Digital support fund
The application deadline for the digital support fund was 12:00 on 21 September 2020. We hope to be able to open for another round of applications soon.
In the meantime, if you are having financial difficulties, please take a look at our Student Support Fund.
The Digital Support Fund is a support fund to help students with the associated costs of online learning and study.
There are 50 grants of £500 per student, designed to be used as a contribution to buying a laptop and peripherals (mouse, keyboard, extra monitor, router, dongle etc.) or for paying broadband bills.
The University of Reading is committed to ensuring that none of our applicants is disadvantaged in accessing our undergraduate degree programmes because of their background. We recognise that some students are more likely than their peers to face barriers to higher education, through no fault of their own.
This digital support fund is designed to provide financial support for applicants who live in areas of the United Kingdom with high levels of deprivation and low participation in Higher Education and whose assessed taxable household income is £0.
This fund has been made possible thanks to the generous support of University of Reading donors, many of whom were once students at Reading themselves. We are grateful to Santander Universities for their substantial contribution.
Who can apply?
To apply for the Digital Support Fund, you must:
- Be a first year or a returning student on any undergraduate course; and
- Be a permanent resident of the UK; and
- Live in an area with low participation in Higher Education (defined as Polar4 Quintile 1); and
- Be assessed by your Student Finance Authority1 as eligible for financial support and have an assessed household taxable income of £0.
- Limited funds are available, so priority will be given to students who are estranged/care experienced, students with school aged dependants, or students whose course is known to require high specification IT.
How can I check my postcode?
Enter your home address postcode into the Office for Students postcode checker.
For the purposes of meeting the eligibility of this fund you should check that the POLAR 4 quintile is 1, view an example.