STaR Mentors are current students that are committed to helping others and genuinely want to make a difference to a new student’s start at the University of Reading.
About the role
- Establish a successful mentoring partnership with between 5- 25 new students (mentees).
- Contact mentees before they arrive at University by email & answer questions about student life.
- Participate in events as appropriate – virtual and in person (when it is safe to do so).
- Be contactable by email & available to meet in person, when it is safe to do so, during the first term.
- Commit around 1 hour, on average, per week to mentoring.
Eligibility and selection criteria
To be eligible to apply to be a STaR mentor, students must be:
- A current Undergraduate or International Foundation Programme student at the University of Reading.
- Studying at the University in the 2021/22 academic year.
- Available to mentor new students from September 2021 until December 2021.
- Committed to helping others and genuinely want to make a difference to a new student’s start at the University of Reading.
- Gain volunteer experience.
- Opportunity to help others.
- Develop personal and professional skills for future employment.
- Hours for the RED Award