University of Reading cookie policy

We use cookies on to improve your experience, monitor site performance and tailor content to you.

Read our cookie policy to find out how to manage your cookie settings.


Estates and Facilities has sent information on its new competency procedures to all contractors and consultants on our preferred list. These Web pages provide guidance to organisations and also for organisations looking to work with us in the future.

Why are we doing this?

The University has a legal duty to ensure that all the contractors and consultants it uses are competent. All companies working for the University must have appropriate management systems in place. The relevant legislation is:

Health and Safety competence

E&F needs to ensure that basic health and safety management systems are in place. The University has signed up to the Contractors Health & Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS) for its own operations and will require all Contractors and Consultants who work on construction related projects to be accredited with CHAS, Safe Contractor or similar approved accreditation schemes. Construction for this purpose is classed as all works involving building new structures, structural modifications to existing buildings, all demolition works and any works involving excavations.

For non construction related works i.e. maintenance, installation of equipment (where it does not involve modification to the building structure), HVAC, electrical works etc. UoR will need to see that the company has membership of the appropriate recognised trade body.

Projects-specific competence

All organisations will have to demonstrate that they are competent to carry out the work they are applying for. Your staff are expected to be formally trained where appropriate and to have current knowledge and experience. References will be required from former clients and customers, along with an organogram for key personnel.

  • Site Rules for Working on University Premises (pdf 609KB)

    Insurance requirements

    All contractors and consultants must have minimum Public Liability (PL) insurance of £5,000,000. Consultants carrying out design work need Professional Indemnity (PI) Insurance of at least £2,000,000. This also applies to contractors carrying out any type of design and build project.

    Is it worth it?

    Please remember that although this may seem onerous, every contractor and consultant must go through this process. No organisation may carry out work for E&F without having gone through a 'competency' assessment.