Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 2000
14-17 March 2000: TASK FORCE - Foods Derived from Biotechnology (1st Session)
Ad Hoc Intergovernmental Task Force on Foods Derived from Biotechnology
First Session, Chiba, Japan, 14-17 March 2000
The Task Force :
- Decided to elaborate two major texts, namely:
- A set of broad general principle for risk analysis of foods derived from biotechnology (precise title still to be determined);
- Specific guidance on the risk assessment of foods derived from biotechnology (precise title still to be determined).
- Agreed to prepare a list of available analytical methods including those for the detection or identification of foods or food ingredients derived from biotechnology.
- Decided to establish two open-ended Ad Hoc Working Groups, namely:
- Ad Hoc Working Group, to be chaired by Japan, to develop texts mentioned in (a) above (The Woking Group is planned to meet twice before the Second Session of the Task Force);
- Ad Hoc Working Group, to be chaired by Germany, to compile a list of analytical methods mentioned in (b) above (The Working Group will hold a half-day meeting immediately prior to the Second Session of the Task Force).
- Welcomed the initiative of FAO and WHO to convene an expert consultation to support the scientific aspects of its work and agreed upon five specific questions for which scientific advice of the expert consultation would be sought for.
To go to current FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.