Professor Julian Park
Areas of interest
I have a broad range of interests associated with enhancing the student experience relating in particular to the use of technology in education, improving assessment and feedback and enhancing fieldwork experiences. I am a National Teaching Fellow , a PFHEA  and I am part of the Enhancing Fieldwork Learning Team who received a CATE award in 2018. I current convene the modules:
Fundamental of Business and Marketing
Research and Study Skills for MSc students
Towards Sustainability: Positive Action for a Better World
Areas of research interest
My research interests fall in two broad areas: improving the sustainability of agricultural systems and enhancing the student learning experience. Recent and current projects include:
- Encouraging the uptake of mobile technologies in fieldwork
- Financial and environmental sustainability of Mediterranean farms
- Educating for enhanced technology adoption, EU funded
- Enhancing the Circular Food Economy, EU funded
- Personalised public services in support of the implementation of the CAP, EU funded
- Assessing the environmental and economic impacts of GM crops in Europe, EU funded
- Developing environmental indicators in sustainable farming, KTP funded
- The use of video to provide quality, timely feedback to students
As an experienced PhD supervisor I welcome applications from doctoral students in all aspects of agricultural sustainability, the process of change to more sustainable systems and the use of technology in farming systems.
- Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Chair of ICA-EDU: Education Committee of the European Association of Life Sciences Universities
- Iakovidis, D. , Gadanakis, Y. ORCID: 0000-0001-7441-970X , Park, J. ORCID: 0000-0002-3430-9052 (2023) Farmer and adviser perspectives on business planning and control in Mediterranean agriculture: evidence from Argolida, Greece. Agriculture , 13 (2). ISSN: 2077-0472 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/agriculture13020450
- Iakovidis, D. , Gadanakis, Y. ORCID: 0000-0001-7441-970X , Park, J. (2022) Farm-level sustainability assessment in Mediterranean environments: enhancing decision-making to improve business sustainability. Environmental and Sustainability Indicators , 15 ISSN: 2665-9727 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.indic.2022.100187
- Tierney, A. , Aidulis, D. , Park, J. , Clark, K. (2021) Plotting a route through SoTL: from bioscientist to pedagogic researcher. Practice and Evidence of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education , 15 (1). pp. 34-52. ISSN: 1750-8428
- Whalley, W. , Mauchline, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-1168-8552 , Welsh, K. , France, D. , Park, J. (2021) Working together with technology to enhance fieldwork learning. In: Tolston, D. , Watchman Smith, N. , Irving-Bell, D. , Weaver, M. , (eds.) The CATE Collection: Together in Collaborative Educational Leadership. AdvanceHE , York. pp. 62-79. ISBN: 9781916359369
- Whalley, B. , France, D. , Park, J. , Mauchline, A. ORCID: 0000-0003-1168-8552 , Welsh, K. (2021) Towards flexible personalized learning and the future educational system in the fourth industrial revolution in the wake of Covid-19. Higher Education Pedagogies , 6 (1). pp. 79-99. ISSN: 2375-2696 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23752696.2021.1883458
- Clark, K. , Welsh, K. , Mauchline, A. , France, D. , Whalley, W. , Park, J. (2021) Do educators realise the value of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) in fieldwork learning?. Journal of Geography in Higher Education , 45 (2). pp. 255-278. ISSN: 1466-1845 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2020.1808880
- Tierney, A. , Aidulis, D. , Park, J. , Clark, K. (2020) Supporting SoTL development through communities of practice. Teaching and Learning Inquiry , 8 (2). pp. 32-52. ISSN: 2167-4787 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.20343/teachlearninqu.8.2.4
- Whalley, B. , France, D. , Park, J. , Mauchline, A. , Welsh, K. (2019) Developing active personal learning environments on smart mobile devices. pp. 871-889.
