Short-term Student (English language) visa
A Short-term Student visa is for students who are genuinely seeking entry to study as a short-term student on an English language course only that is between six and 11 months in duration. For studies not exceeding six months a Visitor visa would be appropriate.
You must be aged 16 or over and you must apply for this visa from outside of the UK. You cannot extend a Short-term Student visa or switch into the Student route from inside the UK.
This visa category imposes some restrictions and conditions while you are in the UK:
• You will not be entitled to take up employment, undertake placements or internships, start your own business, and you will have ‘no recourse to public funds’.
• You cannot bring dependants.
• You will have no entitlement to healthcare. Therefore, we strongly advise that you take out medical insurance to cover the duration of your stay to avoid any unexpected costly medical bills.
• You are only permitted to study on the course for which you are granted Short-term Student immigration permission.
• You must leave the UK within 30 days of your course end date as declared in your visa application or before your visa expires, whichever is earlier.
• You may be required to register with the police.
• You must not intend to make the UK your main home, for example, through frequent or successive visits under the Short-term Student route.
• You cannot apply to switch into any other immigration routes from within the UK.