STaR PG International Mentors are current postgraduate students that are committed to helping others and genuinely want to make a difference to a new international postgraduate student’s start at the
University of Reading.
About the role
- Establish a successful mentoring partnership with between 1-12 new postgraduate taught (PGT) and postgraduate research (PGR) students (mentees).
- Contact mentees before they arrive in the UK by email and help prepare them for what to expect from living and studying in the UK and provide insight on postgraduate study at the University of Reading.
- Participate in events as appropriate – virtual and in person (when it is safe to do so).
- Be contactable by email & available to meet in person, when it is safe to do so, during the first term.
- Commit around 1 hour, on average, per week to mentoring.
Eligibility and selection criteria
To be eligible to apply to be a STaR PG International mentor, students must be:
- A current postgraduate student at the University of Reading.
- Studying at the University in the 2021/22 academic year.
- Available to mentor new students from September 2021 until December 2021.
- Committed to helping others and genuinely want to make a difference to a new student’s transition to life in the UK and postgraduate study at Reading.
- Gain volunteer experience.
- Opportunity to help others.
- Develop personal and professional skills for future employment.
- Hours for the RED Award