Dr Stavros Vlachos
SpecialismAgri-Food Economics, Consumer Behaviour, Environmental Health, Experimental Economics, Surveys
Areas of interestI am an applied economist that uses experimental and analytical methods to understand the behaviour of consumers and how they make decisions in different environments (markets). Most, though not all, of my research is motivated by the search for more realistic empirical foundations of economic theory utilizing behavioural and experimental evidence. It more generally includes microeconomic applications in the context of agri-food sector, energy, health and sustainable food consumption. I maintain interest also in the areas of big data, environmental health and economics of education.
Postgraduate supervisionI am happy to supervise MSc and Undergraduate students and support PhD students with strong quantitative background on my areas of interest.
Research centres and groups
Prior to joining the University to Reading, I held fellowship positions in Economics and have been affiliated with the:
- Centre for Health Research - Management School of Queen’s University Belfast
- Administrative Data Research Centre Northern Ireland (ADRC-NI)
- Institute of Global Food Security – School of Biological Sciences of Queen’s University Belfast
Research projectsMy work has been supported by funding from UKRI/BBSRC, UKRI/ESRC through ADRC-NI, and UK Energy Research Centre. I am currently working on the consumer behaviour elements of the UKRI Transforming UK Food Systems "Raising the Pulse (RtP)” project, WP4. Other projects in progress include 1) the Effectiveness of Persuasive Messages on Consumer Behaviour, 2) the Health Effects of Ambient Air Pollution, 3) the Role of Gender, Ageing and Latency in the Transition to a Low-Carbon System and 4) the Impact of Exclusions on Educational Attainment and Labour Market Outcomes.
- PhD in Economics, Management School, Queen’s University Belfast
- MSc in Food Economics and Marketing, School of Agriculture, Policy and Development, University of Reading
- BSc-MSc in Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, School of Food, Biotechnology and Development, Agriculture University of Athens