Japanese is an East Asian language and the official language of Japan . It has120 million speakers worldwide. Japan is the world's third largest economy and a significant contributor to UK prosperity. Japanese is the fourth most common language on the internet.
British Council (2014), Languages for the Future
Taking Japanese with IWLP as part of your degree (for 20 credits)?
- If you are in the first year of your course (Part 1 or PGT) - select through online module selection as you do for your other modules. If the selection window has closed go to module surgeries or support centres.
- Returning students (Parts 2/3 and 4) - please discuss with a support centre how to change/add your module choices.
- During the enrolment process you may be asked to complete a Japanese placement test
(NB: During the COVID-19 pandemic - While at home, if you are unable to print your test to complete, please write the parts requiring Japanese characters on a sheet of paper, take a photo and attach it with the rest of the test.)
Taking the language with IWLP but not as part of your degree (as non-credit)?
(Please note applications for non-credits opens at the beginning of September 2020.)
If you are unsure or have any further queries please contact the IWLP Team on email@example.com or telephone 0118 378 7318.
LA1PJ1-IWLP Japanese 1
This is a beginners' module for students who have no prior knowledge of Japanese in either the written or spoken form. It will provide an introduction to Japanese, concentrating on its communicative use in familiar everyday situations. Students will acquire a basic understanding of the language and the ability to communicate at a survival level.
LA1PJ2-IWLP Japanese 2
This post-beginner module is intended for students with some basic knowledge of Japanese such as that acquired by taking IWLP Japanese 1(or equivalent). It aims at enabling students to consolidate and further their understanding of the language and their ability to communicate at a basic level in everyday situations about matters of most immediate personal relevance.
LA1PJ3 - IWLP Japanese 3
The module is aimed at students with some previous basic knowledge of the Japanese language. It is intended for students with an entry level of:
"JF standard (Japan Foundation Standard for Japanese Language Education) ": Level A2 or the equivalent.
By the end of IWLP Japanese 3, students will have reached:
"JF standard (Japan Foundation Standard for Japanese Language Education) ": Level A2+ - B1
Classes are 3 hours a week split into a 2hour and a 1hour session on different days. Popular modules are offered in several parallel groups (A,B,C...) following the same syllabus. You have to attend all 3 hours in one group.
No additional fees are required for IWLP modules if you are:
- A current Undergraduate/Postgraduate Taught student taking IWLP modules as part of your
120/180 credits for the year (with permission by your School in your module specifications).
For other students:
- Non-credit fees have not been finalised yet for 2020/21 but are currently £340 for the year. This will be billed to your student account during November.
- PGR students: If your School is going to fund your IWLP module please get the
PGR agreement form signed by your School Director of Teaching & Learning. Those not being funded will be charged £340 to their student account in November.
- Staff: All staff are required to pay for their IWLP module. The fee is £340. If your School/Dept are willing to fund your module, please complete and return the IWLP_Staff_Agreement_Form
All forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you will enjoy your IWLP module. If however there is a reason you need to withdraw, you will need to complete a iwlp withdrawal form. We cannot remove you from our records until we have received this form, even if you have told your home department/tutor. Refunds are given up to the end of Week 4 of the autumn term.