Dr Jeanne-Louise Moys
- Programme Director for the MA Creative Enterprise
- Pathway Lead for the MA Communication Design: Information Design Pathway
Areas of interest
Jeanne-Louise teaches design practice, theory, and research skills across a range of genres and platforms. Her professional and research interests lie in user-focused design and publishing across both digital and traditional media. Her research investigates how changing typographic presentation can shape people's impressions of information, and how people decide to engage with information across a range of everyday genres and platforms. She is also particularly interested in inclusive design and design pedagogy.
Research centres and groups
Jeanne-Louise is involved in the research activities of the Centre for Information Design Research (CIDR) and is a member of the European E-Read COST action research network. She is also the Project Chair of the University's Breaking Down Barriers inclusive design project.
Jeanne-Louise has worked as a senior designer and in editorial roles across corporate communications, educational and trade publishing, magazine and newspaper publishing, and other design sectors in both South Africa and the UK. She previously taught communication design at Rhodes University in South Africa and tutored on the graphic design and illustration programmes for the Interactive Design Institute.
Jeanne-Louise was awarded a University Teaching Fellow in 2018 and is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. She holds a Bachelor of Journalism (specialising in Communication Design) and a Master of Arts from Rhodes University. Her master's research explored the articulation of visual identity in the post-apartheid South African design industry. Her PhD from the University of Reading, "Typographic meaning: readers' impressions of patterns of typographic differentiation", was jointly funded by the University of Reading and the Centre for Information Design/Simplification Centre.
Professional bodies/affiliationsBeyond the University, Jeanne-Louise also serves on the committee of the Information Design Association (IDA).
- Marshall, L. and Moys, J. (2020) Readers’ experiences of Braille in an evolving technological world. Visible Language , 52 (1/2). ISSN: 0022-2224
- Moys, J. (2019) Repositioning aesthetics to improve synergies between research and practice – a typographic perspective. Design for Visual Communication: Challenges and Priorities. Cambridge Scholars Publishing , Newcastle. pp. 36-52. ISBN: 9781527529540
- Moys, J. , Martinez-Freile, C. , McCrindle, R. , Meteyard, L. , Robson, H. , Kendrick, L. , Wairagkar, M. (2018) Exploring illustration styles for materials used in visual resources for people with aphasia. Visible Language , 52 (3). pp. 96-113. ISSN: 0022-2224
- Moys, J. , Loveland, P. , Dyson, M. (2018) eInk versus paper: exploring the effects of medium and typographic quality on recall and reading speed. Visible Language , 52 (3). pp. 74-95. ISSN: 0022-2224
- Moys, J. , Collier, J. , Joyce, D. (2018) By design: engaging Graphic Communication students in curriculum development. The Journal of Educational Innovation, Partnership and Change , 4 (1). ISSN: 2055-4990 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.21100/jeipc.v4i1.752
- Moys, J. (2018) Promoting diversity through developing a sense of community. International Journal for Students as Partners , 2 (2). pp. 135-143. ISSN: 2560-7367 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.15173/ijsap.v2i2.3547
- Moys, J. (2017) Visual rhetoric in information design: designing for credibility and engagement. Information Design: research and practice. Routledge , Farnham, UK. ISBN: 9780415786324 (Part 2, chapter 12)
- Lee, R. and Moys, J. (2016) Exploring the relationship between language and design: a study of Hong Kong newspapers. Visible Language , 50 (2). pp. 127-149. ISSN: 0022-2224
- Loveland, P. , Moys, J. , Tollett, H. , Towriss, M. (2016) Typo-resource: developing T&L support materials through collaboration. The Journal of Educational Innovation, Partnership and Change , 2 (1). ISSN: 2055-4990 | doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.21100/jeipc.v2i1.238
- Moys, J. (2014) Typographic layout and first impressions: testing how changes in text layout influence reader's judgments of documents. Visible Language , 48 (1). ISSN: 0022-2224
- Moys, J. (2014) Investigating readers’ impressions of typographic differentiation using repertory grids. Visible Language , 47 (3). ISSN: 0022-2224