Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 1999
22-26 March 1999: COMMITTEE - Food Additives and Contaminants (31st Session)
Codex Committee on Food Additives and Contaminants (31st Session)
Matters For Adoption By The Codex Alimentarius Commission:
The Hague, The Netherlands, 22-26 March 1999
- agreed to advance to Step 8 Table 1 (section including 23 additives) of the Draft General Standard for Food Additives,
- agreed to advance to Step 8 the revised Table 3 (and Annex to Table 3) of the Draft General Standard for Food Additives;
- forwarded draft specifications for the identity and purity of food additives to the Commission for adoption as Codex Advisory Specifications,
- advanced the INS numbers for argon, helium and oxygen for adoption at Step 5 of the Accelerated Procedure,
- agreed to align the Health Related Limits for Certain Substances in the Codex Standard for Natural Mineral Waters with the WHO Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality,
- agreed to advance to Step 5 the Proposed Draft Annex A to the General Standard for Food Additives (Guidelines for the Estimation of Appropriate Levels of Use of Food Additives),
- agreed to advance to Step 5 the Proposed Draft Maximum Levels for Tin in canned foods (para. 131, Appendix IX) and the Proposed Draft Maximum Level for Patulin in apple juice and apple juice ingredients in other beverages,
- agreed to circulate circulate INS Number 586 for 4-Hexylresorcinol and an amendment to the functions of Pectins at Step 3 of the Accelerated Procedure,
- agreed to circulate the Proposed Draft Amendment to the Preamble of the General Standard for Food Additives at Step 3 of the Accelerated Procedure,
- agreed to propose as new work : the revision of the General Standard for Irradiated Foods and the elaboration of two Codes of Practice for the Prevention of Contamination by 1) Ochratoxin A and 2) Zearalenone.
Other Matters of Interest to The Commission:
- agreed: to retain at Step 7 a number of additives which required reevaluation by JECFA (paras. 47 and 56); to return to Step 6 all other additives under consideration for inclusion in Table 1 of the Draft General Standard for Food Additives (paras. 48 and 56); to circulate at Step 3 several additives with an ADI "not specified" allocated by JECFA for inclusion in Table 3 (paras. 12 and 56, Appendix XI); and to consider further the use of colours in foods and processing aids (paras. 62 and 145);
- agreed to return to Step 6 for redrafting the draft maximum levels for lead (para. 126);
- agreed to return to Step 6 the Draft Guideline Level for Cadmium in Cereals Pulses and Legumes and to circulate at Step 3 the Proposed Draft Maximum Levels for Cadmium (para. 136, Appendix X) and the Proposed Draft Maximum Levels for Ochratoxin A (para. 109, Appendix IX);
- agreed to return to Step 3 for redrafting the Proposed Draft Code of Practice for Source Directed Measures (para. 120);
- decided that the document concerning Methodology and Principles for Exposure Assessment in the General Standard for Contaminants and Toxins in Food should be redrafted for consideration at the next session (paras. 61-63);
- agreed that the Proposed Draft Provisions to Maintain the Stability of Iodised Salt (Amendment to the Standard for Food Grade Salt) would be returned to Step 3 for redrafting (para. 150).
To go to current FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.