You'll need to replace your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if it's lost, stolen or damaged and it was valid for at least another 3 months. How soon you must replace it depends on where it was lost or stolen. You can be fined up to £1,000 and made to leave the UK if you do not apply for a replacement in time.
If your BRP was lost, stolen or damaged inside the UK:
If your BRP was valid for more than 3 months or you will want to travel and return to the UK, you must report the loss to the police and get a reference number from them.
- You will need to quote that reference number when applying for a replacement BRP card
- You must apply for a replacement BRP card within 3 months of the BRP card being lost, stolen or damaged
- A replacement BRP card costs £56 plus £19.20 to enrol your biometrics.
- Report the loss and apply for a replacement BRP online. You can book an appointment with an International Student Adviser to check your BRP (RC) application and supporting documents before you send it. Do not go past section '3. Documents' on the online application form. If you go beyond this point it may not be possible to make any changes or corrections to the form. DO NOT PAY or finish the application.
For details on how to book an appointment please click here.
Note: As soon as you make the report to the Home Office that your BRP is lost, it will be cancelled, even if you find it shortly afterwards. Therefore, be confident that your BRP card is truly lost before making the report.
- After you have submitted the application, you will need to book an appointment to visit a Service Point to provide your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) and your supporting documents. The closest Service Point is Reading library
In the event of a very urgent need to travel it is possible to leave the United Kingdom without a BRP card, but to return you will need to follow the process described in the section below. You should factor into your decision whether you really have an urgent need to travel as it might delay any return to the UK. We cannot speed up the process of issuing a replacement BRP visa.
If your BRP card was valid for less than 3 months you do not have to get a replacement. You will need to report the lost or stolen BRP to the Home Office if you not need a replacement.
If your BRP was lost, stolen or damaged outside the UK:
You can't apply for a replacement BRP card outside the UK.
You must report the loss to the Home Office using this link on their website and you should also report the loss to the police and get a reference number from them.
You will first need to apply for a replacement single-use BRP visa that you can use once to re-enter the UK. This costs £154. For full details, see the guidance on the Home Office website for people whose BRP is lost or stolen outside the UK.
You will need to complete the online visa application.
If you are redirected to the Visa4UK website, when asked to Select Visa Type, choose Other > Others > Replacement Biometric Residence Permit.
Once you have used the single-entry visa to replace the BRP to enter the UK, you will need to apply within 1 month of your return to the UK for a replacement BRP card (see the above section).