When to apply
There is no specific deadline to apply for most courses and applications will be considered until the course is full. However, to allow time for us to process your application we recommend that you apply by the following dates for admission in October:
You should apply for a taught course - MA/MSc etc - as early as possible.
Most of our taught programmes start at the beginning of the autumn term (in early October) but there are a few courses with intakes at the beginning of the spring term (January) or occasionally other dates throughout the year. Please see the individual subject pages for further details.
We recommend that for entry in October:
- UK students should apply by 1 August
- International students should apply by 1 June or earlier, if possible, to ensure there is enough time to get a visa, if applicable. (UK Government Visa information).
Please note that some programmes e.g. the MSc Speech and Language Therapy and some of the PGCE programmes may require you to apply earlier than this deadline due to their popularity and the limited number of places available. Please consult the online information for your chosen programme.
Some courses have earlier application deadlines:
- PGCE Primary Teaching 1 December
- MSc Speech & Language Therapy - 1 December. (You should also only apply if you have actually completed your undergraduate degree and know your result)
- PGCE Secondary Teaching This is a very popular course so please apply early.
Research Degree Programmes
You can start a PhD or MPhil in January, October or May. You should apply as early as possible. Please remember funding deadlines when considering when to apply.
- If you are a UK applicant, you should apply no later than two months before your intended start date.
- If you are applying from outside the UK, you should try to apply no later than four months before your intended start date. Remember that you need to give yourself time to arrange a visa if necessary ( UK Government Visa Information).
Most doctoral researchers join us at the beginning of the autumn term in October but a small number of research students also start at the beginning of the spring term (January) and at the beginning of summer term (April).
Some of the competitions for scholarships (including those funded by the University of Reading, the Research Councils and other organisations) will also have deadlines for application and will require you to have received a formal offer of a place from us before you submit your application. Please make sure that you submit your application for admission well in advance to allow enough time for us to process it before the scholarship deadline.
How to apply
The quickest and easiest way to apply for Postgraduate study at the University of Reading is through our online application service. This allows you to complete your application information, attach electronic copies of your academic transcripts, certificates and other supporting information and also provides a facility for an email request to be sent to your referees enabling them to send your supporting references directly to us.
If you are applying to follow a research programme, you may also be asked to include a research proposal with your application. More information on this is available on the Graduate School website.
Apply online at: www.reading.ac.uk/pgapply
If you are unable to apply online you can request a paper application form by telephoning +44(0) 118 378 5289 or writing to the Admissions Office, University of Reading, Miller Building, Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 6AB, UK.
Candidates for PGCE programmes should submit an application via the Graduate Teacher Training Registry (www.gttr.ac.uk).