Staff Profile:Dr Yota Dimitriadi
- Dr Yota Dimitriadi
- Job Title:
- Lecturer in ICT and Computer Science Education
- Early Career Teaching Fellow 2010.
Main Responsibilities at the Institute:
- ITE Secondary Computer Science Course Leader.
- PGCE Primary Module Leader (ICT/CS).
- BAEd Module Leader (ICT/CS).
- ITE Secondary Professional Studies Tutor.
- Master's Module Leader (Digital Innovations and technologies in teaching and learning).
- School E-Learning Coordinator.
- Academic Advisor to the Disability Officer.
- School Supervision.
- Admissions Officer for Secondary CS course.
- PhD Supervisor.
- ITE Secondary Computer Science.
- ITE Secondary Professional studies.
- BAEd- Foundation Subject: ICT/CS.
- PGCE Primary - Foundation Subject: ICT/CS.
- MA in Teaching and Learning.
- Areas of Interest:
- Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL); online learning.
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Studies.
- Computer Science in Education.
- Cyborgs and the post-human.
- Developing collaborative research with children and young people.
- Actor Network Theory.
- Third space.
- Gender studies.
Areas in which you are able to supervise at Masters/PhD/EdD level:
- Technology Enhance Learning, ICT, Computer Science in Education, robotics in education, Digital Literacy, Online learning.
- Inclusive education, with a particular emphasis on disability studies.
- Female representations, identity and empowerment and digital technologies.
- Participatory research with children and young people.
Current and recent PhD students:
- 2004-2011 Ms Rebecca Wu: PhD thesis on the role on online tutors in VLE discussion boards.
- January 2012-present: Miss Munevver Yige: Inclusive Arts education in mainstream primary schools.
- October 2012-present: Mr Sulaiman Armutairy: The roleof M-Learning in supporting female participation in Higher education in Saudi Arabia.
- April 2013-present: Mr Faihan Aloitabi: Teachers' perceptions of the use of social stories for s tudents affected with autism within Saudi schools: Perspectives of teachers from Saudi Arabia.
- October 2013: Mr Abdullah Suliman A. AlMutlaq: Developing effective CPD models for ICT in Saudi Arabia.
- December 2013: Mrs Maureen Kanchebele: The use of ICT in Teachers' Professional Development Models in Zambia.
- January 2014 Mrs Muna AlSiyabi: The use of mobile technologies in supporting school pupils' learning in Oman.
Current and recent Research Projects:
- 2010-2013: Lead academic for the Knowledge Transfer Project (KTP) with the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS)- collaboration between the Institute of Education, School of Systems Engineering (Prof Shirley Williams, Prof Rachel McCrindle) and WAGGGS:
- 2014: UROP (Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme project on female representations of computer scientists in the written press - The project is a collaboration among the Institute of Education (Dr Yota Dimitriadi, Principal Investigator), the School of Systems Engineering (Prof Rachel McCrindle) and the Department of Typography and Graphic Communication (Mr Gerry Leonidas).
- 2014: Widening Participation Fund: The project will explore the transition models that Secondary Reading Partnership Trainees' (RPTs' ) experience at the start of their Initial Teacher Education (ITE) focusing on Computer Science with the view of reflecting on the attrition rates that the Secondary Computer Science course faces in the last couple of years. Institute of Education, University of Reading Funding. Lead Investigator/Organiser; supported by Mrs Mel Jay.
- 2013: Widening Participation Fund: Coaching to support retention of BME (British Ethnic Minority) trainee teachers, Lead Investigator/Organiser; supported by Mrs Mel Jay.
Enterprise activity; external roles and consultancy:
- Local host and organizer-BCSWomen Lovelace Colloquium 2014.
- Organiser- ESRC Festival of Social Sciences: Creative ways to introduce Computer Science and Art: A year On, Institute of Education, University of Reading 2013.
- Organiser-SEN-D and ICT: Institute of Education, University of Reading -funded by the Teaching Agency 2013.
- Organiser -ESRC Festival of Social Sciences: Integrating Computer Science with Art, Institute of Education, University of Reading 2012.
- Fellow- Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors.
- Member-the British Dyslexia Association (BDA) New Technologies Committee.
- Regional Co-ordinator- Computing at School (CAS).
- Member-National Association of Advisors for Computers in Education (NAACE) member.
- Member -Information Technology in Teacher Education (ITTE) member.
- Member -Associate Membership of the British Dyslexia Association (AMBDA).
- Member -British Computer Society (BCS) Associate Teacher member.
- Member- NAACE.
- Member -British Educational Research Association (BERA) SIG New Technologies in Education and Creativity member.
- Member -American Research Association (AERA) member for Division C (Learning & Instruction) and SIGs: (Technology as an Agent of Change in Teaching and Learning, Disability Studies in Education).
Journal editorships or membership of editorial boards:
- Member of the editorial board- International Journal of University Teaching and Faculty Development (IJUT&FD). ISSN: 1949-4947.
- Member of the editorial board and Journal Reviewer -International Journal of Social Media and Interactive Learning Environments: ISSN (online): 2050-3962.
- Manuscript Reviewer -British Journal of Educational Technology (BJET) Impact factor: 1.539 (ISI Journal Citation Reports © Ranking: 2011: 24/203).
