About Health & Safety Services
Health & Safety Services are a team of professionally qualified Health and Safety Advisers. Information on the team and details of their roles and areas of responsibility can be found on Our Staff.
H&SS are dedicated to supporting the university to reduce injuries, accidents and ill-health arising from the work environment and in ensuring legal compliance. We achieve this by providing high quality information and training and by supporting the management of health and safety in our Schools and Services. We aim for continuous improvement of the wider management of H&S across the University as well as in the service we deliver.
We provide a range of services across the University including:
- developing health and safety policies, procedures and management arrangements to assist the University in meeting its statutory obligations
- providing support and guidance to Heads of Schools and Services, managers, Health and Safety Coordinators and academics across the University on how to manage health and safety in their area as well as specialist advice on radiation and biological safety , fire safety, food safety and statutory compliance relating to the built estate
- publishing Codes of Practice and guidance on managing the risks from specific hazards
- developing tools such as forms to assist with risk assessment processes
- monitoring health and safety performance through auditing and inspection
- reporting to the University Health and Safety Committee, University Executive Board and other committees as required
- providing a range of health and safety training courses
- coordinating the investigation of health and safety incidents and accidents
Anyone with a health and safety problem connected with their work should discuss it with their immediate supervisor in the first instance. Advice will also be available from your Health and Safety Coordinator. Where matters cannot be resolved locally, or you need further advice, please contact the most appropriate member of the Health and Safety Services team. If in doubt, contact our administrator (extn 8888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and they will refer your enquiry to a team member.
The main address for Health and Safety Services is:
Health and Safety Services
Room 110, JJ Thomson Building
PO Box 220
Reading, RG6 6AF
Telephone: 0118 378 8888
Note: Sean Callaghan and Larry Woodley are based in the Estates & Facilities building (building number 50)