- Programme Director for the MA Creative Enterprise
- Pathway Lead for the MA Creative Enterprise: Communication Design Pathway
- Pathway Lead for the MA Communication Design: Information Design Pathway
- Pathway Lead for the MA Communication Design: Graphic Design Pathway
- Department Research ethics chair
Areas of interestMy professional design and media experience encompasses a broad range of genres. My scholarly interests build on my multifaceted experience, focusing on design for reading and user-centred design. I have a particular interest in inclusive and socially-responsible design. I am also passionate about design pedagogy and educational innovation to support more socially-responsible practices.
I supervise doctoral students across a broad range of topics within the remit of Typography & Graphic Communication. I welcome enquiries from prospective postgraduate students on research topics related to editorial design, inclusive design, information and user-centred design, graphic design pedagogy, typography and the social role of design.
TeachingI teach design practice, theory, and research skills across a range of genres and platforms across the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
Research centres and groups
I am a member of the European E-Read COST action research network. I am also a member of the University's multidisciplinary Breaking Down Barriers inclusive design project.
“Healthclaims Unpacked” – Co-Investigator on this large European and interdisciplinary project investigating the communication of scientific health claims on food funded by the , click on the for more information
“Investigating the interplay between typographic differentiation, motivation and recall in e-learning interfaces” – lead Investigator on this European E-Read COST action STSM research project.
“Closing the digital divide and enhancing participation in social and leisure activities for individuals with acquired brain injury through near field communication technology” –
co-investigator on this recent National Institute Health Research (NIHR) Brain Injury Healthcare Technology Co-operative supported project, working with colleagues in Biomedical Engineering and Clinical Language Sciences. The project focused on evaluating the role of assistive technologies developed at the University of Reading for people with acquired brain injuries.
My PhD from the University of Reading, "Typographic meaning: readers' impressions of patterns of typographic differentiation", was jointly funded by the University of Reading and the Centre for Information Design/Simplification Centre. I also hold a Master of Arts and Bachelor of Journalism (specialising in Communication Design) from Rhodes University.
Awards and honours
I was awarded a University Teaching Fellowship in 2018.
- I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- I have served on the committee of the Information Design Association (IDA).
- Marshall, L. and Moys, J. (2020) Readers’ experiences of Braille in an evolving technological world. Visible Language , 52 (1/2). ISSN: 0022-2224
- Moys, J. (2019) Repositioning aesthetics to improve synergies between research and practice – a typographic perspective. In: Mastoridis, K. , Sioki, N. , Dyson, M. , (eds.) Design for Visual Communication: Challenges and Priorities. Cambridge Scholars Publishing , Newcastle. pp. 36-52. ISBN: 9781527529540
- Moys, J. , Martinez-Freile, C. , McCrindle, R. , Meteyard, L. , Robson, H. , Kendrick, L. , Wairagkar, M. (2018) Exploring illustration styles for materials used in visual resources for people with aphasia. Visible Language , 52 (3). pp. 96-113. ISSN: 0022-2224
- Moys, J. , Loveland, P. , Dyson, M. (2018) eInk versus paper: exploring the effects of medium and typographic quality on recall and reading speed. Visible Language , 52 (3). pp. 74-95. ISSN: 0022-2224
- Moys, J. (2018) Promoting diversity through developing a sense of community. International Journal for Students as Partners , 2 (2). pp. 135-143. ISSN: 2560-7367 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.15173/ijsap.v2i2.3547
- Moys, J. , Collier, J. , Joyce, D. (2018) By design: engaging Graphic Communication students in curriculum development. The Journal of Educational Innovation, Partnership and Change , 4 (1). ISSN: 2055-4990 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.21100/jeipc.v4i1.752
- Lee, R. and Moys, J. (2016) Exploring the relationship between language and design: a study of Hong Kong newspapers. Visible Language , 50 (2). pp. 127-149. ISSN: 0022-2224
- Loveland, P. , Moys, J. , Tollett, H. , Towriss, M. (2016) Typo-resource: developing T&L support materials through collaboration. The Journal of Educational Innovation, Partnership and Change , 2 (1). ISSN: 2055-4990 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.21100/jeipc.v2i1.238
- Moys, J. (2014) Investigating readers’ impressions of typographic differentiation using repertory grids. Visible Language , 47 (3). ISSN: 0022-2224
- Moys, J. (2014) Typographic layout and first impressions: testing how changes in text layout influence reader's judgments of documents. Visible Language , 48 (1). ISSN: 0022-2224