Staff Profile:Dr Wendy Matthews
- Dr Wendy Matthews
- Job Title:
- Director of Postgraduate Research Studies, Department of Archaeology
- Convenor Undergraduate Dissertations
- Areas of Interest:
- Near Eastern Archaeology
- Early sedentism and urbanism
- Soil micromorphology and Geoarchaeology
- Ethnoarchaeology and Experimental Archaeology
- Environmental Archaeology and Ecology
Wendy currently supervises six research students:
- Neolithic ecology and settlement networks at Çatalhöyük and Pınarbası, Turkey (Aroa Garcia-Suarez);
- Micromorphological investigation of early animal management in the Central Zagros of Iraq and Iran (Sarah Elliott);
- Neolithic and Bronze Age settlement histories and microstratigraphy in Greece (Stella Kyrillidou);
- Contextual analysis of Bronze Age networks in Cyprus and Bahrain, including pXRF analysis of stone artefacts (Helen McGauran);
- A geoarchaeological study of Neolithic open spaces in N. Greece (Georgia Koromila)
- Architecture and urbanisation in Cyprus: local and regional innovation in materials, technology and social representation (Marialucia Amadio).
Many of these research projects are interdisciplinary and jointly supervised by staff with additional expertise in the School of Archaeology, Geography and Environmental Science including: Dr Stuart Black in Geoscience (McGauran; Kyrillidou; Garcia-Suarez); Prof Bob Chapman in social complexity (McGauran), and Prof. Roger Matthews in Near Eastern and East Mediterranean archaeology (Elliot; Amadio).
Wendy is happy to discuss proposals for postgraduate and postdoctoral research in any area of: Neolithic and Bronze Age Near Eastern Archaeology and Geoarchaeology, in particular: early agricultural and urban settlement, ecology and landscapes; material engagement; and micromorphological, experimental and interdisciplinary approaches. For further information contact: Dr Wendy Matthews
- Research groups / Centres:
Dr. Wendy Matthews joined the Department staff in October 2000. She has considerable experience in Near Eastern Archaeology and soil micromorphology. Her research focuses on ecology and the built environment in early agricultural and urban landscapes and settlements. She has conducted research in Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Bahrain. Her research interests include site formation processes and taphonomy, life-histories of buildings and communities, ecology, and interdisciplinary analysis of architectural materials and archaeological sediments.
Wendy is Co-Director of the Central Zagros Archaeological Project and AHRC funded research which is investigating Sedentism and Resource Management in the Neolithic of the Central Zagros in Iraq and Iran, in collaboration with Prof Roger Matthews, Kamal Rasheed Raheem Director General of Antiquities and Heritage, Sulaimaniyah and Dr Yaghoub Mohammadifar, Bu Ali Sina University, Hamedan. The sites investigated were situated in fertile valleys on major east-west route ways through the Zagros Mountains that later became part of the Silk Road and Great Khorasan Highway. She Dr Wendy Matthews has published articles in journals such as Quaternary International and World Archaeology and in, books on Geoarchaeology, Environmental Archaeology and major archaeological sites, including Çatalhöyük and Tell Brak. She is Co-Editor of the interdisciplinary volume on the Central Zagros Archaeological Project: The Earliest Neolithic of Iran: 2008 Excavations at Sheikh-E Abad and Jani (2013).
Wendy is a member of the Scientific Committee for the International Congress on the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East; the Steering Committee for the Çatalhöyük Research Project; and the Steering Committee for the British Association for Near Eastern Archaeology. She was Chair of the British Association for Near Eastern Archaeology 2005-7 and a founder of the new Themes from the Ancient Near East BANEA Publication Series (Oxbow Books).
YNumber of items: 17.