- Catarino, R. , Areal, F. , Park, J. , Parisey, N. (2019) Spatially explicit economic effects of non-susceptible pests' invasion on Bt maize. Agricultural Systems , 175 pp. 22-33. ISSN: 0308-521X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2019.05.008
- Singh, S. and Park, J. (2018) Drivers of change in groundwater resources: a case study of the Indian Punjab. Food Security , 10 (4). pp. 965-979. ISSN: 1876-4517 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12571-018-0823-2
- McFarlane, I. , Jones, P. , Park, J. , Tranter, R. (2018) Identifying GM crops for future cultivation in the EU through a Delphi forecasting exercise. AgBioForum , 21 (1). pp. 35-43. ISSN: 1522-936X
- Whalley, W. , Mauchline, A. , France, D. , Park, J. , Welsh, K. (2018) The iPad six years on: progress and problems for enhancing mobile learning with special reference to fieldwork education. In: Crompton, H. and Traxler, J. , (eds.) Mobile learning in higher education: challenges in context. Routledge , New York. ISBN: 9781138238763
- Welsh, K. , Mauchline, A. , France, D. , Powell, V. , Whalley, W. , Park, J. (2018) Would Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) be welcomed by undergraduate students to support their learning during fieldwork?. Journal of Geography in Higher Education , 42 (3). pp. 356-371. ISSN: 1466-1845 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2018.1437396
- Iliakis, K. , Gadanakis, Y. , Park, J. (2017) Technology gaps and leaps in the sustainable development of English cereal and general cropping farms. AgEcon Search research in agricultural and applied economics
- Jones, P. , McFarlane, I. , Park, J. , Tranter, R. (2017) Assessing the potential economic benefits to farmers from various GM crops becoming available in the European Union by 2025: results from an expert survey. Agricultural Systems , 155 pp. 158-167. ISSN: 0308-521X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2017.05.005
- France, D. , Powell, V. , Mauchline, A. , Welsh, K. , Park, J. , Whalley, W. , Rewhorn, S. (2016) Ability of students to recognize the relationship between using mobile apps for learning during fieldwork and the development of graduate attributes. Journal of Geography in Higher Education , 40 (2). pp. 182-192. ISSN: 1466-1845 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2016.1154931
- Catarino, R. , Ceddia, G. , Areal, F. , Parisey, N. , Park, J. (2016) Managing maize under pest species competition: is Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) maize the solution?. Ecosphere , 7 (6). ISSN: 2150-8925 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ecs2.1340
- France, D. , Whalley, W. , Mauchline, A. , Powell, V. , Welsh, K. , Lerczak, A. , Park, J. , Bednarz, R. (2015) Enhancing fieldwork learning using mobile technologies. Springer briefs in ecology Springer , Cham. pp 173. ISBN: 9783319209661
- Welsh, K. , Mauchline, A. , Powell, V. , France, D. , Park, J. , Whalley, W. (2015) Student perceptions of iPads as mobile learning devices for fieldwork. Journal of Geography in Higher Education , 39 (3). pp. 450-469. ISSN: 1466-1845 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2015.1066315
- Gadanakis, Y. , Bennett, R. , Park, J. , Areal, F. (2015) Improving productivity and water use efficiency: a case study of farms in England. Agricultural Water Management , 160 pp. 22-32. ISSN: 0378-3774 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2015.06.020
- Catarino, R. , Ceddia, G. , Areal, F. , Park, J. (2015) The impact of secondary pests on Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) crops. Plant Biotechnology Journal , 13 (5). pp. 601-612. ISSN: 1467-7652 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/pbi.12363
- McFarlane, I. and Park, J. (2015) Arable crop rotations under abiotic stress: a dynamic economic model.
- Areal, F. , Dunwell, J. , Jones, P. , Park, J. , McFarlane, I. , Srinivasan, C. , Tranter, R. (2015) An evidence-based review on the likely economic and environmental impact of genetically modified cereals and oilseeds for UK agriculture. HGCA (82). pp 96.
