Statistical Advisory Service
We provide a free-of-charge Statistical Advisory Service to all University of Reading registered postgraduate students who engage in research. (Undergraduates should instead visit the Mathematics Support Centre, as should postgraduates requiring assistance with coursework that is not linked to a project). It is also open to staff whose research has no external funding.
Click the menu items in the information sidebar to find out more. If you want to book an appointment, click here.
How it works
The Statistical Advisory Service runs as an appointment service only. Appointments are scheduled according to the availability of an appropriate advisor. Please note that in some instances we may not be able to provide advice, e.g. if your query is in a specialised area of statistics or about a non-University supported software package where we have no-one with the relevant expertise.
Appointments are usually for up to 45 minutes duration and will be for a maximum of 60 minutes. If it is not possible to finish the problem within this time frame then further appointments are possible, through resubmission of the booking form in the normal way. However, pleae note that the usual situation is to limit the number of appointments to a maximum of three per person within a three month period. It is therefore important that you come prepared so that you can get what you need from the service in the time available.
What the Advisory Service can do for you
Advice at the planning stage of research can help to:
- ensure that the proposed research investigation is designed to address the research objectives within the resource limitations as efficiently as possible
- identify best practices for data management prior to the start of data collection
- check that the computation facilities necessary to analyse the results are available.
Input at the data analysis stage can help to:
- identify suitable statistical methods that will address study objectives
- impliment the analysis using appropriate statistical software
- ensure that reliable and evidence based conclusions can be drawn from the analysis
- ensure best-practice presentation of results.
Even if you have attended a statistics course before and are familiar with some basic statistical ideas, you may find that a visit to the Advisory Service helps to relate these ideas to your particular problem.