Dr Matthew Lickiss
- Department Director of Teaching and Learning
- Research Division (co-)Lead, Typography & Graphic Communication
- Module Convenor of BA modules
OfficeRoom B2, Typography & Graphic Communication
Building locationWhiteknights campus (Building 21, TOB2)
Areas of interest
My areas of interest in research focus on information design, data visualisation, and genres in multimodal document analysis.
My recent research into information design and data visualisation has been in pragmatic, multidisciplinary contexts, on Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) funded projects, working with psychologists, meteorologists and international development experts. The target audiences for this research range from experts in the European airspace industry to rural Ghanaian farmers, with an emphasis on user-centred design and an awareness of the use context for information. These projects engage with multi-stakeholder systems/services and communication chains, where the needs of all parties require careful appreciation.
I am interested in working with experts from a range of fields to use information design as a means to support decision-making and contextualise information.
I teach design practice, theory, and research across a range of modules, with key topics including data visualisation, user experience for information and service design, and typography.
- Mulder, K. , Lickiss, M. , Black, A. , Charlton-Perez, A. , McCloy, R. , Young, J. (2020) Designing environmental uncertainty information for experts and non‐experts: does data presentation affect users' decisions and interpretations?. Meteorological Applications , 27 (1). ISSN: 1350-4827 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/met.1821
- Cumiskey, L. , Lickiss, M. , Šakić Trogrlić, R. , Ali, J. (2019) Interdisciplinary pressure cooker: environmental risk communication skills for the next generation. Geoscience Communications , 2 (2). pp. 173-186. ISSN: 2569-7110 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.5194/gc-2-173-2019
- Lickiss, M. (2019) Design perspectives on multimodal documents: system, medium, and genre relations. Routledge Studies in Multimodality Routledge ISBN: 9781138096844
- Lickiss, M. and Cumiskey, L. (2019) Design skills for environmental risk communication: design in and design of an interdisciplinary workshop. The Design Journal , 22 (1). pp. 1373-1385. ISSN: 1460-6925 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14606925.2019.1594963
- Lickiss, M. , Mulder, K. , Black, A. , Charlton-Perez, A. , McCloy, R. , Chandler, R. (2017) Developing a quick guide on presenting data and uncertainty. Weather , 72 (9). pp. 266-269. ISSN: 1477-8696 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/wea.2998
- Mulder, K. , Lickiss, M. , Harvey, N. , Black, A. , Charlton-Perez, A. , Dacre, H. , McCloy, R. (2017) Visualizing volcanic ash forecasts: scientist and stakeholder decisions using different graphical representations and conflicting forecasts. Weather, Climate and Society , 9 (3). pp. 333-348. ISSN: 1948-8327 | doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.1175/WCAS-D-16-0062.1