Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 1998
25-29 May 1998: COMMITTEE - Food Labelling (26th Session)
Summary Meeting Report
Codex Committee on Food Labelling
Twenty-sixth Session, Ottawa, 25-29 May 1998
- advanced the Draft Guidelines for the Production, Processing, Labelling and Marketing of Organically Produced Foods for final adoption by the 23rd Session of the Commission, except the sections on criteria and animal production, which will be circulated for further comment;
- advanced the Proposed Draft Recommendations for the Labelling of Foods that can cause Hypersensitivity for final adoption by the 23nd Session of the Commission;
- advanced the Draft Amendment to the Codex Standard for Quick Frozen Fish Sticks (declaration of fish core) for final adoption by the 23rd Session of the Commission;
- advanced certain sections of the Proposed Draft Recommendations for the Labelling of foods obtained through Biotechnology for provisionl adoption by the Commission and agreed to ask for further comments on the other sections;
- agreed to ask for further comments on the amendment to the Guidelines on Nutrition Labelling (list of nutrients);
- agreed to ask for further comments on the Recommendations on Health Claims and to ask the advice of the Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses;
- endorsed the labelling provisions in one draft standard and recommended that the other draft be further considered when finalized by the Committee on Processed Fruits and Vegetables:
- agreed to redraft the Proposed Draft Recommendations for Sports and Energy Drinks for further comments and consideration by the next session;
- agreed to redraft the Proposed Draft Guidelines for Use of the Term "Vegetarian" for further comments and consideration by the next session.
To go to current FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.