Records of the Longman Group

The Longman Group is the successor to the oldest publishing house in the United Kingdom, established in Paternoster Row, London, in 1724.  In the 19th century Longman were part of the great renaissance of English poetry, as well as continuing to publish scholarly works on a wide range of subjects.  Later educational publishing became another mainstay of the firm.  

Longman remained a family business until 1970, when it merged with Penguin Books. By the time of the death of the last family chairman, Mark Longman, in 1972, the firm was known as Pearson Longman.

The collection falls into three parts. Part one contains ledgers, registers and bound records, all relating to the publishing side of the business. Part two contains loose documents, letters, papers and photographs referring both to the Longman family and to publishing. The final section contains books published by or connected with the firm.

Most of the material dates from the 19th and early 20th centuries, but there is also some 18th-century material preserved by the firm as being of particular interest.

Some records come from the subsidiary firms of J.W. Parker, Sir Richard Phillips, A.J. Valpy, J. & A. Churchill and Thomas Cadell.

More information

  • This collection is fully catalogued and appears on Enterprise
  • A full description is available from our online database
  • Manuscript number MS 1393
publishing history printed books (pre-1850), printed books (post-1850), correspondence, business records longman group

Page navigation

 

Search Form

A-Z lists