Careers in Marketing, Media & Communications
Did you know that Marketing is one of the most popular career sectors for Reading students? This is a rewarding area of work open to students from a large range of degree backgrounds.
If you’d like a career which involves creativity and being able to communicate effectively in a range of formats (e.g. text, online or visually) - then a job within Media, Marketing & Comms could be for you!
There are lots of different roles within this sector – such as working in publishing, journalism or TV… or at the more ‘business end’ perhaps marketing, advertising or public relations.
Want to know more?
Use the links below to find out career opportunities in the various job roles.
For an overall starting point. Take a read through the sector information provided by Prospects…
- Media and Internet (for jobs in journalism, TV and film and publishing)
- Marketing, advertising and PR
For searching for graduate roles and internships, take a look at:
- Marketing graduate schemes
- Campaign | Marketing Week | PR Week | The Drum
- Book Careers | The Bookseller | HoldTheFrontPage
For more detailed information on specific job areas try:
- The Institute of Advertising Practitioners (IPA) - roles within advertising, plus advice on how to get in and current vacancies.
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing – information and events about how to get into marketing, plus more on qualifications.
- The Public Relations Consultants Association (PRCA) - career information about PR and advertises internships and graduate jobs.
- The National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) – information on working in journalism, roles available and accredited training courses.
- The Publishers Association - information and advice for people wanting to break into publishing and job vacancies.
- The Society of Young Publishers – organisation helping young professionals break into the publishing industry.
Taking things further
Book a one to one discussion with a Careers Consultant to talk about any areas that interest you and get advice on jobs, how to develop your CV and what steps you can take next.