Food Law News - EU - 1999
15 March 1999: CONTAMINANTS - Commission Directives on Pesticide Residues in Baby Foods and Infant Formulae
JFSSG Letter,15 March 1999
Commission Directives on Pesticide Residues in Baby Foods and Infant Formulae
Further to the letter of 22 December 1998, this letter follows the agreement on the Directives at the Standing Committee for Foodstuffs on 9 March.
The letter encloses copies but the JFSSG points out that:
- the implementation dates are now 12 and 36 months after entry into force which is 20 days after publication of the Directives in the Official Journal;
- as expected Article 6(2) has been revised to make it clear that the 0.01 mg/kg limit applies to individual pesticides and to products as ready for consumption;
- contrary to what was expected (and mentioned in the letter of 22 December):
- Article 6(3) remains drafted that pesticides should not be "used" in agricultural products from which baby foods etc are made;
- the recitals relating to the EC Scientific Committee for Food remain unchanged;
- a declaration was made committing to an 18 month deadline to fill Annexes IX and VII in the Directives for infant formulae and baby foods respectively and for Annex VI in the baby foods Directive to be filled as work under pesticides authorisations Directive 91/414 progresses.
To go to current EU Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.