- Whalley, B. , France, D. , Park, J. , Mauchline, A. , Powell, V. , Welsch, K. (2015) iPad use in fieldwork: formal and informal use to enhance pedagogical practice in a bring your own technology world. In: Souleles, N. and Pillar, C. , (eds.) iPad use in fieldwork: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on the use of iPads in higher education (ihe2014). Cambridge Scholars Publishing pp. 110-125. ISBN: 9781443876261
- Gadanakis, Y. ORCID: 0000-0001-7441-970X , Bennett, R. , Park, J. , Areal, F. (2015) Evaluating the sustainable intensification of arable farms. Journal of Environmental Management , 150 pp. 288-298. ISSN: 0301-4797 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2014.10.005
- Arpaia, S. , Messéan, A. , Birch, N. , Hokannen, H. , Härtel, S. , Van Loon, J. , Lovei, G. , Park, J. , Spreafico, H. , Squire, G. , Steffan-Dewenter, I. , Tebbe, C. , Van der Voet, H. (2014) Assessing and monitoring impacts of genetically modified plants on agro-ecosystems: the approach of AMIGA project. Entomologia , 2 (1). ISSN: 2281-9584 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.4081/entomologia.2014.154
- McFarlane, I. , Park, J. , Ceddia, G. (2014) The extent to which potential benefits to EU farmers of adopting transgenic crops are reduced by cost of compliance with coexistence regulations. AgBioForum , 17 (1). pp. 37-43. ISSN: 1522-936X
- Mauchline, A. , Peacock, J. , Park, J. (2013) The future of bioscience fieldwork in UK higher education. Bioscience Education , 21 (1). pp. 7-19. ISSN: 1479-7860 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.11120/beej.2013.00014
- Gomez, S. , Andersson, H. , Park, J. , Maw, S. , Crook, A. , Orsmond, P. (2013) A digital ecosystems model of assessment feedback on student learning. Higher Education Studies , 3 (2). ISSN: 1925-475X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5539/hes.v3n2p41
- Welsh, K. , Mauchline, A. , Park, J. , Whalley, W. , France, D. (2013) Enhancing fieldwork learning with technology: practitioner's perspectives. Journal of Geography in Higher Education , 37 (3). pp. 399-415. ISSN: 1466-1845 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2013.792042
- Orsmond, P. , Maw, S. , Park, J. , Gomez, S. , Crook, A. (2013) Moving feedback forward: theory to practice. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education , 38 (2). pp. 240-252. ISSN: 1469-297X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02602938.2011.625472
- Luck, M. and Park, J. (2012) Bioscience Horizons: the national journal of undergraduate research. In: Hart, A. , (eds.) How to start an undergraduate research journal. "How to" series How to start an undergraduate research journal pp. 53-56. ISSN: 0941933415 ISBN: 0941933415
- Welsh, K. , France, D. , Whalley, B. , Park, J. (2012) Geotagging photographs in student fieldwork. Journal of Geography in Higher Education , 36 (3). pp. 469-480. ISSN: 1466-1845 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2011.647307
- Crook, A. , Mauchline, A. , Maw, S. , Lawson, C. , Drinkwater, R. , Lundqvist, K. , Orsmond, P. , Gomez, S. , Park, J. (2012) The use of video technology for providing feedback to students: can it enhance the feedback experience for staff and students?. Computers & Education , 58 (1). pp. 386-396. ISSN: 0360-1315 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2011.08.025
- Mauchline, A. , Mortimer, S. , Park, J. , Finn, J. , Haysom, K. , Westbury, D. , Purvis, G. , Louwagie, G. , Northey, G. , Primdahl, J. , Vejre, H. , Kristensen, L. , Teilmann, K. , Vesterager, J. , Knickel, K. , Kasperczyk, N. , Balázs, K. , Podmaniczky, L. , Vlahos, G. , Christopoulos, S. , Kroger, L. , Aakkula, J. , Yli-Viikari, A. (2012) Environmental evaluation of agri-environment schemes using participatory approaches: experiences of testing the Agri-Environmental Footprint Index. Land Use Policy , 29 (2). pp. 317-328. ISSN: 0264-8377 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2011.07.002
- Peacock, J. , Park, J. , Mauchline, A. (2011) Effective learning in the life sciences: fieldwork. In: Adams, D. , (eds.) Effective Learning in the Life Sciences. Wiley-Blackwell , Chichester. pp. 65-90. ISBN: 9780470661567
- Maw, S. , Mauchline, A. , Park, J. (2011) Biological fieldwork provision in higher education. Bioscience Education , 17 ISSN: 1479-7860 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.3108/beej.17.1
- McFarlane, I. , Park, J. , Ceddia, G. , Phipps, R. (2011) Transgenic soya beans: economic implications for EU livestock sector. Quality Assurance and Safety of Crops & Foods , 3 (2). pp. 54-62. ISSN: 1757-837X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1757-837X.2011.00096.x
- Park, J. , McFarlane, I. , Phipps, R. , Ceddia, G. (2011) The impact of the EU regulatory constraint of transgenic crops on farm income. New Biotechnology , 28 (4). pp. 396-406. ISSN: 1871-6784 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nbt.2011.01.005
- Westbury, D. , Park, J. , Mauchline, A. , Crane, R. , Mortimer, S. (2011) Assessing the environmental performance of English arable and livestock holdings using data from the Farm Accountancy Data Network (FADN). Journal of Environmental Management , 92 (3). pp. 902-909. ISSN: 0301-4797 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2010.10.051
- Park, J. , McFarlane, I. , Phipps, R. , Ceddia, M. (2011) The role of transgenic crops for sustainable development. Plant Biotechnology Journal , 9 (1). pp. 2-21. ISSN: 1467-7652 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-7652.2010.00565.x
- Crook, A. , Park, J. , Lawson, C. , Lundqvist, K. , Drinkwater, R. , Walsh, J. , Gomez, S. , Orsmond, P. , Maw, S. (2010) ASSET: moving forward through feedback. JISC pp 20.
