ensure that you and everyone who attends your event updates their contact details. This is essential if you want to be kept up to date with alumni news and if you want to receive the alumni magazine, Connected, the e-newsletter and event invitations.
Good luck with planning and hosting your event! We hope it is a real success!