Careers in Marketing, Media & Communications
Did you know that Marketing is one of the most popular career sectors for Reading students? This is a rewarding area of work open to students from a large range of degree backgrounds.
If you’d like a career which involves creativity and being able to communicate effectively in a range of formats (e.g. text, online or visually) - then a job within Media, Marketing & Comms could be for you!
There are lots of different roles within this sector – such as working in publishing, journalism or TV… or at the more ‘business end’ perhaps marketing, advertising or public relations. To help you get a better sense of the options in these areas there are a number of sessions running in Week Four of the Autumn Term explore different careers across the Media, Marketing and Communications sectors.
There are five different sector panel events running this week. Each event will give you a chance to find out what it is like working in these particular industries, tips on where to find jobs and what you can do while still at university to increase your chances of getting in.
Find out more about each session and book your place below.
- Explore careers in Advertising | Monday 18 October | 13:00 - 14:30
- Employer Panel: Marketing | Monday 18 October | 18.00 - 19.00
- Explore careers in Public Relations and Social Media | Tuesday 19 October | 13:00 - 14:30
- Explore careers in Journalism and Digital Comms | Wednesday 20 October | 18:00 - 19.30
- Explore careers in Publishing | Thursday 21 October | 13:00 - 14:30
Want to know more?
Use the links below to find out career opportunities in the various job roles.
For an overall starting point. Take a read through the sector information provided by Prospects…
- Media and Internet (for jobs in journalism, TV and film and publishing)
- Marketing, advertising and PR
For searching for graduate roles and internships, take a look at:
- Marketing graduate schemes
- Campaign | Marketing Week| PR Week | The Drum
- Book Careers | The Bookseller | HoldTheFrontPage
For more detailed information on specific job areas try:
- The Institute of Advertising Practitioners (IPA) - roles within advertising, plus advice on how to get in and current vacancies.
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing – information and events about how to get into marketing, plus more on qualifications.
- The Public Relations Consultants Association (PRCA) - career information about PR and advertises internships and graduate jobs.
- The National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) – information on working in journalism, roles available and accredited training courses.
- The Publishers Association - information and advice for people wanting to break into publishing and job vacancies.
- The Society of Young Publishers – organisation helping young professionals break into the publishing industry.
Taking things further
Book a one to one discussion with a Careers Consultant to talk about any areas that interest you and get advice on jobs, how to develop your CV and what steps you can take next.