- Mortimer, S. , Mauchline, A. , Park, J. , Finn, J. , Edwards, D. , Morris, J. (2010) Evaluation of agri-environmental and forestry schemes with multiple objectives. Eurochoices , 9 (1). pp. 48-53. ISSN: 1478-0917 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-692X.2010.00149.x
- Tate, G. and Park, J. (2010) Farming and food production and development in the Shropshire Hills Environmentally Sensitive Area, 1997-2008. Journal of Farm Management , 13 (11). pp. 779-788. ISSN: 0014-8059
- Purvis, . , Louwagie, . , Northey, . , Mortimer, . , Park, . , Mauchline, . , Finn, . , Primdahl, . , Vejre, . , Vesterager, . , Knickel, . , Kasperczyk, . , Balazs, . , Vlahos, . , Christopoulos, . , Peltola, . (2009) Conceptual development of a harmonised method for tracking change and evaluating policy in the agri-environment: The Agri-environmental Footprint Index. Environmental Science & Policy , 12 (3). pp. 321-337. ISSN: 1462-9011 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2009.01.005
- Park, . , Stabler, . , Jones, . , Mortimer, . , Tiffin, . , Tranter, . (2009) Evaluating the role of environmental quality in the sustainable rural economic development of England. Environment, Development and Sustainability , 11 (4). pp. 735-750. ISSN: 1387-585X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10668-008-9140-9
- Willis, . , Bohan, . , Powers, . , Choi, . , Park, . , Gussin, . (2008) The importance of temperature and moisture to the egg-laying behaviour of a pest slug, Deroceras reticulatum. Annals of Applied Biology , 153 (1). pp. 105-115. ISSN: 0003-4746 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-7348.2008.00242.x
- Strange, . , Park, . , Bennett, . , Phipps, . (2008) The use of life-cycle assessment to evaluate the environmental impacts of growing genetically modified, nitrogen use-efficient canola. Plant Biotechnology Journal , 6 (4). pp. 337-345. ISSN: 1467-7652 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-7652.2008.00323.x
- Rehman, . , McKemey, . , Yates, . , Cooke, . , Garforth, . , Tranter, . , Park, . , Dorward, . (2007) Identifying and understanding factors influencing the uptake of new technologies on dairy farms in SW England using the theory of reasoned action. Agricultural Systems , 94 (2). pp. 281-293. ISSN: 0308-521X | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2006.09.006
- Mauchline, . , Park, . , Finn, . , Mortimer, . (2007) The agri-environmental Footprint Index. Aspects of Applied Biology , 81 pp. 263-266. ISSN: 0265-1491
- Fraser, . , Crook, . , Park, . (2007) From principles of science to publishing: a new interactive resource for bioscience undergraduates. pp. 239-240.
- Fraser, . , Crook, . , Park, . (2007) Research skills audit tool: An online resource to map research skills within undergraduate curricula. pp. 58.
- Fraser, . , Crook, . , Park, . (2007) A tool for mapping research skills in undergraduate curricula. Bioscience Education e-Journal , 9
- Rehman, . and Park, . (2006) An educational evolution from agricultural science to rural management - a perspective from the UK. In: Dennis, . , (eds.) Rethinking Higher Education in the Food Chain and Environment: Profiling graduates for the future. (Proceedings of the 7th European Conference on Higher Education). The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University (KVL) , Copenhagen. pp. 121 - 132. ISBN: 9788776111472
- Rehman, . , Beedell, . , Park, . (2006) Bringing entrepreneurial experience into the lecture room at Reading: some observations and their implications. In: Slavik, . and Zakova, . , (eds.) The Public and the Agriculture and Forestry Industries - The role of higher education in questioning assumptions and matching expectations. (Proceedings of the 8th European Conference on Higher Agricultural Education. Czech University of Agriculture , Prague. pp. 204-218. ISBN: 8021315172
- Park, . , Wilson, . , Maw, . (2006) Learning networks for developing subject specific competences. pp. 167-168.
