Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 1998
18-22 May 1998: COMMITTEE - Milk and Milk Products (3rd Session)
Summary Meeting Report
Codex Committee on Milk and Milk Products
Third Session, Montevideo, 18-22 May 1998
- Finalized the draft revised General Standard for the Use of Dairy Terms and referred it to the next session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission for adoption;
- Established common labelling provisions for use in Codex Standards for Milk and Milk Products;
- Finalized revised draft standards for the following commodities: Butter, Milkfat products, Evaporated Milks, Sweetened Condensed Milks, Milk Powders and Cream Powders, Cheese, Whey Cheese, Cheeses in Brine;
- Recommended the revocation of 14 individual cheese standards on the basis of trade and consumption criteria;
- Established a mechanism for finalising revision of other existing Codex standards for milk and milk products;
- Recommended that the Codex Alimentarius Commission make a clear statement revoking the 1967 recommendation allowing the direct use of hydrogen peroxide as a preservative for raw milk, while supporting the use of the Lactoperoxidase system in cases where refrigeration of raw milk was not possible.
To go to current FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.