- Shillito, L.-M. and Matthews, W. (2013) Geoarchaeological investigations of midden-formation processes in the early to late Neolithic levels at Catalhoyuk, Turkey ca. 8550-8370 cal BP. Geoarchaeology, 28 (1). pp. 25-49. ISSN 1520-6548 doi: 10.1002/gea.21427
- Matthews, W., Almond, M., Anderson, E., Wiles, J. and Williams, H.R.S. (2013) Biographies of architectural materials and buildings: integrating new high-resolution micro-analysis and geochemistry. In: Hodder, I. (ed.) Substantive Technologies at Catalhoyuk: Reports from the 2000-2008 Seasons. Los Angeles: Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press and British Institute at Ankara. (In Press)
- Walker, G., Bowen, J., Jackson, J. B., Matthews, W., Roychowdhury, S., Labaune, J., Mourou, G., Menu, M. and Hodder, I. (2013) Sub-surface terahertz imaging through uneven surfaces: visualizing Neolithic wall paintings in Çatalhöyük. Optics Express, 21 (7). 8126-8134 . ISSN 1094-4087 doi: 10.1364/OE.21.008126
- Matthews, R., Matthews, W. and Mohamadifar , Y., eds. (2013) The earliest Neolithic of Iran: 2008 excavations at Sheikh-E Abad and Jani. CZAP Report , 1. British Institute of Persian Studies and Oxbow Books, Oxford, pp224. ISBN 9781782972235 (In Press)
- Matthews, W. (2012) Defining households: micro-contextual analysis of early Neolithic households in the Zagros, Iran. In: Parker, B. J. and Foster, C. P. (eds.) Household archaeology: new perspectives from the Near East and beyond. Eisenbrauns, Winona Lake, pp. 183-216. ISBN 9781575262525
- Matthews, W. (2012) Household life-histories and boundaries. In: Tringham, R. and Stevanovic, M. (eds.) Last House on the Hill: BACH Area Reports from Çatalhöyük, 1997-2003. Monumenta Archaeologica (27). Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press and British Institute at Ankara, Los Angeles, pp. 205-224. ISBN 9781931745666
- Shillito, L.-M., Bull, I. D., Matthews, W., Almond, M., William, J. M. and Evershed, R. P. (2011) Biomolecular and micromorphological analysis of suspected faecal deposits at Neolithic Çatalhöyük, Turkey. Journal of Archaeological Science, 38 (8). pp. 1869-1877. ISSN 0305-4403 doi: 10.1016/j.jas.2011.03.031
- Shillito, L.-M., Matthews, W., Almond, M. J. and Bull, I. D. (2011) The microstratigraphy of middens: capturing daily routine in rubbish at Neolithic Çatalhöyük, Turkey. Antiquity, 85 (329). pp. 1024-1038. ISSN 0003-598X
- Matthews, W. (2010) Geoarchaeology and taphonomy of plant remains in early urban environments in the Ancient Near East. Quaternary International, 214 (1-2). pp. 98-113. ISSN 1040-6182 doi: 10.1016/j.quaint.2009.10.019
- Shillito, L. M., Almond, M. J., Nicholson, J., Pantos, M. and Matthews, W. (2009) Rapid characterisation of archaeological midden components using FT-IR spectroscopy, SEM-EDX and micro-XRD. Spectrochimica Acta Part a-Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 73 (1). pp. 133-139. ISSN 1386-1425 doi: 10.1016/j.saa.2009.02.004
- Shillito, L. M., Almond, M. J., Wicks, K., Marshall, L. J. R. and Matthews, W. (2009) The use of FT-IR as a screening technique for organic residue analysis of archaeological samples. Spectrochimica Acta Part a-Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 72 (1). pp. 120-125. ISSN 1386-1425 doi: 10.1016/j.saa.2008.08.016
- Matthews, W., Wiles, J. and Almond, M. (2006) Micromorphology and microanalysis of architectural surface materials and and residues: investigation of source materials and the life-cycle of buildings. Çatalhöyük Archive Report 2006. pp. 285-294.
- Marshall, L. J. R., Williams, J. R., Almond, M. J., Atkinson, S. D. M., Cook, S. R., Matthews, W. and Mortimore, J. L. (2005) Analysis of ochres from Clearwell Caves: the role of particle size in determining colour. Spectrochimica Acta Part a-Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 61 (1-2). pp. 233-241. ISSN 1386-1425 doi: 10.1016/j.saa.2004.03.041
- Matthews, W. (2005) Life-cycle and life-course of buildings. In: Hodder, I. (ed.) Catalhoyuk Perspectives: Themes from the 1995-9 Seasons. McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research and British Institute of Archaeology at Ankara, Cambridge.
- Mortimore, J. L., Marshall, L. J. R., Almond, M. J., Hollins, P. and Matthews, W. (2004) Analysis of red and yellow ochre samples from Clearwell Caves and Catalhoyuk by vibrational spectroscopy and other techniques. Spectrochimica Acta Part a-Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 60 (5). pp. 1179-1188. ISSN 1386-1425 doi: 10.1016/j.saa.2003.08.002
- Matthews, W. (2004) Micromorphological and microstratigraphic traces of uses and concepts of space. In: Hodder, I. (ed.) Inhabiting Catalhoyuk: Reports from the 1995-1999 Seasons. McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research and British Institute of Archaeology at Ankara, Cambridge.
- Matthews, W. (2003) Microstratigraphic sequences: indications of uses and concepts of space. In: Matthews, R.J. (ed.) Excavations at Tell Brak. Vol. 4. Exploring an Upper Mesopotamian Regional Centre, 1994-96. McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research and British School of Archaeology in Iraq, Cambridge, pp. 377-388.
- MA, Edinburgh; PhD, Cambridge