- Garforth, . , Park, . , McKemey, . , Rehman, . , Tranter, . , Cooke, . , Dorward, . , eds. (2006) Improving the use of white clover through a better understanding of farmer attitudes and behaviour. In: Moorby, . , (eds.) British Grassland Society pp. 39-40. ISBN: 0 905944 32 1
- Garforth, . , McKemey, . , Rehman, . , Tranter, . , Cooke, . , Park, . , Dorward, . , Yates, . (2006) Farmers' attitudes towards techniques for improving oestrus detection in dairy herds in South West England. Livestock Science , 103 (1-2). pp. 158-168. ISSN: 1871-1413 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.02.006
- Park, J. , Stabler, M. , Mortimer, S. , Jones, P. , Ansell, D. , Parker, G. (2004) The use of a multiple criteria decision analysis to evaluate the effectiveness of landscape and habitat enhancement mechanisms: an example from the South Downs. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management , 47 pp. 773-793. ISSN: 0964-0568 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0964056042000274470
- Garforth, . , Rehman, . , McKemey, . , Tranter, . , Cooke, . , Yates, . , Park, . , Dorward, . (2004) Improving the design of knowledge transfer strategies by understanding farmer attitudes and behaviours. Farm Management Journal , 12 pp. 17-32.
- Rehman, . , McKemey, . , Garforth, . , Huggins, . , Yates, . , Cooke, . , Tranter, . , Park, . , Dorward, . (2003) Theory of reasoned Action and its integration with economic reasoning in linking farmers' attitudes and adoption behaviour - an illustration from the analysis of the uptake of livestock technologies in the South-West of England.
- Murdoch, . , Watson, . , Park, . (2003) Modelling the soil seed bank as an aid to crop management in integrated arable farming systems. Bcpc International Congress Crop Science & Technology 2003, Vol 1 and 2, Congress Proceedings. British Crop Protection Council , Farnham. pp. 521-526. ISBN: 1901396630
- Murdoch, . , Watson, . , Park, . (2003) Modelling the soil seed bank as an aid to crop management in Integrated Arable Farming Systems.
- Garforth, . , Rehman, . , McKemey, . , Tranter, . , Cooke, . , Yates, . , Park, . , Dorward, . (2003) Improving the design of knowledge transfer strategies by understanding farmer attitudes and behaviour.. Institute of Agricultural Management
- Garforth, . , Rehman, . , McKemey, . , Tranter, . , Cooke, . , Yates, . , Park, . , Dorward, . (2003) Improving the targeting of knowledge and technology transfer in the livestock sector by understanding farmer attitudes to behaviour..
- Bailey, . , Basford, . , Penlington, . , Park, . , Keatinge, . , Rehman, . , Tranter, . , Yates, . (2003) A comparison of energy use in conventional and integrated arable farming systems in the UK. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment , 97 (1-3). pp. 241-253. ISSN: 0167-8809 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0167-8809(03)00115-4
- Ansell, . , Jones, . , Mortimer, . , Park, . (2003) Evaluating the effectiveness of mechanisms to achieve landscape and habitat enhancement in the South Downs. Sussex Downs Conservation Board , Storrington, West Sussex. pp. 203.
- Bailey, A. , Rehman, T. , Park, J. , Keatinge, J. , Tranter, R. (1999) Towards a method for the economic evaluation of environmental indicators in UK Integrated Arable Farming Systems. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment , 72 (2). pp. 145-158. ISSN: 0167-8809 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8809(98)00171-6
- Park, J. , Bailey, A. , Yates, C. , Keatinge, J. , Rehman, T. , Tranter, R. (1999) Do Integrated Arable Farming Systems provide a more sustainable form of agricultural production: the UK case. Journal of Farm Management , 10 (7). pp. 379-391. ISSN: 0014-8059
- Park, J. , Farmer, P. , Bailey, A. , Keatinge, J. , Rehman, T. , Tranter, R. (1997) Integrated Arable Farming Systems and their potential uptake in the UK. Journal of Farm Management , 9 (10). pp. 483-494. ISSN: 0014-8059
- Park, J. , Bailey, A. , Keatinge, J. , Rehman, T. , Harris, D. , Tranter, R. (1996) An analytical framework for appraising Integrated Arable Farming Systems. Aspects of Applied Biology: Rotations and Cropping Systems , 47 pp. 317-325.