Department of Mathematics and Statistics
We are a thriving and internationally renowned centre for teaching and research in mathematics, statistics, and their applications, and we welcome enquiries for both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.
- BSc Mathematics (with a Placement Year)
- MMath Mathematics (with a Placement Year)
- BSc Computational Mathematics (with a Placement Year) - Available in 2018
- BSc Mathematics with Computer Science (with a Placement Year) - Available from 2019 onwards
- BSc Mathematics and Economics (with a Placement Year)
- BSc Mathematics with Finance and Investment Banking (with a Placement Year)
- BSc Mathematics and Meteorology (with a Placement Year)
- MMath Mathematics and Meteorology (with a Placement Year)
- BSc Mathematics and Psychology (with a Placement Year)
- BSc Mathematics and Statistics (with a Placement Year)
In the most recent Research Excellence Framework assessment (REF 2014), 86% of our research was recognised as 'World Leading' or 'Internationally Excellent'. We are also a partner in the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Mathematics of Planet Earth with Imperial College London. Having a variety of active, leading-edge research fields enables us to inspire students in areas that interest them, and provide teaching from academics at the forefront of current research.
Seminars and events
Details of all recent and forthcoming seminars and events.
Browse the latest publications, reprints and reports by members of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
Meet the team who will teach, support and inspire you.
Join our team: information on funded postdoctoral fellowships.
Equality and diversity
We strongly support equality and diversity in teaching and learning, and we hold Supporter Status for Good Practice from the London Mathematical Society, demonstrating our commitment to advancing women's careers, while our parent School was awarded the Athena SWAN Silver award in 2010, renewed in 2014 and again in November 2017, in recognition of our commitment to good employment practice for women.
Visit our SMPCS Equality and Diversity webpages to find out more.
We run a range of exciting outreach activities for students and teachers.
Impact and external collaboration
The Department has a long and established track record of impactful research working with a wide variety of industrial and academic partners. Find out more about our research impact and external collaborations.*Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey 2016-17
Along with the Department of Meteorology and the Department of Computer Science we form part of the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences. Our particular areas of expertise include Pure, Applicable and Numerical Analysis, Statistics and Applied Statistics, Complex Fluids and Theoretical Polymer Physics, the Mathematics of Human Behaviour, and Mathematical Biology.