- Manuscript Reviewer-British Journal of Special Education. Online ISSN: 1467-8578, Impact factor: 1.45.
- Expert Evaluator for the Da Vinci Research Programme: European Union's Seventh Framework Programme for Research (FP7).
- Expert Evaluator for the Europa Education Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA): European Union's Seventh Framework Programme for Research (FP7)-assessed an average of 16 EU research projects.
- Member of the advisory panel on the Esmée Fairbairn project: Preparing teachers for more personalised teaching in PGCE programmes: partnership, school based activities and special educational needs, led by Prof. Brahm Norwich, University of Exeter.
- External Evaluator for PENEK Fellowships, Department of Education, Cyprus.
- External Evaluator for European Union Marie Curie Research Fellowships- assessed 10 EU research proposals.
External Examiner posts:
- External Examiner for Secondary Education Computer Science with Information and Communications Technology (ICT), PGCE, University of Greenwich.
- External Examiner for Secondary PGCE IT course, University of Southampton.
- External examiner for Secondary PGCE ICT course, Swansea Metropolitan University.
- 21 March 2014: UK Digital Skills Taskforce regional meeting led and organised by Maggie Philbin, technology broadcaster, Chief Executive of TeenTech and Chair of the UK Digital Skills Taskforce.
Recent Conference Presentations:
- Dimitriadi, Y. (2014) Student teachers with SEN and their use of digital technologies during their training years ECER 2014, 1-5 September 2014, Porto, Portugal-forthcoming.
- Dimitriadi, Y., Williams, S., Spiret, C. and McCrindle, R. (2013) 'Guiding e-learning: Introducing online informal learning to a global voluntary organisation', ECER 2013. 9-13 September 2013. Istanbul, Turkey.
- Dimitriadi, Y (2013) 'Reflecting on Inclusive Technology Practices in Teacher Education: Learning from the Experiences of Disabled Trainee-Teachers', AERA 2013. 27April-1 May 2013, San Francisco.
- Williams, S., Spiret, C., Dimitriadi, Y. and McCrindle, R. (2012) 'Auditing technology uses within a global voluntary organisation' In: Global TIME: Global Conference on Technology, Innovation, Media & Education: 7-9 February 2012, Online, pp. 104-109 (I contributed 25% in this publication).
- Dimitriadi, Y (2011) 'The use of ICT to support transition of children with special educational needs to secondary school' ECER 2011. Berlin, Germany.
- Research groups / Centres:
YNumber of items: 10.
- Alotaibi, F., Dimitriadi, Y. and Kemp, A. E. (2016) Perceptions of teachers using social stories for children with autism at special schools in Saudi Arabia. Journal of Education and Practice, 7 (11). pp. 85-97. ISSN ISSN 2222-1735
- Valle, L.H.C.N., Mitchell, R. and Dimitriadi, Y. (2016) A proposal for using cybernetics science approach to understand cognitive development of critical thinking skills in students. In: VII Congresso Mundial de Estilos de Aprendizagem, 4 - 6 Jul 2016, Bragança, Portugal.
- Smith, N., Allsop, Y. , Caldwell, H. , Hill, D. , Dimitriadi, Y. and Csizmadia, A. P. (2015) Master Teachers in Computing: what have we achieved? In: WiPSCE '15 , 9-11 Nov 2015, London, pp. 21-24. (Proceedings of the Workshop in Primary and Secondary Computing Education)
- Almutairy, S., Davies, T. and Dimitriadi, Y. (2015) Students’ perceptions of their m-learning readiness. International Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering, 9 (5). pp. 1464-1467.
- Williams, S., Spiret, C., Dimitriadi, Y. and McCrindle, R. (2013) Guiding e-learning: introducing online informal learning to a global voluntary organisation. British Journal of Educational Technology, 44 (2). E39-E41. ISSN 1467-8535 doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8535.2012.01361.x
- Williams, S., Spiret, C., Dimitriadi, Y. and McCrindle, R. (2012) Auditing technology uses within a global voluntary organisation. In: Global TIME: Global Conference on Technology, Innovation, Media & Education , 7-9 February 2012, Online, pp. 104-109.
- Dimitriadi, Y., Hodson, P. and Ludhra, G. (2011) Emphasising the 'C' in ICT: speaking, listening and communication. In: Jones, D. and Hodson, P. (eds.) Unlocking speaking and listening. Unlocking Series. Taylor & Francis, London, pp. 146-162. ISBN 9780415603171
- Dimitriadi, Y. (2009) Reflecting on inclusive technology practices in teacher education: learning from the experiences of disabled trainee-teachers. In: AERA 2009, 13-17 April 2009, San Diego.
- Dimitriadi, Y. (2002) Working with Dyslexic Learners: Authoring in a Multimedia Environment. In: Watson, D. and Andersen, J. (eds.) Networking the Learner: Computers in Education : Seventh IFIP World Conference on Computers in Education, WCCE 2001, July 29-August 3, 2001, Copenhagen, Denmark. Kluwer Academic Publishers Group, The Netherlands, pp. 267-277. ISBN 1-4020-7132-9
- Dimitriadi, Y. (2001) Evaluating the use of multimedia authoring with dyslexic learners: a case study. British Journal of Educational Technology, 32 (3). pp. 265-275. ISSN 1467-8535 doi: 10.1111/1467-8535.00197