The University has a number of policies and networks in place to support staff, including:
- Diversity and Equality Networks including the BAME Network, LGBT Plus Network, Parent and Family Network, Staff Disability Network and women@reading
- Health and Wellbeing of Staff
- Centre for Quality Support and Development
- People Development Nursery facilities
School policies and support
In addition to University wide support for staff, the School has a number of policies designed to support staff in probation, progression and promotion.
Current arrangements are such that staff new to academic posts are provided with a mentor within their Department. New staff are also supported through their probationary period (usually 3 years) by one or more general mentors. Staff considering promotion are provided with a specialist mentor.
Provision of mentorship is currently being reviewed within SPEIR and future plans aim to:
- Formalise the existing mentor scheme and expand mentoring culture by:
- Including mentoring for grant applications to provide longer term support around research development.
- Guidance on career support expectations of Professors and research advice and support.
- Making mentoring available to staff at any stage of career – including a discussion of mentoring needs in PDRs, and in meetings around maternity and parental leave planning.
- Inviting and supporting a range of staff to develop as mentors and using mentors from outside SPEIR.
Timings of meetings, seminars and working hours
All School and departmental wide meetings are held before 16:00. Minutes and agendas are circulated in advance to allow contributions from those unable to attend.